Favorite SG & Amp set-up

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered if u miss the neck pup?
juniors are so iconic
Have to learn the Tone and Volume knob IF you want similar tones to a neck pickup. AND, IMHO needs the taper and wiring, to give a broader effective sweep on said Tone pot. If what you play doesn't need that, well, answers itself.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to learn the Tone and Volume knob IF you want similar tones to a neck pickup. AND, IMHO needs the taper and wiring, to give a broader effective sweep on said Tone pot. If what you play doesn't need that, well, answers itself.

i play 90% of the time on my neck or neck/middle on 3 pup…
I’m a bedroom player and when I do play the bridge I have the volume rolled back so low…suppose I tend towards that sound

my “rock“ tone tends to be “springy” like mark knopflers (almost always on neck)…
or like 10 years gone(despite that being a zillion guitars its what I tend towards)…

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just recently got an SG Special, I love p90’s in an SG. Yours looks stunning. I have a similar set up as well, mostly playing through my amp sim and modelling amps these days since my neighbors don’t like noise.
This is mine.
F2433659-29-F1-4-C2-E-B6-A7-33-F031-F3307-E.jpg

Really happy with the tones I get with this and Guitar Rig 6. Just made a video with that setup here.

You rotten SOB. How did you score one of those so recently?! They’re sold out everywhere. I am having huge GAS for the Pelham Blue Special. I can’t track one down at all.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You rotten SOB. How did you score one of those so recently?! They’re sold out everywhere. I am having huge GAS for the Pelham Blue Special. I can’t track one down at all.
Ha ha. My local L&M had two Pelham Blue Specials a few years ago, but I passed on both of them because I was over seeing the color :laugh2: When they got a Vintage Sparkling Burgundy one, I pounced.

I'd link you to five that are available at L&M, but that would be mean because they won't ship out of Canada :) I think you'd be SOL for a warranty, too.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I was as surprised as you! I wanted one but saw they got discontinued just a few weeks before I was in the market for one. Couldn’t find it anywhere online and my sales guy at Guitar Center said there were none in stock at any store. So I called it quits and ordered a regular SG from him and left the Guitar Center, but on a whim popped into a SamAsh that was nearby and saw this SG special hanging on the wall there. Was surprised to say the least! But I took it as a sign haha.

I tried it out and didn’t hesitate, bought it on the spot and cancelled my other order. Apparently they had this special in the back for a while and forgot to bring it out. I actually saw SamAsh had these available online up until recently and they still have a sparkling burgunady available to order in the website it seems. Bit of a long shot but I’d give SamAsh a call and see if they have any left over stock. They seemed to have some until recently.
The other option is stock the Gibson Demo Shop. I see the pelham blue ones pop up every now and then. Hope one finds it’s way to you soon! They’re still out there and since it’s a recent model, I think more will pop up on the used market soon.

Last edited:

cooltouch

Reaction score
I was just browsing the listings over at Guitar Center. They don't have those SG Specials in blue and burgundy anymore, but they do have the Special in the classic translucent cherry red finish and black. Great looking guitars. The one in the cherry red finish looks identical to the one I owned decades ago.

SG Special.jpg

So, just sayin' -- the SG Specials are still out there -- and the colors ain't half bad, either.

Last edited:

68goldtop

Reaction score
Hi!

My ´04 SG Standard and ´67 Deluxe have been my main rig since, yeah, about 2010!

SG + Deluxe.jpg

Mind you, I´m not going for a "nice, clean Fender sound" - more of a "Live at Leeds"-sound at manageable volume-levels ;)

cheers - 68.

Last edited:

cooltouch

Reaction score
Permission to revise and extend my remarks? Thankyou.

I recently bought a 2022 SG Special with P90s. Prior to that, my only SG was my 88 Showcase Edition with EMGs. I love both guitars, so it's kinda like asking which child you love the most. But given that my Special is my newest, and the one I'm spending the most time with these days, I gotta say that -- for now -- my favorite SG/Amp combo is my 2022 Special and my Marshall DSL40cr. A spectacular combination.

Latest Threads