Fashion

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
What kind of styles are you guys going to rock in 2018? In my 20s I use to rock jeans and a black t-shirt most of the time but now that I'm 30, I kind of want to dress a little bit more sophisticated. Some clothes are timeless, appropriate for all ages and never go out of style, I immediately think of blue jeans and hoodies but there is a huge gray area for everything in between. What are age appropriate clothes for a 30 year old? I don't want to dress like a teenager or a 20 something year old, I want to show some sophistication and complexity in my fashion acumen and the last thing I want is to be 30 wearing Nirvana band t-shirts, what are my options?

sk8rat

Reaction score
cant really give you a solid answer without knowing what your tastes are and what you look like but there are some general rules of thumb; adults should not wear skinny clothes, slim fit is typically preferred by the fashion conscious but there are many different cuts of clothing and small factors that you never really realize change an overall look until you look into it, constantly wearing graphic tee's can come off as being too casual, dirty, old shoes are also a bad call.

one of the biggest factors is finding something that actually fits. not everything has to be slim but wearing too big/loose of clothes looks sloppy just as wearing something that is too tight also looks bad.

if you care enough, you could go to a nordstrom or other higher end retailer and talk to a personal stylist.

for me, my casual/semi formal go to is a henley and black jeans with nice shoes.

a factor to take into consideration is your job. if you are allowed to wear what you want, work around what you think is appropriate for that setting.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When your 20, its a t shirt, after your 30, your supposed to put a blazer over the band t shirt. :D

kristen-stewart-gallery.jpg

Mockbel

Reaction score
Keep your 20s clothes because you will go back to them at 40 (as I did) :D

At late 20s early 30s i shifted to shirts more than t-shirts.. tried to dress more like a mature man...

With greyhead and signs of age.. you don't need mature clothes to look like a mature man.. so i am back to jeans and t-shirts most of time

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
But isn’t that a girl??
We’re mostly guys.
When I was a kid, the other kids would make fun of your clothes if they weren’t whatever was popular. I caught plenty of shit because my shorts weren’t OP, but not nearly as bad as our friend who was mutilated (socially) because his mom stitched “OP” on his shorts. In retrospect, his mom was great. We’re still friends, actually.
There are things I miss about being a kid, and things I don’t.

DADGAD

Reaction score
But isn’t that a girl??
We’re mostly guys.
When I was a kid, the other kids would make fun of your clothes if they weren’t whatever was popular. I caught plenty of shit because my shorts weren’t OP, but not nearly as bad as our friend who was mutilated (socially) because his mom stitched “OP” on his shorts. In retrospect, his mom was great. We’re still friends, actually.
There are things I miss about being a kid, and things I don’t.

I don’t miss those days as a kid when there was all that pressure of wearing what’s “IN”. Seems silly now but it happens with adults too. I just don’t care enough. I like what I like and don’t care what you think.

As kids there was a department store that was a budget, price conscious place that was ridiculed if you shopped there. You didn’t want your friends to see
your parents with shopping bags from there. Went back recently after 25 years and it has grown as a chain. Kids are stupid.

sk8rat

Reaction score
When I was a kid, the other kids would make fun of your clothes if they weren’t whatever was popular.
I had the opposite experience. my friends gave me sh*t if I wore anything that was popular. even the cool brands weren't cool. to them it was stupid. why buy a $2 t shirt for $20 just because it has a word on it?

in highschool I was voted the fashionable guy even though 95% of my clothes were hand me downs and stuff I found at the thrift store. I thought I was going to get "most likely to be a burnout." or something like that.

I must have had a subconscious eye for fashion because I never really put any effort into the way I dressed.

Last edited:

DADGAD

Reaction score
I had the opposite experience. my friends gave me sh*t if I wore anything that was popular. even the cool brands weren't cool. to them it was stupid. why buy a $2 t shirt for $20 just because it has a word on it?

in highschool I was voted the fashionable guy even though 95% of my clothes were hand me downs and stuff I found at the thrift store. I thought I was going to get "most likely to be a burnout." or something like that.

I must have had a subconscious eye for fashion because I never really put any effort into the way I dressed.

Perhaps the decade which you spend your formative teen years may have been different. Fashion trends and attitudes differing in each.

lancpudn

Reaction score
I'm still a fine figure of a slob & still sporting jeans & T-Shirt well into my 6th decade......and some elasticated waist jogging pants, although they ain't going to get any jogging action. :thumb:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
strange thread title to see on a guitar forum __ that is mostly men . but there's no reason that men can't be concerned about their appearance ( or discuss it openly )
personally , I think the " I'm too cool to care " look is out / gone / finished . and good riddance in my opinion

I've never been one for large logos , band shirts , or designs on t shirts . and I've never worn a shirt with a saying on it . I like my clothes to be fitted , and my wardrobe is very minimal . can't really tell you what to wear __ as I have no idea what your personal style or lifestyle is . . .

if you're asking for options , consider a few things . nice shoes / boots . flat sneakers for casual look . button down shirts . some ties and jackets . and accesories

and look to the internet for people ( realistically ) in your size and shape for ideas

JTM45

Reaction score
I'm a jeans and cowboy boots guy or hiking boots and whatever shirt comes out of the drawer

danohat

Reaction score
I wear jeans and flannel plaids in the winter or long sleeve t shirts/thermals. I still wear band t shirts or guitar Ts.
Summer I wear shorts and Ts or nice shorts and polo style/ golf shirts. I golf a lot.
I dress for comfort but I look amazing while doing it.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Long t shirt, no pants.

funny . I always imagined you in something like this

american-horror-story-rubber-6771.jpg

now you've caused me the terrible inconvenience , of having to rearrange my fantasy

( and I see that now you've decided to change your post :laugh2: . __ I swear everyone . that's what he said first ! )

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
strange thread title to see on a guitar forum __ that is mostly men . but there's no reason that men can't be concerned about their appearance ( or discuss it openly )
personally , I think the " I'm too cool to care " look is out / gone / finished . and good riddance in my opinion

I've never been one for large logos , band shirts , or designs on t shirts . and I've never worn a shirt with a saying on it . I like my clothes to be fitted , and my wardrobe is very minimal . can't really tell you what to wear __ as I have no idea what your personal style or lifestyle is . . .

if you're asking for options , consider a few things . nice shoes / boots . flat sneakers for casual look . button down shirts . some ties and jackets . and accesories

and look to the internet for people ( realistically ) in your size and shape for ideas

I'm definitely a strange/odd guy, you won't hear me once deny it. I've always been into fashion, at least on some level. To dress as a young adult is easy but I find myself somewhere in between dad clothes and a pair of blue jeans and band tees. Don't get me wrong, the band tees aren't going anywhere on lazy days around the house but on the occasions where I'm really trying to impress someone, I realize that I really need to step up my game quite a bit.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
strange thread title to see on a guitar forum __ that is mostly men . but there's no reason that men can't be concerned about their appearance ( or discuss it openly
I’m concerned about my appearance enough to make sure my clothes fit and aren’t dirty. Beyond that, I’m not too concerned. And trying to figure out what look you want to ‘rock’ in your 30’s will accomplish one thing; you’ll look like a douchepail trying to figure out what look you wanna rock. People, ESPECIALLY women can see through this shit from all the way across the mall. If you’re jeans and T shirt kinda guy? BE a jeans and T shirt guy. There nothing wrong with being a jeans and T shirt guy. Nothing at all.

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
I’m concerned about my appearance enough to make sure my clothes fit and aren’t dirty. Beyond that, I’m not too concerned. And trying to figure out what look you want to ‘rock’ in your 30’s will accomplish one thing; you’ll look like a douchepail trying to figure out what look you wanna rock. People, ESPECIALLY women can see through this shit from all the way across the mall. If you’re jeans and T shirt kinda guy? BE a jeans and T shirt guy. There nothing wrong with being a jeans and T shirt guy. Nothing at all.

Was that really necessary? I'd rather look like a 'douchepail' whatever the fuck that is than a BUM or a 50 year old who dresses like a teenager.

Latest Threads