FDP's NOOB

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
Nice! I love the headstock. What colour plastics and knobs are you going to use?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks, ffp. i'm planning on chrome hardware, gold knobs, no pickguard, and stew mac cream rings that i kinds do a little sumpin' sumpin' too to tone down that awkward look I think they have. I'll spray them offwhite, then rub on and buff off some amber stain.

thanks for viewing.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks, sully. i'm running way in the back of the pack trying to catch you big dogs. thanks for all the help.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That is a different style volute from what you typically see. Any pics of the rough cut neck before you sanded it back?
fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture56063-erics-guitar-03-18-13-002.jpg

sorry this is so late coming to you jeff, but i've been tied up with several things and forgot to post this for you. I basically cut it out roughly as shown, then go to my free standing belt sander and shape the neck, and the volute just ends up being along for the ride. It sort of determines it's own silhouette. hope this helps

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
done...
fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture56267-img-0620.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture56275-img-0628.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture56273-img-0629.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture56279-img-0636.jpg

well, as always, got some small things not completley thrilled with, but am generally satisfied with the cosmetics. I'm told it plays and sounds better than the others, so I guess that's a good thing.

A special thanks to my oldest son, Anthony for the help with the pics. I bought a new camera several months ago, and it is way more than i can deal with. He shot these and set them up. We have to do something with our lighting, but didn't have time, as this one is set to go out the door tomorrow.
...and to all you eagle eyes, I know I don't have the screws in the tuners in the pic. My wife has since found them and all is well.

This has a set of barnaby's pups in it, and the last one to play it says it is the best pups he has player. thumbs up, good buddy. ya done good!

thanks to all.

cain61

Reaction score
Very well done! That is a sharp looking ax, sir. I hope mine turns out half as well.

emoney

Reaction score
Great job my "slightly overweight, patriarchal evangelist (see what I did there with the name, heh, heh?)! Not only does the guitar look great, but the pictures look purely professional!

Bruiser74

Reaction score
Superb! Love the top grain and color on the back.
B

emoney

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I'd like to hear you say "Pictures portray pure professionalism" 3 times really, really fast.

Jusamies

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I'd like to hear you say "Pictures portray pure professionalism" 3 times really, really fast.

I can't be the only one who always tries these. :laugh2:

(I succeeded. :dude:)

I like the result very much. I think the top's nice, color's cool, you know, the usual stuff. Very pro looking indeed. :thumb:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. ya'll are waaay to generous to an old fart that can't hold a light to most of this stuff i see.

as far as the tongue twister, i just spit all over the place.

love your wit, e.

one of the most favorite thinngs i get from those that played it is the pickups. Our buddy in tokyo absolutely knocked it out of the park with these things. I'm real interested to see how to recipient responds later this week when he gets it. One player told me that the brigde pickup in particular was the finest bridge pickup that he has ever played. sounds like master B has potential afterall.

thanks again, guys. i appreciate all the support.

Barnaby

Reaction score
thanks guys. ya'll are waaay to generous to an old fart that can't hold a light to most of this stuff i see.

as far as the tongue twister, i just spit all over the place.

love your wit, e.

one of the most favorite thinngs i get from those that played it is the pickups. Our buddy in tokyo absolutely knocked it out of the park with these things. I'm real interested to see how to recipient responds later this week when he gets it. One player told me that the brigde pickup in particular was the finest bridge pickup that he has ever played. sounds like master B has potential afterall.

thanks again, guys. i appreciate all the support.

Aw shucks! Honest, I just put the wire on the bobbins...and pickups can't amplify a tone that isn't there. :D

Great photos of a fantastic guitar. You went from wondering about making an instrument to this level of building is such a short time! :wow:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
By way of update. Guitar was delivered to Eric at apx 2 o'clock thursday. His set up guy was there waiting for it. They played it and set it up and Eric gigged with it thursday nite. he just emailed me and said it 'sounds great and plays great'. He's planning on doing another gig with it tonight, the one he has scheduled on apr 6, one more the following weekend, then he is playing guitar for Terrence Simeon at the New Orleans Jazz Fest at the end of April, where he is planning on playing it there also.

Thanks to all the help from you guys, this is a little short of unbelievable for me. The amount of information that comes from this forum can't be described.

videos forth coming when he can catch his breath and arrange something.

thanks again.

Barnaby

Reaction score
By way of update. Guitar was delivered to Eric at apx 2 o'clock thursday. His set up guy was there waiting for it. They played it and set it up and Eric gigged with it thursday nite. he just emailed me and said it 'sounds great and plays great'. He's planning on doing another gig with it tonight, the one he has scheduled on apr 6, one more the following weekend, then he is playing guitar for Terrence Simeon at the New Orleans Jazz Fest at the end of April, where he is planning on playing it there also.

Thanks to all the help from you guys, this is a little short of unbelievable for me. The amount of information that comes from this forum can't be described.

videos forth coming when he can catch his breath and arrange something.

thanks again.

:applause::applause::applause::applause:
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eric Johanson giving SN 003 a little run at some stage time in Baton Rouge earlier today

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YsVL0qwqAI&feature=share]Eric Johanson sings at Fest for All, Downtown, Baton Rouge - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads