FDP's NOOB

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i'll untangle a mess as briefly as I can, but this is a build i started in 'double dip' and was intended for the church. things have changed a bit and I have the church build covered in the original 'double dip' thread, even though the guitar has been built a while. It turned out way better than I expected, so it will go to the church.

This build will be quite special, as things kind of turned on me a bit. The young man that played in my current high school build clip is quite accomplished and plays professionally out of New Orleans. He has offered to field test one of my builds, so I designated this one to be it. He is quite pleased with both guitars he has played (the one now going to the church, and the high school build) I am stoked that he says he wouldn't have a problem gigging with either one once set up to his liking. I feel so fortunate to have someone like him willing to help me work the bugs out of my building process.

So, with only a couple of pics to bring us up to speed, I will just say it will be pretty straight up. .Another ghastly one piece cedar back with a 3 pc cedar neck. It will have a sister cut of rosewood from the same blank as used on the high school build.

He likes the 25" scale on his PRS, so I will build this one to the same.

I will go bluesy on the pups, and make a decision later as we close in on that.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the kind words, support, and help you guys have shown. I hope this one will be as much fun and rewarding as the others have been.

It may start off a little slow, as I still have to detail out the high school and finish some on the church and ready it for paint, but will be working on this one as I go along on the others.

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture44771-double-dip-02-04-12-009.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture51128-double-dip-02-11-12-008.jpg

neck blank is glued up and roughed in, but no pics yet.

things should speed up a bit on this one in a couple of weeks or so.

NOOB in this case will be New Orleans Or Bust

thanks.

VictOr358

Reaction score
Fatdaddypreacher, I don't really perceive you as a noob, honestly. I've seen what you can do. For me, a true noob, it's a priceless tutorial :thumb:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you're very kind, thank you, but i haven't been down the road far enough to be anything else. Hell, I still get my volume and tones wired backwards!

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i think i just got what you're referring to. actually, i'm too old to remember what i'm going to name a thread, and to stupid to go back and edit the title, but NOOB in this case refers to New Orleans Or Bust. I have a musician willing to trouble shoot a build for me and give me feedback, so, my next build---this one---is for him....but i'm still a noob.

VictOr358

Reaction score
i think i just got what you're referring to. actually, i'm too old to remember what i'm going to name a thread, and to stupid to go back and edit the title, but NOOB in this case refers to New Orleans Or Bust. I have a musician willing to trouble shoot a build for me and give me feedback, so, my next build---this one---is for him....but i'm still a noob.

Cut it now, seriously :) I have a basic musical education, "major" in trumpet, and that was like 23 years ago. Luckily, nowadays I have a possibility to invest into some good woods and cheapo power tools :laugh2: ...and some (very limited) time to create. So I'm the noob here, even though I've never been in N.O. :thumb:
You are doing a great effort to share a valuable experience, so why so humble? ;)

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
oh, stop it, silly boy...i'm blushing.:)I don't take compliments well. I'm exceedingly hard on myself and can't seem to help it. you guys keep raising the bar, and it's putting pressure on the old man. too bad you're so far away. you sand like a hoot to hang with.

thanks for the kind words and the support. i love your thread.

VictOr358

Reaction score
oh, stop it, silly boy...i'm blushing.:)I don't take compliments well. I'm exceedingly hard on myself and can't seem to help it. you guys keep raising the bar, and it's putting pressure on the old man. too bad you're so far away. you sand like a hoot to hang with.

thanks for the kind words and the support. i love your thread.

images

I've been wondering what's so special about my sanding technique :shock: It took a while... :)

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
finally getting back to some shop time. this is my NOOB- New Orleans Or Bust guitar. by way of update, i'm building this for the son of one of my high school classmates. His name is Eric Johanson. He plays professionally out of New Orleans and is going to be my field tester. He has played for a couple or so of the Neville Brothers, and is currently touring with Grammy Award winner Terrence Simeon---Louisiana zydeco music, but Eric also is gigging for himself with some blues gigs. I am planning on having this guitar ready for Apr 6 so he can use it in his Fest All gig in Baton Rouge. I am so blessed to have an opportunity to have a talented young musician that is willing to work with me to help me make a better guitar. Anyway, here's the latest.
fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55446-guitar-pic-02-24-13-033.jpg

One piece sp cedar back, 3 piece sp cedar neck, rosewood fretboard w/no inlays and 25" scale (as per his request). Top is bookmatch maple with a bit of birdseye thing, pictured earlier in the thread.
fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55448-guitar-pic-02-24-13-035.jpg

pieces dry fit before glueing fretboard.
fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55450-guitar-pic-02-24-13-040.jpg

got a little glue thing going on.

hopefully after work this week i'll get the binding put on the body and shape the neck so this weekend i can glue it up.

j.six

Reaction score
Sweet! 25" scale, eh? Now you're talkin!

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks, sully. his main axe is a PRS, so we wanted to keep the same scale. You may be pleased to know that i will be using the counsel you rendered on using epoxy as a base/grain filler on cedar. it worked so well on the last build, i will be doing same here...thanks for your help

j.six

Reaction score
I'm a 25.5 guy myself, but you're getting warmer! :) Zpoxy is your friend.

Sully

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a little closer to assembly and paint;

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55563-erics-guitar-015.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55561-erics-guitar-021.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55562-erics-guitar-022.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55564-erics-guitar-013.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55566-erics-guitar-028.jpg

fatdaddypreacher-albums-noob-picture55565-erics-guitar-019.jpg

still have sanding a some detailing to do yet, but i'm trying to stay in your good graces by doing a little something. i hope to be able to paint next weekend. it's 55* and windy today anyway.

thanks for viewing.

BleedingGums

Reaction score
That is looking nice. I really like the headstock veneer.
BTW - I'll trade you my 28* for your 55*.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks on the thumbs up on the hs veneer, but no thanks on the offer to trade temp. wow, i don't think i could handle that. i don't do cold weather like i used to.
as far as the veneer, that comes from scraps at work when we cut around knots, etc. I resaw it on my bandsaw. works great and is a little different.

thanks.

BleedingGums

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I missed it - but did you specify what the veneer is? I really like the color along with the dark figure.

Latest Threads