Favorite Features of a Les Paul

acstorfer

Reaction score
If it wasn't for the dark, bone crushing sound, I'd be happy staying with my old 80's BC Rich guitars. Nothing sounds like a Les Paul and that's all that really matters in the end.

Howard2k

Reaction score
Overall package for me. Beautiful yet somewhat understated guitar, my idols used them, sounds great, affordable, easy to maintain (no FR, for example), comfortable feel and neck.

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
I dunno. Ask this guy:

Photoshop masterpieces aside, I'm not sure what I like best. I played Strat style for most of my life, then recently acquired my two Vintages. the adjustment period was shorter than I origonally feared. Getting used to a body w/o the arm and belly cut was probably the hardest thing about it, but it worked out eventually.

I think the thing I like best is the shorter scale length. Don't get me wrong, I love the strat scale, always will. But the change-up to the shorter scale introduced a new dimension to my enjoyment of the instrument.

Where ya been all my life, Shorty? :laugh2:

I'm pretty sure that one ain't photoshop...

I love Strats too, used to play them solely, so I know what you're talking about. Except I didn't have to wait nearly as long as I'm guessing you did to discover Gibson, the Les Paul, etc. - and indeed, I found out in time that I'm more of a Gibson kinda guy, and my whole world shifted...

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that one ain't photoshop...

I love Strats too, used to play them solely, so I know what you're talking about. Except I didn't have to wait nearly as long as I'm guessing you did to discover Gibson, the Les Paul, etc. - and indeed, I found out in time that I'm more of a Gibson kinda guy, and my whole world shifted...

You may be right TT, but I have an old interview with SRV in my head where I remember him saying he would never use 'buckers, so I just assumed this was 'shopped. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong..

My first "real" electric was an El Degas bolt-on LP, tobacco burst (the old AGS pos don't count). But for some reason over the years, I ended up gravitating towards strat-types, don't ask me why. So when I got the Vintages dropped in my lap, it was an epiphany of sorts (see what I did there?)

In any case, I'm just happy to be here. :)

mdubya

Reaction score
Depth and complexity of tone. Neck angle. Scale length. A nice rounded 50's neck. The greening gold top. :naughty:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9z7TdD9duc]Gibson Les Paul All Gold anno 1954 for sale - YouTube[/ame]

:dude::dude::dude:

parts

Reaction score
635_p8947.jpg

with of course..
2344_p41071.jpg

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
You may be right TT, but I have an old interview with SRV in my head where I remember him saying he would never use 'buckers, so I just assumed this was 'shopped. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong..

My first "real" electric was an El Degas bolt-on LP, tobacco burst (the old AGS pos don't count). But for some reason over the years, I ended up gravitating towards strat-types, don't ask me why. So when I got the Vintages dropped in my lap, it was an epiphany of sorts (see what I did there?)

In any case, I'm just happy to be here. :)

Well, if they were hot humbuckers, what's to stop him from at least trying them. Obviously they don't work for a lot of his material, but why not try on a couple songs here and there? Besides... he was pretty drugged out for a fair bit of his early years, making interviews... not always 100% dependable. And all I can see of the pic suggests it's authenticity... the shadow, the way the strap hangs and attached to the guitar. That would take a hell of a lot of artistic ability, photoshop effort, and knowledge of guitars to create, and for what purpose? Plus, there's a few others... not many, but here and there, there are three or four other pics of him with an LP if you poke around the internet... as docc just made clear.

Les Pauls are awesome too! Glad you could be here.

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
That's a keeper. Thanks docc.

You wouldn't know any info on that shot, would you? Where/when, that sort of thing?

I find it terribly interesting.

gui524

Reaction score
nothing feels like hitting an A chord with a LP through a cranked amp

rikko

Reaction score
I've come to realize that there is something about the arch top...
and the peg-head angle...

It sort of resembles the violin, which of course is a classic that will never go out of style.

It's curves are graceful and feminine, and the cut away is like a shark fin.
All of this=SEXY.

And then there is THE TONE!!!:dude::dude::dude::dude::dude::dude:

Kezia

Reaction score
I own two, an Epiphone Elite Standard and a Gibson LP Junior. Out of the two I find myself playing the Junior the most. For only having a single pickup, it's incredibly versatile. The tones I can get out of this through my Hot Rod Deville or the AC15 at work is incredible. The slimtaper neck profile is very comfortable, can play it with ease. The weight is a bit lighter than my LP Standard. I normally really like heavy guitars (my #1 right now is a Peavey T60, heavy mfer) but the weight of the LP Jr feels just right. Great for tossing around since I move/jump a lot when I play. A few people (including my mother) hate the color, I did too a bit at first and wanted a tobacco sunburst, but this guitar sticks out onstage and in my arsenal. The action that came when I bought it was perfect, a lot of the time I like to fold my thumb over the E, A, and D strings and hammer out powerful single notes on the G or B string and I can do that just fine on this no problem

jAxDFnx.jpg

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
The outline; sculpted top (with the outline); grain of top; flames; colour; size; sound; volume; tone; different sounds from different amps; different sounds from different setups; weight; width of the neck; length of the neck; speed of the neck/fretboard; woods (particularly if they're endangered and the US Govt doesn't like 'em); smoothness of fretboard; shape of headstock; inlays; logo; locations of hardware; the way it feels when you hold one up using different part of the body; owning it; wearing it; playing it; listening to it; rubbing it down with a damp cloth during those 'special' moments.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Removable pickguard or nibs, not sure...

(the endless sustain was already mentioned (ssssh, can you hear it?))

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
What's been said?

Total control over the pickups, the weight (I like a heavy balanced guitar), fixed bridge.

Comfortable to play standing or sitting, LPs feedback really well, the neck's not like a baseball bat, excellent clean sound, oh, and uhh, oh yeah...

Nigel Tufnel: The sustain, listen to it.
Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.
Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing.

Andys_dead

Reaction score
OOOH, one of the Prophecy LPs... pretty... not my thing, but still, pretty...

haha i know what you mean....thats what i thought the first time i saw it, but it has the string tension like a good strat, and the coil tapping, with the small neck witch i love :thumb:

Latest Threads