Fat Neck Norlin LP?

your idol

Reaction score
So Im on the hunt now. Im looking for a Norlin LP. I want Shaws and taller frets. I know that pretty much takes the Volute I love so much out of the equation as Ive never played an 81 that didnt have a slim ass neck or low frets. So that leaves me 82 and up.

Can someone tell me if there was a starting point where you could actually get a more 50s profile neck and taller frets and Shaws?

*also before anyone points out I can just buy a modern LP and throw Shaws in it I firmly realize this is a viable option but I just dont wanna.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Not sure about the fat neck.......but I wouldn't make 'tall frets' any sort of dealbreaker. Any 80's guitar will most likely be due a re-fret either upon purchase or be in the near vicinity of one......in which case the very best ideal of your fretwire is in the frame.

My 75 Custom has a .78, and my 1980 Deluxe has a medium C......so .82 or so. I agree that might not be what you are after so later might have to do. But I'm not sure even then that 50's is where it will end up. I have an 85 SG which is still very thin (more like just under .80)....if indeed an SG in any indication of what LP neck would have been.

your idol

Reaction score
Not sure about the fat neck.......but I wouldn't make 'tall frets' any sort of dealbreaker. Any 80's guitar will most likely be due a re-fret either upon purchase or be in the near vicinity of one......in which case the very best ideal of your fretwire is in the frame.

My 75 Custom has a .78, and my 1980 Deluxe has a medium C......so .82 or so. I agree that might not be what you are after so later might have to do. But I'm not sure even then that 50's is where it will end up. I have an 85 SG which is still very thin (more like just under .80)....if indeed an SG in any indication of what LP neck would have been.
My 80 Custom was on the thin side of comfy for me. Ive never ran across an 80s Standard that wasnt thin. My 81 Standard is great but too thin and its frets are still good and still much taller than my 80Customs were but still too low for my tastes. But i like the heavier weight, i like how the norlin nitro feela, how it looks and ages. I like the sassy flashy inlays, i like the electronics be it T Tops or Shaws. I just cant dig the neck. My 81 Standard feels like a butter knife. Ive owned many 80s Gibsons (mostly SGs) and they always leave me because I cant jive with the neck...i had an 88 SG 90 double that was perfect other than the fact it had a neck I could shave with. It seems as the 80s progressed Gibson just kept on shaving and shaving those necks down to nothing. I cant help but think they still had an option for the Old Timers at that time but I could be wrong in my assumption. I look all the time and it feels like im unicorn hunting

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah......well good luck in your quest!!

Maybe @HardCore Troubadour and @mudface can chime in with some of their experiences with this era......they are far more extensive than mine, and might give you a pointer to what models or years might have a greater chance of finding what you like.

MSB

Reaction score
my '87 has a chunkier neck than any other i've played from the era, its not fat, but its a '60s that put on the freshman 15. It measures bigger than it feels though.

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The earlier in the Norlin period, say 1968 thru 1972 finding chubby necks is way easier than the later period. Around 1975 thru early ‘80s a bit more difficult. Mostly Deluxes and Standards have the more variation of neck sizes.... Customs got slim and stayed that way till late ‘80s.... but there have been a fat neck here and there thru all models and years.

Some of the early pre-historic models of 1979 to 1983 like Leo’s Music reissues and Guitar Trader reissues had beefier necks and even some (very few) Heritage 80 models ... these can be a bit pricey for Norlin era models.

The Les Paul Pro with P90 pups can have chubby necks as well as The Paul.... I had one of those in 1979 that had a fat neck and I searched in vain till I found a Leo’s reissue that could match it.

There out there.... easier to find earlier than later.

Last edited:

your idol

Reaction score
my '87 has a chunkier neck than any other i've played from the era, its not fat, but its a '60s that put on the freshman 15. It measures bigger than it feels though.
Thats a perfect description. Thats exactly what my 80 Custom was like. I couldnt really call it fat like a 50s but a chubby 60s.

Reactions: MSB

your idol

Reaction score
The earlier in the Norlin period, say 1968 thru 1972 finding chubby necks is way easier than the later period. Around 1975 thru early ‘80s a bit more difficult. Mostly Deluxes and Standards have the more variation of neck sizes.... Customs got slim and stayed that way till late ‘80s.... but there have been a fat neck here and there thru all models and years.

Some of the early pre-historic models of 1979 to 1983 like Leo’s Music reissues and Guitar Trader reissues had beefier necks and even some (very few) Heritage 80 models ... these can be a bit pricey for Norlin era models.

The Les Paul Pro with P90 pups can have chubby necks as well as The Paul.... I had one of those in 1979 that had a fat neck and I searched in vain till I found a Leo’s reissue that could match it.

There out there.... easier to find earlier than later.
Yeah this is pretty much spot on what I assumed. I figured it was going to boil down to throwback models of older considerably more expensive ones. I didnt consider the Les Paul Pro however. Thanks. These are the kind of answers you hope for when you put a question like this out in the universe

kakerlak

Reaction score
I feel like what you can start to find more often in in the early '80s (starting '82-ish) are necks that have more taper to them. Stuff that might measure out something like .830-.950 from first to twelfth. I find those pretty comfortable. While chunky at the nut is fun/feels good, it's when the frets start to get closer together in the middle of the neck that ones that stay skinny (or narrow) start to feel cramped to me.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I feel like what you can start to find more often in in the early '80s (starting '82-ish) are necks that have more taper to them. Stuff that might measure out something like .830-.950 from first to twelfth. I find those pretty comfortable. While chunky at the nut is fun/feels good, it's when the frets start to get closer together in the middle of the neck that ones that stay skinny (or narrow) start to feel cramped to me.
I had to go hunt down my old measurements, but my wife's '82 SG is .822-.975 (1st-12th) and I know, just anecdotally that I've had my hands on some LPs of the era that had "similar" necks, though it's been a while. It's that extra thickness up the neck that seems to really help. Especially on Gibson-scale guitars, it just kind of feels like your fingers are kind of jumbled up into each other with those necks that stay shallow the whole way up. And I don't have especially fat/long fingers, either.

your idol

Reaction score
I had to go hunt down my old measurements, but my wife's '82 SG is .822-.975 (1st-12th) and I know, just anecdotally that I've had my hands on some LPs of the era that had "similar" necks, though it's been a while. It's that extra thickness up the neck that seems to really help. Especially on Gibson-scale guitars, it just kind of feels like your fingers are kind of jumbled up into each other with those necks that stay shallow the whole way up. And I don't have especially fat/long fingers, either.
So to be fair here the neck on my standard only seems SUPER thin on the first 3, then tapers to a more traditional 60s around 4/5 on down to about 11 where it has another pretty dramatic taper to a diet 50s profile. Its strange. Its like it was trying to appeal to everyone and its hard to describe. Im thinking none of it would be terrible with a fretjob. I just refretted another norlin and it made a night and day difference in its playability. I just hat to go through it a second time and alter a guitar that ,odss are knowing me, i wont be keeping.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '50s Tribute GT isn't a Norlin, but it does have mini humbuckers and a fat neck :D

Latest Threads