Famous Plain Top Burst Players

Midnight Blues

Premium Member
Reaction score
^
Almost looks like a three piece top? God forbid, could it be a Norlin? Say it ain't so!? :laugh2:

Full disclosure, I'm a Norlin owner/lover.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Slash... he owns 58s that are “Plain”. Not sure what he’s playing here but it looks prettty Plain. View attachment 407418
^
Almost looks like a three piece top? God forbid, could it be a Norlin? Say it ain't so!? :laugh2:

Full disclosure, I'm a Norlin owner/lover.
Not sure about a Norlin, as that guitar was probably somewhere around '87/'88/'89 (AFD was released in '87, and Henry et al bought Gibson in '86), but it's most definitely a 3-piece top. I think that was Slash's #1 touring guitar for a long time, starting around the Use Your Illusion era. I remember watching the Use Your Illusion concert videos over and over in my youth, and lusting after that 3-piece sunburst LP... :laugh2:

boola1

Reaction score
Not sure about a Norlin, as that guitar was probably somewhere around '87/'88/'89 (AFD was released in '87, and Henry et al bought Gibson in '86), but it's most definitely a 3-piece top. I think that was Slash's #1 touring guitar for a long time, starting around the Use Your Illusion era. I remember watching the Use Your Illusion concert videos over and over in my youth, and lusting after that 3-piece sunburst LP... :laugh2:
Yes, there were a lot of 3 piece tops in the late 80s. Nothing wrong with 3 peice tops. Remember, you're really talking about the difference between a 4 and a 5 piece guitar.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Yes, there were a lot of 3 piece tops in the late 80s. Nothing wrong with 3 peice tops. Remember, you're really talking about the difference between a 4 and a 5 piece guitar.
Oh, sure. I have nothing against 3-piece tops. A lot of them look pretty cool.

Midnight Blues

Premium Member
Reaction score
That was really supposed to be "tongue-in-cheek" and in hindsight, I should have typed it in purple.

:cheers2: to both of you!

ASG

Reaction score
Slash... he owns 58s that are “Plain”. Not sure what he’s playing here but it looks prettty Plain. View attachment 407418
That's freaking hilarious!
Just goes to show replicas... reissues etc and what does he actually play?

Someone posted Page no.1 and in my book a guitar that is mostly plain and has a hint of flame from 5 degrees out of 180 well thats a plain top to me!

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
That's freaking hilarious!
Just goes to show replicas... reissues etc and what does he actually play?

Someone posted Page no.1 and in my book a guitar that is mostly plain and has a hint of flame from 5 degrees out of 180 well thats a plain top to me!
There’s a very memorable picture from the Burst Believers first book in the series as well as the IVth pictured here. I just took thsee pictures from mine.

C9629D53-D7BD-4454-8DFE-05B5CFB6B1A7.jpeg
301C38B6-3805-4AEC-A7A2-CD3499C24026.jpeg
0A9CDC0A-3F09-4A4D-ACE6-C34A71E80A26.jpeg
250BDD6E-6C63-424E-98BB-E93B57B08877.jpeg

ASG

Reaction score
There’s a very memorable picture from the Burst Believers first book in the series as well as the IVth pictured here. I just took thsee pictures from mine.
Hey Moni! I am well aware he owns and must play others however the proof is in the actions of a man. He could afford to play a more expensive model live but he doesn't is kinda my point.

Leumas

Reaction score
I remember watching the Use Your Illusion concert videos over and over in my youth, and lusting after that 3-piece sunburst LP... :laugh2:
Me too, I've never been ashamed to admit that my love of Les Pauls stems directly from being a kid in the 80's who absolutely worshipped GnR and Slash as an impressionable youth. To this day I also want one of those old goldtop standards with uncovered pickups he played on the theme to the godfather. Live Illusions accounts for a solid 40% of what I watched from 92-95.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Moni! I am well aware he owns and must play others however the proof is in the actions of a man. He could afford to play a more expensive model live but he doesn't is kinda my point.
Most never bring their vintage on the road with them.