FDP's NOOB

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
black walnut. i will shoot it transparent black where most of the grain characteristics will remain...just a little different than jet black. It's what i did on the one for the high school last year and it turned out okay. this pic doesn't do it justice, as the flash introduced too much light. in natural setting it gives the look i wanted.
fatdaddypreacher-albums-menard-picture50832-08-20-12-double-dip-002.jpg

BleedingGums

Reaction score
OK thanks. I thought it might be walnut but as I am still getting my feet wet with respect to recognizing various wood types I wanted to make sure. BTW - I watched the Double Dip go down and enjoyed the whole thread - and even with the flash I can tell that headstock looks cool.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks BG, I appreciate it. I'm really feeling good about this one. it seems to be falling into place a lot easier with better end results. I hope it turns out, as it will get a lot of exposure.

cain61

Reaction score
Awesome job, very well done. Love the headstock logo.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
entering final prep stage before shooting clear. started with epoxy, but sanded back and went with egg white. me thinks me likes egg white.
fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55775-erics-guitar-03-09-008.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55776-erics-guitar-03-09-009.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55777-erics-guitar-03-09-015.jpg

I have since set in my pearl hs logo blanks and filled with expoxy. i am doing what i think is final sanding, hoping to shoot it this weekend, time and weather permitting. this is the first one i am painting without wiring and playing it a bit, but i did string it up to be sure it fretted okay as far as i could tell. it seems fine.

this is addicting.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I know haha I need to get to work. My excuse is the weather and school. Ill try to cut something up this week!

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
got a little paint on today. it is transparent black, but turns deep burgandy in bright light. binding is scraped, but still have to work on headstock and some detail areas, then it's clear coating tomorrow.

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55990-erics-guitar-03-15-13-013.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55989-erics-guitar-03-15-13-012.jpg

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Looking good! I reallyike those color choices they look well together! After my first cuts on my build all I want to do is more! This guitar building thing is addictive!

jeff.longino

Reaction score
That is a different style volute from what you typically see. Any pics of the rough cut neck before you sanded it back?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. it's turning out better than the others did at these stages, but i'm still not where i want to be.

@jeff/ i like a strong volute. it IMO adds class as well as strength to the neck area, plus is a dead giveaway that it ain't a G. I'll post a pic of a couple of blanks I have in waiting.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
jeff, didn't have any good pics of neck in the rough. will post acouple i just took of one i have on upcoming build after i clear coat today and take pics of that. weather is great here, so hoping to have that done by this evening. thanks.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks, ken. i have a long way to go, but i think i'm heading in the right direction.

Latest Threads