Faux-'52, looking for a luthier

cherrick

Reaction score
How would one go about finding a new, young, up-and-coming luthier looking for a project to make his/her bones on a Les Paul (style) build? Can you recommend anyone? I'm looking for a 1952 gold-top Les Paul, bound fretboard, as historically accurate as possible but with the modern neck angle. Talking trapeze tail piece and Mojoaxe bridge. 2 boutique historically accurate P90s and single-ring, no-line kluson keystone knob tuners.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
How would one go about finding a new, young, up-and-coming luthier looking for a project to make his/her bones on a Les Paul (style) build? Can you recommend anyone? I'm looking for a 1952 gold-top Les Paul, bound fretboard, as historically accurate as possible but with the modern neck angle. Talking trapeze tail piece and Mojoaxe bridge. 2 boutique historically accurate P90s and single-ring, no-line kluson keystone knob tuners.
Sounds like a cool project. Why a "new, young, up-and-coming luthier"? This screams "I do not want to spend much money". :naughty: What is the "modern neck angle"?

Mojoaxe is great stuff. You cannot go wrong with that stuff. I use it on my non vintage stuff as well.

Cheers Peter.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see those.

Been kicking around the same idea but with a '54-'56 Custom BB.

cherrick

Reaction score
Smack daddy, yes, indeed spot on with the "I don't want to spend a lot of money". I'd like to supply a large portion of the parts and come in right around $1K +/- a bit, case not included.

Gibson changed the neck angle on the Les Paul in late '53 / '54. Many, many owners of '52 Lesters took them to guys like Dan Shinn at Lays Guitars in Akron Ohio and had the neck reset to the "new modern angle". If I had an R2 or a real original vintage '52 I would do the same.

My first Les Paul was a real '52. Shoot me for ever selling it. I got my Faux-'57 in this way.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
Smack daddy, yes, indeed spot on with the "I don't want to spend a lot of money". I'd like to supply a large portion of the parts and come in right around $1K +/- a bit, case not included.

Gibson changed the neck angle on the Les Paul in late '53 / '54. Many, many owners of '52 Lesters took them to guys like Dan Shinn at Lays Guitars in Akron Ohio and had the neck reset to the "new modern angle". If I had an R2 or a real original vintage '52 I would do the same.

My first Les Paul was a real '52. Shoot me for ever selling it. I got my Faux-'57 in this way.
Good luck with the quest. Where are you located? Keep us posted if / when you find someone to build this for you. If they are from here make sure they start a build thread.

Cheers Peter.

cherrick

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool project. Why a "new, young, up-and-coming luthier"? This screams "I do not want to spend much money". :naughty: What is the "modern neck angle"?

Mojoaxe is great stuff. You cannot go wrong with that stuff. I use it on my non vintage stuff as well.

Cheers Peter.
Man, I wish I could see the pics on your LP Jr build. Can they be refreshed?

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, I wish I could see the pics on your LP Jr build. Can they be refreshed?
I have been updating pics best as I can in my build threads lately. I'll take a look and see if I can replace the links. That LP JR build was my second build based on the '54 JR plans Tom Bartlett sells on his site. I developed the drawings with Tom based on his '54 JR.

I'm building a few 61 SGs now, a 59 LP with a fat neck, a Gibson Moderne, and possibly an early 50's LP JR SC. I just need to quit my job and do this full time and I should be finished those before this pandemic is over! ;-)

Cheers Peter.

ARandall

Reaction score
Wow, you are looking for quite the unicorn there.
Maybe if you include in the 'parts' (which you supply) things like binding, inlay, all finishing etc then you might just have a chance of about 1K......if the person is just starting out having been retrenched due to the pandemic and its their first building job.

Even precision guitars gets you close to $800 for the raw wood version of the 59 Carved top with no bridge holes drilled, and the additional cost of accurate parts which form part of the chassis are a quite significant hike over that.

smk506

Reaction score
Wow, you are looking for quite the unicorn there

Even precision guitars gets you close to $800 for the raw wood version of the 59 Carved top with no bridge holes drilled, and the additional cost of
accurate parts which form part of the chassis are a quite significant hike over that.
My thoughts exactly. I’m in for about a $1100 on my last precision kit, maybe a bit more. That doesn’t include the finishing supplies, and I went the cheap route for that and went reranch spray cans. Between the paint and materials I’m sure I spent an easy $100+.

@cherrick, I think the project sounds like a good one, but I’d try to use the time searching for a builder to sock away some more cash, the mojoaxe bridge and a boutique p90 set alone are going to account for 1/3 to 1/2 of the budget you’re at now.

Would a kit build be an option for you? The more you can do your self, the less you have to pay someone to do.

I’m working with a local builder to make a kit for me, a double cut special that’s going to run me just north of $400 for the wood work and frets. I’ll probably have about a grand into it by the time it’s done. That’s the best I’ve found so far, considering it takes shipping out of the equation.

ARandall

Reaction score
The US based guys can correct me if my estimates are wrong, but for anything even remotely close to being built well, an unpainted 'husk' with vintage accuracy, you'd probably be up for $2500 I'd guess. Thats for a fairly unknown person. Then add in finishing and parts.
It would be interesting to get some of the better known builders to chime in on what they would charge.....if thats something they'd divulge in the forum. Just to get a degree of relativity into the conversation.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
They're not cheap to build or put together so get realistic and look for something ready made imo then start saving up and spend good money on a great guitar, people need to realise we can't don't and won't compete on prices with mass made stuff

My flat top juniors are £2.5k my carved top start at £3.5k I do throw in a hiscox hard case

I've got one LP build coming up and the wood bill alone is £600, but it is going to be very nice and not a replica

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
The US based guys can correct me if my estimates are wrong, but for anything even remotely close to being built well, an unpainted 'husk' with vintage accuracy, you'd probably be up for $2500 I'd guess. Thats for a fairly unknown person. Then add in finishing and parts.
It would be interesting to get some of the better known builders to chime in on what they would charge.....if thats something they'd divulge in the forum. Just to get a degree of relativity into the conversation.

I can only speak for myself here. My price would be about $1250 for what @ARandall quoted. Just a husk with vintage accuracy and vintage build specs / materials, glue, cellulose nitrate inlays etc etc. Add another $500 - $750 for a vintage finish, and another $200 for a setup. Factor in a case $100 and shipping $100 and you are probably looking at about $2000 - $2250 to your door. That is without components. I only do a couple of guitars a year and really do not charge much for my time. I'd actually hate to figure in my time as I'd probably be under $5 /hr. I do this as a hobby and only work for people who contact me here, pretty much.

Cheers Peter.

Caretaker

Reaction score
2 things.
Up and coming new guy may take on the project but may also not get it right(being inexperienced).

An experienced luthier does this for a living and his time is worth more than that and that must be respected.
You get what you pay for.
IMO your are looking closer to $3K but good luck hunting.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
A full-carve Les Paul, with binding and all the trimmin's.. That's not a beginner build.

There's much more to making that guitar than there is on a flat-top Jr.

$1K and parts thrown in? "most of" the parts?

Nope.

I would read through one or two of several detailed build threads to gain some perspective of what's involved in the process.

Latest Threads