Fastest neck on a single cut: Schecter Solo Apocalypse vs ESP LTD EC-1000?

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Anyone else love their Gibson or Epi, but also love Ibanez Wizard necks? Do any single cuts get close in terms of flat radius, string spacing, and feel?

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I like ‘em all pretty much, depending on my mood and how stiff my fingers are. Not a huge fan of “Baseball Bat” necks though.

These Gibson’s I’ve played aren’t exactly Wizard like, but do play fast more comfortably.

Epi LP Custom- D shape slim taper, 12” radius

Gibson LP TradProV- Compound radius 12-16, asymmetrical neck

Dean V neck is comfy and fast, available on the Cadillac single cut I believe.

Schecter PT or Hellraiser Hybrid PT is something I’ve wanted to check out- I played the HH at a store and it was well suited for just about anything- compound radius, thin satin neck.

Jay4321

Reaction score
I'm same as above.

The ESP EC-1000 I have with Evertune is fantastic all around but the neck is perfect, though a gloss finish. But the shape couldn't be much better. The big frets are a nice plus.

The Schecter Solo II (not the Apocalypse) felt top tier also, and notably the satin finish feel on it was great. I didn't keep it long enough to play it in but out of the box the texture on the back is as good as any.

Neither are even remoytely like my (very modified) Ibanez RG. A very good guitar in its own right and I can play it as easily as any other guitar I have but handles differently.

Ola makes a thin neck single cut 14" radius. I haven't touched one but another Solar model was pushing Wizard neck territory would check into it. Big frets too

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Neither are even remoytely like my (very modified) Ibanez RG. A very good guitar in its own right and I can play it as easily as any other guitar I have but handles differently.
What mods do you have? I learned to play on an RGA42fm I bought used, I swapped out the stock Quantums for JB/Jazz pair, it sounds and plays great for a $400 guitar.

Jay4321

Reaction score
Air Norton, Blue Velvet, Tone Zone. All import electronics gone/replaced. Nothing revolutionary but that setup pretty much nails all the super strat/Ibanezzy thing as I know it and you only ever need it in one guitar. I like the JB a lot too but find a somewhat wider variety of results from guitar to gutiar and, have jazz JB in a strat style and an LP at the moment. It's a classic for very good reason though I've run into issues when in brighter gutiars

I remember the stock IbANEZ ones V-somethings. did one gritty thing well in the bridge but didn't like much else about them.

I use other pickups for other things but for meat and potatoes main guitar work, one of these two is almost certain to get it done for me. Simple but at some point trying dozens of different models of this and that became more a problem than a solution

I learned to play on a CMI piece of trash that had two single coils no switch you controlled with two volume knobs

Last edited:

soliloquy

Reaction score
in my opinion, the closest singlecut neck carve to an ibanez wizard is the Agile Slim Neck profile guitars. its the thinnest neck i've found on any singlecut guitars, and its super comfy too. Though it isn't flat radius, but the neck isn't too far from a Wizard I neck.

the EC1000 series has a decent heft to the neck (still on the thin side though)

Jay4321

Reaction score
The "thin U" is the ESP contour I'm referring to. Between that and the nut width it couldn't feel any more perfect to me apart from talking the gloss off the back. It's not wizard thin or anything like that, it's closer to a Gibson 60s slim than an Ibanez.

Gfunk_Minor

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three Heartfield guitars from back in the early 90's.
They were my main stage guitars back then. They have very fast necks with a 17 inch radius.
I loved / love those guitars for what they are, they just don't sound too good doing what I like to play today.
The Red, White & Black ones are all Heartfield Talons.

wall-1.jpg

dspelman

Reaction score
Anyone else love their Gibson or Epi, but also love Ibanez Wizard necks? Do any single cuts get close in terms of flat radius, string spacing, and feel?
Agile AL-3200MCC. Compound radius on the stock models, and it could be ordered with a 1 3/4" nut width and one of a couple of neck profiles. One of those profiles included a 17mm depth at the first fret, tapering to 20mm at the 12th fret. That's pretty close to Wizarding Wonderfulness. The guitar is neck-through construction with a sculpted neck heel and a tummy cut. Really fast to work with. I also have an Agile that came with a 16" radius fretboard, jumbo frets, a wide/thin neck profile and that 1 3/4" nut width.

smk506

Reaction score
I would guess that the U shape on fgn guitars would be similar if possibly a bit larger than the U shape on mij ESPs since I believe they’re also made in the fujigen factory.

Might be worth looking into?

Latest Threads