Favorite LP ever?!

frater106

Reaction score
What was the nicest Les Paul you’ve ever played? What made it so special?

John

Reaction score
Regarding mine that fully retain the LP shape (ie- no PRS, no ESP's that have been available on the US market), I'd go with the custom builds I own. Instead of waiting on my laurels for a production model that's entirely relevant to me, I was able to commission a couple separate builds with my niche preferences, mainly under the hood so to speak. For example:

-More than 22 frets
-Floating trem
-Wide thin neck carves and flatter fretboard radii
-Nicer bookmatched tops
-25" and 25.5" scale lengths
-Black, blank ebony boards with Luminlays on the side

The first one is a 6 string from a builder I befriended in the same town where I went to uni.

The second one is a 7 string build from a builder about an hour away from my locality, last I recall.

Deftone

Reaction score
My '00 Standard Raw Power was a winner in every way. I swapped all the cream plastics for black. Tone was off the charts.

RP.jpg

'14 Standard 120 Light Honey burst is my best playing and sounding at the moment. It came with ZW EMG's I swapped for full chrome. Weight relived, thin body...it's amazing.

20200924_175111a.jpg

My #1 '89 LP Custom Lite with Floyd. It's thin and it has a Floyd. Currently set up with EMG 81/85 set.

IMG_2036a.JPG

Spudvader

Reaction score
I've not played too many LPs but I've owned a couple, a Classic (my first LP) with the slimmer neck which I didn't like because of the neck, a Traditional with a bigsby which had a chunky neck...I didn't like that either because of the neck. I love the Gibson LP sound, shape, weight but don't like the necks because of the nut width being slightly wider than Fenders which I prefer. I now have an 04 Custom and I love it, I'm happy to say it's a lifer. The nut isn't that much slimmer over standard sized nut but it certainly makes it more comfortable

Last edited:

601Ken

Reaction score
Mine was an 84 tobacco burst factory second Custom. I foolishly traded it for an 89 black custom that had absolutely no tone. I was going for "looks". We all have regrets! :)

juanpuol

Reaction score
What was the nicest Les Paul you’ve ever played? What made it so special?
Mine. A 2019 LP Traditional. It made it very special that after many years dreaming with one, and having had an Epi, I finalle pulled the trigger on an LP :)

hisasahisasaki

Reaction score
Les Paul Studio Lite 1995 is an integral part of my daily work.
It uses balsa wood (they call Chromyte insert) inside instead of weight relief, so it's very light and perfect for long hours of studio work.

With a very good quality ebony fretboard, Schaller's bridge is very sturdy.
I recently replaced the GOTOH OEM tuners to a GOTOH locking type. I aimed to improve the gear ratio rather than the locking function.

I'd like another one, but it's not widely distributed in the second-hand market. By the way, I bought this for $ 400 lol
LPSL1995.jpg
LPSL1995_Tuner.jpg

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I bought this Gibson Les Paul Standard new in 2003. She’s been my #1 since. After MANY gigs I just swapped out the Burstbuckers for a set of nickel covered Slash pickups, replaced the worn out bridge and tailpiece for aluminum Gotoh’s and added locking Kluson tuners. Love that it still looks factory…“Emma’s” ready for another 18 years now!
8244E7C5-E360-43FE-B421-BB7E5928A0B2.jpeg

zdoggie

Reaction score
my first was an 83 standard vintage cherry burst , I traded mine for a neck thru robin absolutely a beautiful guitar,like 601Ken I regret that move I hated the neck and it sounded tinny I had usa pickups aftre owning a couple of LP later
I learned to love the chunky neck .

zdog

DVHII

Reaction score
My 1954 Les Paul Custom. Bought it in '72 for $600 in Atlanta, GA. That guitar played effortlessly! Sounded absolutely stunning through the Marshall stack I used at the time. Echoplex (tubes), and a Maestro fuzztone pedal. Complete heaven!

(The picture is not my guitar but exactly what she looked like. Case and all.))
$_57dd - Copy (2).jpg
but is exactly what she looked like)

NotScott

Reaction score
I have had a lot of LPs and played a lot more. But now that I have refretted this with stainless steel jumbos, this is my all-time favorite LP. The combination of wraptail and buckers is something Gibson should have done much more of.

Peter M

Reaction score
Any LP Classic I've ever owned could easily be my favorite... hard to pick just one. These are my 2 latest Classics and my "favorite" is whichever one I'm playing ATM :)
My Classics.jpg

Latest Threads