Fatter, overwound Seth?

Ayton

Reaction score
Did anyone ever install a neck pickup and go, "that sounds like a Seth Lover, but bigger"? If so, please tell me what it was. :D

I'm able to bond with any number of bridge pickups — currently enjoying a cranky old 80s Pearly Gates — but can't quite get the neck sound I want. That Seth sweetness, honk and chime, with more output or balls.

Any leads?

I thought I'd be fly and use a bridge model Seth in the neck, but it wasn't right at all, kinda soft-edged and midrangey. Closest was a Burstbucker 2, which sounds huge in the neck, like I want, but also raw and unrefined; none of that delicious Seth sweetness. Would an A2 in a 59 do it? Or is that just a Seth! :dunno:

Ayton

Reaction score
That's a pretty interesting lead, Ed! (And I never did thank you for your Franky pup advice -- cheers.)

Have wanted to try a 78 for years as a superstrat bridge. Bit apprehensive about a 9k neck pickup, but if it's too much in the LP neck I can finally see how it fares in the bridge of the Charvel. Food for thought.

LtKojak

Reaction score
That's a pretty interesting lead, Ed! (And I never did thank you for your Franky pup advice -- cheers.)

Have wanted to try a 78 for years as a superstrat bridge. Bit apprehensive about a 9k neck pickup, but if it's too much in the LP neck I can finally see how it fares in the bridge of the Charvel. Food for thought.

There's a neck version of the '78, available through the Custom Shop, so you can have a calibrated '78 set, if you so wish.

HTH,

Ed hunter

Reaction score
There's a neck version of the '78, available through the Custom Shop, so you can have a calibrated '78 set, if you so wish.

HTH,
^^^
Thanks for mentioning this, i forgot the CS offered a neck version.
in his situation the neck model would be even better to match up with his existing bridge.

Ed hunter

Reaction score

No problem, IMHO if you are going to go custom shop MJ will wind you a custom seth for more output and thickness to the tone,
I mentioned the 78 only cause it is a existing model and is available used on the classifieds and ebay. so it is not just a Custom shop model like a hotter seth would be.
The real end all is getting MJ to wind you a hotter seth.

Ayton

Reaction score
Thanks, lads.

As I'm cheap, I was hoping to stay away from custom orders. I know they will wind you anything. The idea of a one-off Seth Ayton does appeal... though who knows how different an overwound Seth neck model would be from the stock Seth bridge model? Yes, that's the sound of me chasing my tail.

I've been so well served by Duncans that I have this belief there's always one out there for the job, maybe with a mag swap, but maybe I should have a look at the indies, like Zhangs.

TheJrAce

Reaction score
Maybe try an a4 or 8? I've always loved a4s.

LtKojak

Reaction score
"that sounds like a Seth Lover, but bigger"? If so, please tell me what it was.

A Seth Lover bridge with an A8 magnet.

It makes a very nice matched set with a Seth Lover neck with an A4 mag.

HTH,

Bluefox

Reaction score
Seth Lovers are very sensitive to adjustment. Try it again and adjust the polepieces a bit out of the cover with the pickup slightly down to bring out the high end. When the height seem right for a balanced tone, start with the polepieces all at the same height, then bring down a quarter turn or less the one under the B sting and raise slightly the ones under the G and D strings. Just experimenting with adjustment you can have lots of different tones. In the end an A3 magnet could be another option.
I would put a neck Antiquity tough, it's in a range halfway between a Seth neck and a Seth bridge, so a bit fatter than the Seth neck, but with a more complex tone.

Latest Threads