Famous concerts you saw, that were SMALL.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Not in the same genre as most but saw Merle not long before he died. Wasn't tiny but small in Lima Ohio at a civic Center I think. Man was he sick. Had no business on stage. Put on a hell of a show.

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ELP in Memphis was nearly empty. Couldn't have been more than 3-400 people in the whole place. They still played a hell of a show.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Perry Project Sept 1982, sr in high school. Fortunately my Brother had not yet gone back to graduate school, so my Parents let me go. Great show, my 2nd of 3 total concerts .

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I've never attended a show that was famous, but I've seen Eric Johnson in a 400-seat theater in Santa Barbara back when Ah Via Musicom was just taking off. Saw Santana at the Greek in LA, it was a surprisingly small joint. Acoustic Alchemy at the old Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth.

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
1994, Metal was in decline and Grunge was exploding in popularity. Saw Yngwie Malmsteen at a real dive. Still, he put on an awesome performance with at least 3 encores iirc.

CRobbins

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never attended a show that was famous, but I've seen Eric Johnson in a 400-seat theater in Santa Barbara back when Ah Via Musicom was just taking off. Saw Santana at the Greek in LA, it was a surprisingly small joint. Acoustic Alchemy at the old Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth.
The Lobero Theatre?

THDNUT

Reaction score
1994, Metal was in decline and Grunge was exploding in popularity. Saw Yngwie Malmsteen at a real dive. Still, he put on an awesome performance with at least 3 encores iirc.
That jarred my memory! I saw him too back in '94 at a small club. Awesome!

Last edited:

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not a famous concert, but SGeoff and I saw Chuck Berry in the gymnasium of a local college in Pittsburgh in the 70's. As normal Chuck showed up with just a guitar and the "management" (college kids) had to procure an amp and backup band. The drummer was so bad Chuck kicked him off the set and picked out another kid in the audience who rocked it. That gym was so small Chuck got the tuners on his headstock caught up in the basketball net over the stage. It was hilarious watching those bozos trying to untangle him while he kept playing Maybellene.

But the absolute smallest famous person gig I ever saw was Tracy Chapman busking in a doorway in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA in 1987. Saw her again a few weeks later in club that seated maybe 30, seats about 10 feet away. Her first album dropped a few months later and "Fast Car" went straight to the top 10 in the US and UK, so no more busking gigs after that.

I have another story about a small gig with Johhny Thunders that's too sad to tell.

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score
I've seen Ministry twice in small clubs in NYC one of the I was at the back of the club and I was maybe 40 feet from the stage. I also sa Alice in Chains (with the new singer) in a small theater in Atlantic City and Tool in a theatre on Broadway in NYC.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Probably the most 'famous' small show was Peter Frampton during the Frampton Comes Alive tour of Nov 22, 1975. Took place in the college gym at SUNY@Plattsburgh, NY. Songs from that show were recorded for the album.

Alice Cooper same gym only May 4. 1970. They just released Killer.

Allman Brothers Band with Duane, SUNY@Stonybrook, NY Sept. 1971

Steve Marriott, Jorma Kaukonen, Acoustic Hot Tuna, plus many others during the early 70's at a small club called 'My Fathers Place' Rosyln, NY. Very cool place.

Roger McGuinn Band at Nassau Community College cafeteria. They put cafeteria tables together for a stage. Free show. '74

Same place saw Poco sitting on the grass in the school quad '74.

Saw Electric Hot Tuna with Papa John Creech. They opened for Black Sabbath in a tiny theater in Hempstead, NY called the Beacon. Ian Gillan had replaced Ozzy. They did a real heavy version of 'Smoke on the Water' as the encore. Great show.

Twisted Sister at a tiny bar called Community Gardens is Queens, NY. I used to shoot pool in the pool hall above the bar. They were just starting out.

Foghat had rented a mansion in Belle Terre, north shore of Long Island during the 70's. It was a gated community up on some sand bluffs. We would walk the beaches along the shore to the base of the bluffs and listen to them practice, while we partied on the beach.

Gang of Four at the Palladium, P.i.L with Johnny Rotten at the Roseland Ballroom. Black Flag at CBGB's. (I had a girlfriend during the early 80's with blue hair who was into hardcore and new wave)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I saw the Dead in a bar in '76. I was 12 and my best friend and I snuck in.

I saw Lit play a private party. There were about 75 people. At the time, they were filling stadiums.

I saw Camp Freddy (with Billy Duffy, Nuno Bettencourt sat in for a tune or two) at another private party. There were maybe 50 of us when they kicked of the show.

Little Feat jumped in a played a wedding I was at.

Rowdymoon

Reaction score
Depends at what you mean by small....non stadium events?...The Jam ,81, concert Hall in Toronto seating/standing 1200?
Mid eighties, Johnny Winter , jubilee pavilion oshawa, max capacity 1000, The Spoons..mid eighties..same place as johnny winter.

Nard

Reaction score
I used to go to concerts at a small venue in Munich called Circus Krone. Im pretty sure it was only something like 500 capacity but some well known bands played there. I saw Meatloaf twice and both occasions the place was half empty. Great shows though. Another similar venue was Rudi Sedelmyer Halle were I saw Asia. Again half empty but great show. The one time famous (in Britain anyway lol) Chesney Hawkes played at my wife's works summer party for about 100 people tops.

Latest Threads