Feedback hum using new Les Paul zebra treble pickup

joe3723

Reaction score
I just got a Les Paul Classic Lite (thinner body), built Oct '19. It has zebra pickups, no covers. With the volume on amp fairly loud and volume knob on guitar on 10, on treble pickup, when I mute the strings, I am getting dreadful feedback, sounds like a loud low-pitch hum, similarly to what you might hear with bad feedback you get with a PA. I have tried another guitar, much older, DiMarzio pickups, and set at exactly same volume, standing in same spot, and muting the strings, dead silence. I have tried the neck pickup and the hum is not as bad. Has anyone experienced this with new zebra humbuckers on a new Gibson, particularly on bridge pickup? "Fairly loud" is for me a Marshall 50W volume on about 2.5. Hum only happens when strings are muted. The hum kicks in in less than half a second after muting the strings. I have tried standing as far as about 7 feet from cabinet, facing away from it. I do not think it is a issue with the pickup being too close to the speaker. Please help!

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have zebras (496/500) on one of my guitars...
no issue as ur describing...

sounds like a ground from the tailpiece if u are having on both pups while muting..

im not a luthier but I’ve had a couple do the same thing...

zebras can be any pup btw...from 57 to ceramics, it’s just a plastic choice

-Chris

joe3723

Reaction score
Thanks. Will open up the back and check the grounding. Just for clarification, the noise does not sound like a noise that would be created by bad wiring. It isn't like a buzzing or an electrical hum. It sounds like just very undesirable feedback. At low volume, I do not get such feedback. I do not know the model of the zebra pickup. It would be whatever zebra-type pickup is being put in new GIbsons, I imagine. My fear is that these new pickups cannot manage being idle at high volume without causing this ugly, uncontrollable feedback. But I will check the wiring, thank you.

joe3723

Reaction score
More on this. I am able to create the sound even by swapping out every element of the sound chain, including the new guitar and the house I played in. Using 3 different guitars, different cables straight into the amp, 3 different amps, and different house, I am getting loud, low pitch feedback when I mute the strings at a volume above 2.5 on a 50W Marshall, and at volume 10 on a 20W Orange MicroTerror, both with the gain maxed out. I even used different speaker cabinets. This is with guitar bridge pickup treble volume on ten and strings muted. Problem is not happening with neck pickup on multiple guitars, nor when the strings are being hit. The rooms are about 22’ x 12’ and have a lot of equipment in them, and I can even get the bad feedback over 15’ away from the speakers in most places where I stand. A few spots yield no feedback, but it’s unmanageable.

So, the problem does not appear to be the new Les Paul pickups. The only thing I can think of that may be causing this, as silly as it seems, might be something in the air or the humidity. My allergies are really bad right now so for sure the pollen count is way up there. The humidity is at 90%. If anyone can shed any light on this, I’m all ears. Thank you for the comments so far.

joe3723

Reaction score
Update: I have not had the feedback since, nor have I had nose problems. As odd as it seems, I think the two-or-so weeks the pollen is really bad in the spring affects guitar feedback greatly.

dro

Reaction score
move. There is a knob on the bottom of the guitar that controls the volume. Turn it counter clockwise. With extreme volume, amp should be at your back. No less than 8 to 10 feet away. Where are you playing? In you're bedroom? When you learn to work your volume knob, everyone is happier.

Last edited:

Latest Threads