Favorite Acoustic

dissaffected

Reaction score
I have been getting more into flat picking acoustic lately. As a result I am thinking of buying a new acoustic. What are some models/ brands I should look at. It has been a long time since I last looked. I always liked Larrivee as a good guitar at a great price. Any other ideas? It would primarily be a strummer/flat picker so prob a dread? I tried a Guild D40 traditional the other day. Boomy as all get out with bass to hang your hat on. Kinda interesting. Many will say that you cannot go wrong with a Martin and there is some truth in that.l I currently play an old Breedlove Premier dread that I will prob sell. But what else is out there.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Many will say that you cannot go wrong with a Martin.
I have to agree with that. The 12 string is from '74, and the D-35 is even older.

martins.jpg

I also agree with playing the Yamahas, especially old red labels if you can find one. Seriously though, find a music store that carries an assortment, and play them. See which one speaks to you. Make a loud noise, and see which ones ring.

Gary

Reaction score
I’ve been quite impressed with Yamaha and their scalloped bracing models. So much so that I sold my Taylor’s, Guild and (GASP!) Martin.

FG830 dred, AC1M and an AC3M. I gig these regularly and I’m saving up to add a FS850 mahogany.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson J-45.
IMO, there's nothing more iconic than a J-45 or D-28/18 for flatpicking. The Martin has that recognizable bluegrass sound, but the J-45 (and it's variants J-29, J-35 & G-45, etc.) cut through the mix like nothing else. For fingerstyle, mellower cedar-topped Irish guitars from Lowden, Avalon, and McIlroy are popular. Nut width and bridge spacing are key to some people's playing style so worth paying attention to.

I can't do anything but strum an acoustic with less than 1-3/4" nut width as I have fat fingers that unintentionally mute adjacent strings when flatpicking or fingerstyle. A narrow bridge spacing really throws me off too, my right hand justs expects some room between strings.

BTW, I have 2 Larrivees, A Gibson J-29, a Martin hog, an Avalon cedar, and PRS acoustic among others. Soundwise, my favorite guitar is the Avalon, but the Larrivee is my gigging guitar, it does everything well. The Martin is my around the house guitar, and the J-29 is for when I want to play loud enough to be heard in a big group. That thing is a cannon. Here is Al Petteway playing my Avalon before I bought it off the first owner over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

Molly Tuttle on a D-18:

PeteK

Reaction score
I played a Gibson Hummingbird that was the most playable guitar I've ever touched. It just had the perfect feel for me. I didn't quite care for the look of it though so I went with a Taylor 814. Looks, sounds and feels great

Nard

Reaction score
The gas gets to close explosion level any time I’m near one of these or the six string version.
Been lusting after this beauty for a few years now but just can’t afford it yet.

91A1DFBF-9969-45BF-AD45-71BDF0C5979E.jpeg
F7A9B363-D9A6-4DCD-B987-D17EAAC4E3A8.jpeg

dissaffected

Reaction score
IMO, there's nothing more iconic than a J-45 or D-28/18 for flatpicking. The Martin has that recognizable bluegrass sound, but the J-45 (and it's variants J-29, J-35 & G-45, etc.) cut through the mix like nothing else. For fingerstyle, mellower cedar-topped Irish guitars from Lowden, Avalon, and McIlroy are popular. Nut width and bridge spacing are key to some people's playing style so worth paying attention to.

I can't do anything but strum an acoustic with less than 1-3/4" nut width as I have fat fingers that unintentionally mute adjacent strings when flatpicking or fingerstyle. A narrow bridge spacing really throws me off too, my right hand justs expects some room between strings.

BTW, I have 2 Larrivees, A Gibson J-29, a Martin hog, an Avalon cedar, and PRS acoustic among others. Soundwise, my favorite guitar is the Avalon, but the Larrivee is my gigging guitar, it does everything well. The Martin is my around the house guitar, and the J-29 is for when I want to play loud enough to be heard in a big group. That thing is a cannon. Here is Al Petteway playing my Avalon before I bought it off the first owner over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

Molly Tuttle on a D-18:

ya....my bud has a 60 series slope shoulder Larrivee which sounds great.