Favorite Distortion?

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For hard clipping pedals, my two favorites are the DS-1, the standard, and the Suhr Riot.

The JHS PG14 is really cool. Runs in the both the worlds of soft clipping and hard clipping, or rides the fence using both. Plus, has controls for shaping the mids within the circuit.

frater106

Reaction score
FWIW, I bought a REVV G3 blue a few months back but I have never bonded with it. The online reviews all sounded fantastic but I have not had the same results.
That's a bummer. I've actually been wanting one-but that price tag, though!!

frater106

Reaction score
Seems like there are two types of distortion/ overdrive pedals:
1) trying to emulate an amp e.g. Marshall sound, Tweed sound, Dumble, etc.
2) a distinctive “pedal” sound e.g. TS9, Rat, Klon

I love having both, so I use everything:
- Marshall Blues Breaker I
- Zen Drive Red
- Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin
- EWS Fuzzy Drive
- Mooer Black Secret

But there’s something really great about being able to get natural overdrive / distortion from my Swart STR Tweed, Fender 65 DRRI, and Fender Tweed Champ and Champ II.
I actually grew up playing lap steel on a Champ II! I'm actually buying a Twin II on Nov. 1st, too.

E.T.

Reaction score
Mesa V-1 bottle rocket if it has to be a pedal

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suhr Riot, lovepedal vintage modern.

NJDevil

Reaction score
For years I mostly played clean except gigging with the TS9 for overdrive in gigs into my 60W Tech 21. Whenever I needed true distortion. the Tech 21 really did the trick.

Now I have a Roland Blues Cube Artist. There is gain but only breaks up the clean but switching back and forth with amps is not what I want to do for an upcoming recording project.

Just bought a RAT and love it. I don't drive it to fuzz territory but the overdrive is tight. Very versatile and will be a "go to" for many "hot" solos like both in Comfortably numb.

For heavy break up but not distortion, I'm using the J. Rockett Blue Note........chain it with the Vertex SSS at the gain dialed in and I get serious overdrive.

Currently looking at: OCD, Wampler options (Pinnacle, Hot Wired V2, Paisley), Bogner (La Grange, Ecstasy), Jackson Audio Golden Boy, Keeley D&M, and a few others.

Any like or have used either the Strymon Sunset or Compadre?

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For hard clipping pedals, my two favorites are the DS-1, the standard, and the Suhr Riot.

The JHS PG14 is really cool. Runs in the both the worlds of soft clipping and hard clipping, or rides the fence using both. Plus, has controls for shaping the mids within the circuit.
Since this post I made a month ago, I've gotten a T-Rex Mud-Honey II. It's freakin' awesome.

Just for grins, I'm ordering an MXR Super Badass Distortion. It has a 3 band EQ in it. Inexpensive and appears quite flexible. We'll see.

rich85

Reaction score
For me the Rat into a Clean British style amp is just perfect. Especially gigging where you might not be able to turn your valve amp up to the volume where it really sounds good, just use a Rat pedal. Problem solved. So easy to dial in the same tone at any volume. Even a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, just keep the mids turned up. Perfect.

Latest Threads