Feds blame combination of parasite, virus, bacteria, pesticides for strange bee disap

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
We seem reluctant to change our ways, so I will miss honey....and apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, citrus fruit, cranberries......

Feds blame combination of parasite, virus, bacteria, pesticides for strange bee disappearance

By Seth Borenstein, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press – 14 hours ago
WASHINGTON - A new federal report blames a combination of problems for a mysterious and dramatic disappearance of U.S. honeybees since 2006.
The intertwined factors cited include a parasitic mite, multiple viruses, bacteria, poor nutrition, genetics, habitat loss and pesticides.
The multiple causes make it harder to do something about what's called colony collapse disorder, experts say. The disorder has caused as much as one-third of the nation's bees to just disappear each winter since 2006.
Bees, especially honeybees, are needed to pollinate crops.
The federal report, issued Thursday by the Agriculture Department and the Environmental Protection Agency, said the biggest culprit is the parasitic mite varroa destructor, calling it "the single most detrimental pest of honeybees."
The problem has also hit bee colonies in Europe, where regulators are considering a ban on a type of pesticides known as neonicotinoids that some environmental groups blame for the bee collapse. The U.S. report cites pesticides, but near the bottom of the list of factors. And federal officials and researchers advising them said the science doesn't justify a ban of the pesticides yet.
May Berenbaum, a top bee researcher from the University of Illinois, said in an interview that she was "extremely dubious" that banning the pesticide would have any effect on bee health. She participated in a large conference of scientists that the government brought together last year to figure out what's going on, and the new report is the result of that conference.
Berenbaum said more than 100 different chemicals — not just the pesticides that may be banned in Europe — have been found in bee colonies. Scientists find it hard to calculate how they react in different dosages and at different combinations, she said.
Some of these chemicals harm the immune systems of bees or amplify viruses, said Penn State University bee expert Diana Cox-Foster.
At a news conference Thursday, Sonny Ramaswamy, a top USDA official, said the scientific consensus is that there are multiple factors "and you can't parse any one out to be the smoking gun."
USDA bee researcher Jeff Pettis also cited modern farming practices that often leave little forage area for bees.
Dave Gaulson of the University of Stirling in Scotland, who conducted a study last year that implicated the chemical, said he can't disagree with the overall conclusions of the U.S. government report. However, he said it could have emphasized pesticides more.
The environmental group, Pesticide Action Network North America blasted the federal government for not following
Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines Page 1 of 2
Feds blame combination of parasite, virus, bacteria, pesticides for strange bee disappearance - Yahoo! News Canada 13-05-03 8:52 AM
Europe's lead in looking at a ban of certain pesticides.
Pollinators, like honeybees, are crucial to the U.S. food supply. About $30 billion a year in agriculture depends on their health, said Ramaswamy.
Besides making honey, honeybees pollinate more than 90 flowering crops. Among them are a variety of fruits and vegetables: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, citrus fruit and cranberries. About one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80 per cent of that pollination.
"It affects virtually every American whether they realize it or not," said EPA acting administrator Bob Perciasepe.
Zac Browning, a fourth-generation commercial beekeeper who has hives in Idaho, North Dakota and California, said the nation is "on the brink" of not having enough bees to pollinate its crops.
University of Maryland entomologist David Inouye, who was not part of the federal report, said he agrees that there are multiple causes.
"It's not a simple situation. If it were one factor we would have identified it by now," he said.
Inouye, president-elect of the Ecological Society of America, said the problems in Europe and United States may be slightly different. In America, bee hives are trucked from farm to farm to pollinate large tracts of land and that may help spread the parasites and disease, as well as add stress to the colonies, while in Europe they stay put so those issues may not be as big a factor.
At the news conference, Berenbaum said there's no single solution to the U.S. bee problem: "We're not really well equipped or even used to fighting on multiple fronts."

Blues4U

Reaction score
This is something that human kind better get a handle on and soon-Its not new news, but its serious business that could cause an ecco collapse of biblical proportions--

I like honey bees and know their value-

Wasps, hornets and yellow jackets-- I no like too much-

Lurko

Reaction score
It's the pesticides, period. This is not fvcking rocket science. Add insecticide to plants and the insects that feed on them are going to die. Duh.

cmh6122

Reaction score
An indicator of how intertwined our environment is. Ma will erase us if we do not show more respect.
The worst seems to be past here. Couple years back I went the whole of insect weather without seeing any honeybees, but last year don't think a day went by that I spent any time out of doors where I did not see them.

Paracelsian

Reaction score
It's the pesticides, period. This is not fvcking rocket science. Add insecticide to plants and the insects that feed on them are going to die. Duh.

Hence the reason organic controls are finally becoming more popular, as they should. Buy/grow organic produce and support the movement y'all.

truckermde

Reaction score
lǎo​wài;5090460 said:

this is the deal. These corporations are all interested in owning the rights to plants, and they can only do that by genetically modifying them, often with pesticides. But don't worry, they can't harm US. Or bees, apparently...:hmm:

truckermde

Reaction score
Monsanto are evil personified. Illuminati are a joke. I don't see the correlation...

Paracelsian

Reaction score
this is the deal. These corporations are all interested in owning the rights to plants, and they can only do that by genetically modifying them, often with pesticides. But don't worry, they can't harm US. Or bees, apparently...:hmm:

Thats why MJ hasn't been re-classed at the fed level. Monsanto is trying to engineer genetically controlled plants that do not produce viable seed and cannot be cloned. You'll have to go directly to them to secure your seed stock. Once they succeed guess what'll happen........

Paracelsian

Reaction score
Monsanto are evil personified. Illuminati are a joke. I don't see the correlation...

It was a bad joke, like most of mine are (I just like to poke at the kooks, according to them they are a huge player in the Illuminati ring).

upl8tr

Reaction score
Personally I don't care who or what is to blame as long as it gets sorted out, PRONTO! :shock:

Scooter2112

Reaction score
The intertwined factors cited include a parasitic mite, multiple viruses, bacteria, poor nutrition, genetics, habitat loss and pesticides.

Pretty much the bane of all existent life.

Sounds like they don't have a f'ing clue.

Something tells me that this is a casting call for some lobbying dollars. :hmm:

Alden

Reaction score
Hence the reason organic controls are finally becoming more popular, as they should. Buy/grow organic produce and support the movement y'all.

Organic controls are not becoming "more popular." Where do you get that data? The overwhelming majority of existing and new agricultural operations are conventional.

The world would starve or begin to kill each other over food supplies if all farmers grew "organically." We can't exist on less than half of the conventional yields that organic gives us. And there are two billion more people coming in the next few decades. How are you going to feed them?

Organic is a big con to get you to pay more money for less food.

Go ahead and grow or buy your own.

Sounds great, makes you feel "warm and fuzzy," but it doesn't work in the great scope of things.
Alden

So What

Reaction score

This deserves to be posted again.

I don't know if you're right, but the simplicity of it sure makes sense to me.

Paracelsian

Reaction score
Organic controls are not becoming "more popular." Where do you get that data? The overwhelming majority of existing and new agricultural operations are conventional.

The world would starve or begin to kill each other over food supplies if all farmers grew "organically." We can't exist on less than half of the conventional yields that organic gives us. And there are two billion more people coming in the next few decades. How are you going to feed them?

Organic is a big con to get you to pay more money for less food.

Go ahead and grow or buy your own.

Sounds great, makes you feel "warm and fuzzy," but it doesn't work in the great scope of things.

Alden

Actually all my indoor crops are chem-nute based because I don't need insecticides which is what I was referring to. Organic cert'd produce is not only grown with orgo nutes but orgo eradication methods, which is a good thing.
I used to agree on orgo not yielding chem levels, but I know plenty of folks who yield the equivalent of me and they are full on granola. And PROVIDE DATA to back up your claims. And then lets talk about leached metals content, noob.

Latest Threads