Favorite Distortion?

Deftone

Reaction score
I've been interested in those. What don't you like about them?

Just don't like the tone. Not organic enough. Never could dial in anything I really liked.

Might be I am just too used to the MM (which to my ears sounds a lot like the RAT)

That said, I have a few more amps I should try it with. I also think the Revv G4 might be more to my taste.

I'll add another I never got along with:

AMT Legend Amps R1.

Sounded amazing in the demo vid, I could not get those tones. I'll have to bust it out and try it again sometime.

Cory

Reaction score
Kinda depends on what you’re using it for, - my primary drive tone comes from my Bogner 20th Shiva, but I found that the Inventions 1981 DRV pedal adds just the right amount of juice to push the amp to exactly how I want it to sound - I actually have the drive knob at the lowest set point (which still gives a slight amount of dirt) - all of the magic is in the “cut” knob - the slightest turn can drastically alter the tone - a ton of flexibility for only having 3 knobs - highly recommended (again, just depends on your particular application).
1A0DE26C-3D4D-4F05-BDB4-62F0390B2076.jpeg

Hamtone

Reaction score
Theres a lot of well it depends.

Into my hiwatts I love the BK Butler tube driver, I love the Pete cornish G2. Wampler hotwired is great too.

If we're talking rats, which really is more of a fuzz/sorta muffs and rats are great. The modded rats that have the Q adjustment are quite versatile

Matopotato

Reaction score
Any love for the MXR Super Badass Distortion?
To me it was "too much", so I returned it. I could not dial in much beyond on/off. That said I don't think it is a bad pedal. It gets lots of love, but it was not for me or my setup.

Favorite distortion:
Bogner Red Mini: versatile, canndial in lots and yet never muddles on me. Clear and full of it.
Closely followed by JAM pedals Rattler. Darker, more ominous yet versatile.

Favorite OD:
Thorpy FX Peacekeeper. It can surely hold its own and with pre-drive mid EQ and post bass&treble it is also versatile. Not crazy high gain.
Then it stacks wonderfully. Last in the chain it adds to almost anything I put in front.
Runner up is a DIY kit, Rullywow make Queen of Bone, a mimic of KoT but with shorter waitlist. Diodes from pedalhacker.com and the rest a mix but tried to keep high quality. Can't compare with original, but it is like Peacekeeper: an almost always on before the amp.
Hope this helps

Matopotato

Reaction score
I'm pretty fond of my Black Russian Big Muff.
;-)
I A/B:d them for hours, and there was not much to separate them imho. Wanted to love the green russian more, but every loop I threw at them and every tone knob variant I tried, the Ram's Head just edged it a noticeable bit. But then the RH had a wider range than the green, even on the bass side (surprisingly) and when GR maxed sustain, RH still had more of that on tap.
At least that is how it sounded to me.
But I probably wouldn't swap either out once used to them.

Embee

Reaction score
For overdrive, I love my trusty old Tube Works Blue Tube.

For distortion, I love my trusty DOD Grunge.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I play thru a fuchs ODSII this amp to me provides the best tone and drive Ive ever owned because you can control
the drive circuits you can dial in a lot of different tones I get a real nice robbenfordish tone I bought a pedal about five years ago called peacock it was supposed to sound like the allmand bros needless to say it did'nt and it in the pile
of shit that dont do what was advertised.

zdog

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Live, for me it's a tie between an OCD and a TS-9. For recording / around the house it's a tie between a 5 knob BK Butler Tube Overdrive and an OCD into an ADA MP1.

goodvibes

Reaction score
I'll always have a soft spot for my trusty orange Boss DS-1
If you are handy with soldering electronics you could always do the Robert Keeley mods to your DS-1, really turns a regular DS-1 into a boutique distortion pedal! I was blown away by the improvement!! Tons of info online for the DS-1 mods.

frater106

Reaction score
8 don't actually have my DS-1 handy-It's loaned to my nephew a couple years ago. Lol. I've been thinking of picking up a MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion to replace it-that's like MXR's version of a hot-rodded DS-1.

Matopotato

Reaction score
I've generally find the rat a bit cold and sterile in the past, but I keep hearing good things about it lately. Thinking about picking one up again. The ones I was around before was a girlfriend's.
Then you'd might like the Rattler. It has more warmth, in my humble...

BKS

Reaction score
Marshall guv'nor, shredmaster.
Mxr distortion +
Full drive 2 mosfet

Just can't make up my mind so just use amp... :laugh2:

Latest Threads