fast food place that pays well!

zeronalo

Reaction score
Moo Cluck Moo - right on

This is what happens or can happen when you toss out the corporate greed and profit at any cost mentality. if they were in my neighborhood I'd drive past every other fast food place and spend my dollars here (as long as the food was good and if I still ate fast food)

Fast food joint pays workers $12 an hour, and lives to tell the tale

Over the past four months, fast food workers have walked off the job in a wave of protests and strikes across the country to demand a higher minimum wage and the freedom to unionize.
But in Dearborn Heights, Mich., a city just outside of Detroit, a new burger joint is trying to give workers a reason to clock-in to work each day.
Moo Cluck Moo is paying its workers a minimum wage of $12 per hour, over four dollars more than Michigan’s $7.40 per hour minimum wage. The reason? Simple: “It’s just the right thing to do,” said Allen Fisher, the restaurant’s managing partner, on MSNBC Tuesday.
“We manage our costs effectively, we use the best product that we can afford, and we pass that along to our employees,” said Fisher. “It’s not an easy job to do. We demand a lot out of our people, but we pay them for that.”
In addition to higher wages, said Fisher, Moo Cluck Moo has an exclusive training program that qualifies each of its employees for a better job and a higher pay rate. The restaurant also provides uniforms, meals, and (coming soon) medical benefits, he said.
Though Moo Cluck Moo, with its dozen employees and single location, is significantly smaller than the nation’s largest fast food chains, Fisher said fast food giants can afford to do better.
In 2011, America’s top 15 fast food chains brought in a combined $115 billion in sales, according to Business Insider.
“There’s got to be room for a few dollars here and there for the employees,” said Fisher. “I just don’t see that that’s impossible.”

Freddy

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
Sure,

One minute you pay people enough to live on, and the next:

when-provoking-a-war-of-aggression-we-will-hit-back-beginning-with-the-us.jpg

JTM45

Reaction score
Nice to see someone respect the value of an employee.

bertzie

Reaction score
They can afford to pay their employees more by using a more affordable web designer for their website.

Moo Cluck Moo

JMV

Reaction score
They START at $12/hour? Man, I can't believe entry level fast food jobs are worth that.

I hope they're getting top notch people in those positions as a result at least.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
In n Out Burger pays pretty well, too. I don't know how much, but I heard it starts around $4-5 over CA min wage, whatever it is now.
They do pretty well.

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
They START at $12/hour? Man, I can't believe entry level fast food jobs are worth that.

I hope they're getting top notch people in those positions as a result at least.

There's a local places called Dick's. Several of them around the Seattle area. They pay pretty well, from what I've heard. And they aducational benefits, as well.
From their website:

Health and Dental Benefits
Dick's offers 100% employer-paid health insurance and employer-subsidized dental insurance to every employee who works at least 24 hours per week (which amounts to over 75% of our employees.)

Educational Scholarships
College, vocational/self-improvement scholarships up to $22,000 over 4 years to employees working 20 hours per week for at least six months and continuing to work at least 20 hours per week while attending school. For more information about how to qualify and apply click here Dick's Scholarship Program.

Childcare Assistance
As an extension of our Scholarship Program, childcare assistance of between $3,000-$8,000 per year is available to employees working 20 hours per week for at least six months -- and continuing to work at least 20 hours per week while receiving childcare assistance. If an employee doesn't use any or all of their available scholarship funds for tuition, they can use it for childcare.

Paid Community Service
We feel it is important for our employees to get involved in our community. Our community service benefit encourages employees to help local charities. Dick's will pay volunteer-employee's their regular hourly wage for up to 4 hours per month of volunteer time.

Higher Wages
We pay employees at least $10.00 per hour to start (higher than the amount typically paid by Dick's competitors and well above the current minimum wage). Merit raises can increase your hourly wage to $10.50 per hour within three months. Shift Managers earn up to $4.00 per hour over-and-above their base wage. Store Managers earn considerably more.

Dick's is Committed to Our Employees
As far as we know, no other fast food restaurant in the Seattle area even comes close to Dick's in its commitment to employees. Dick's employees earn this recognition by working harder to give every Dick's customer the fastest service around, without ever compromising Dick's historic commitment to quality and the highest levels of health and sanitation. Dick's employees are probably the most loyal in the industry. Almost one-third of all Dick's employees have worked for the company for 2 years or more. Although Dick's commitment to its employees, like Dick's commitment to quality food, costs more in the short-run, it has been an excellent long-run strategy by giving both customers and employees extra value.

JTM45

Reaction score
There's a local places called Dick's. Several of them around the Seattle area. They pay pretty well, from what I've heard. And they aducational benefits, as well.
From their website:

Health and Dental Benefits
Dick's offers 100% employer-paid health insurance and employer-subsidized dental insurance to every employee who works at least 24 hours per week (which amounts to over 75% of our employees.)

Educational Scholarships
College, vocational/self-improvement scholarships up to $22,000 over 4 years to employees working 20 hours per week for at least six months and continuing to work at least 20 hours per week while attending school. For more information about how to qualify and apply click here Dick's Scholarship Program.

Childcare Assistance
As an extension of our Scholarship Program, childcare assistance of between $3,000-$8,000 per year is available to employees working 20 hours per week for at least six months -- and continuing to work at least 20 hours per week while receiving childcare assistance. If an employee doesn't use any or all of their available scholarship funds for tuition, they can use it for childcare.

Paid Community Service
We feel it is important for our employees to get involved in our community. Our community service benefit encourages employees to help local charities. Dick's will pay volunteer-employee's their regular hourly wage for up to 4 hours per month of volunteer time.

Higher Wages
We pay employees at least $10.00 per hour to start (higher than the amount typically paid by Dick's competitors and well above the current minimum wage). Merit raises can increase your hourly wage to $10.50 per hour within three months. Shift Managers earn up to $4.00 per hour over-and-above their base wage. Store Managers earn considerably more.

Dick's is Committed to Our Employees
As far as we know, no other fast food restaurant in the Seattle area even comes close to Dick's in its commitment to employees. Dick's employees earn this recognition by working harder to give every Dick's customer the fastest service around, without ever compromising Dick's historic commitment to quality and the highest levels of health and sanitation. Dick's employees are probably the most loyal in the industry. Almost one-third of all Dick's employees have worked for the company for 2 years or more. Although Dick's commitment to its employees, like Dick's commitment to quality food, costs more in the short-run, it has been an excellent long-run strategy by giving both customers and employees extra value.

Those are some great benefits, they even throw out a volunteer program. Good guys there!

monsterwalley

Reaction score
I always thought fast food employees were generally made up of high school kids that work there part time. Not counting management. Used to be anyway.
I didn't think it was ever meant to be a career supporting a family of 5.
Pay used to be commiserate with the type of job/skill level and education involved.

So, does that mean the lady taking orders at the microphone and punching food labeled button and looking at the register to see how much change to give back is supposed to make as much a laborer at a construction site?

Consarnit

Reaction score
If the company feels that way, then yes. You don't get to decide what someone else's employees are worth to them.

Obviously, it's providing the results that they wanted. I bet they don't get too many customer complaints, either.

If you take care of your workers and your customers first, profit will follow.

leoslp

Reaction score
I always thought fast food employees were generally made up of high school kids that work there part time. Not counting management. Used to be anyway.
I didn't think it was ever meant to be a career supporting a family of 5.
Pay used to be commiserate with the type of job/skill level and education involved.

So, does that mean the lady taking orders at the microphone and punching food labeled button and looking at the register to see how much change to give back is supposed to make as much a laborer at a construction site?

Absolutely right. As a teenager I started working in the mid 70's for extra cash so that my dad just didn't have to dig in his pocket for me for fun money. Fast food jobs have always been plentiful and always been geared toward teenagers looking for some money for fun/car/college/dates etc. Fast food work was never intended to be family support. Never even meant to be a full time job to support a away from home lifestyle which may include a mortgage or rent, vehicles and all life's necessities. The only time fast food paid counter/cook/maintenance help a decent wage was in high growth area's where you had other high paying high skill jobs and low volume of low/no skill help and to many fast food eateries opening. But once the fast food joints flood the area and the high paying high skill jobs go away and the market starts to decline, well the low skill jobs start to get heavily competed for...too many available unemployed workers and less job openings available means wages tank.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have a degree in philosophy and am an expert telegrapher and typesetter with years of experience in the commercial printing industry . Supersize your order, sir?
Biddlin ;>)/

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think I see an "undertone" in one or two posts here and it bothers me. When these people are kept to a part time schedule and paid minimum wage, it's good and business has the right to do it. When other businesses are cited that pay and treat their people better, here comes the bullshit. Oh boy, here we go. Now it has to be "indexed" to some day laborer at a construction site, or some other bullshit.

Bullshit.

If a company can fvck their people and it's their right to do it, then it's also their right to treat them as more than just garbage too.

Anyone who doesn't want the better pay and benefits can go work somewhere else.

See what I did there?
Probably NOT.

monsterwalley

Reaction score
I think I see an "undertone" in one or two posts here and it bothers me. When these people are kept to a part time schedule and paid minimum wage, it's good and business has the right to do it. When other businesses are cited that pay and treat their people better, here comes the bullshit. Oh boy, here we go. Now it has to be "indexed" to some day laborer at a construction site, or some other bullshit.

Bullshit.

If a company can fvck their people and it's their right to do it, then it's also their right to treat them as more than just garbage too.

Anyone who doesn't want the better pay and benefits can go work somewhere else.

See what I did there?
Probably NOT.

I should have prefaced my post you are referring to with:

Thats great they are paying their employees so well and including great benefits. But.......

It is great, my point was that is all I hear about how fast food employees are treated like crap and paid little. Well, there has to be a starting point somewhere. It used to be a high turnover industry and typically was a first ever job for most people learning about the work force, paying taxes and earning some money to get gas to go to the keg party at the lake on the weekend. Now it's turning into a career turning a hamburger over on a grill.

If an employer wants to pay his employee over minimum wage and provide excellent benefits, thats terrific. Shouldn't be expected in the industry.

Hell, when I was shoveling snow as a kid I would get 5$ a driveway. I had one lady with a small driveway give me $20 everytime I did hers. I didn't expect the others to pony up to that level, or brow beat them for not paying what she did.

Latest Threads