Fake Vibrola's on SG Specials etc?

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I am still learning about vintage SG's and have a question. I am seeing lots of SG's for sale online, both Specials and Juniors as well as Melody Makers that appear to have reproduction short vibrolas mounted on them. But, I could be wrong. I know that WD Music and others sell repros and that there probably many SG's that have been stripped of their original vibrolas. I have no problem with that, but sellers should be honest. On the other hand, I suppose that there were possibly variations with original SG's depending on the vendor who supplied the part. Anyway, here are two SG Specials The first one is a '68 appears to me to have an original vibrola. Note how the three screws that attach it to the body utilize spacers under the curved lip of the body. The arm attaches with a slotted screw. This is the same vibrola that is mounted on my '65 Melody Maker. The second photo is a '67 SG Special that I suspect of having a reproduction vibrola. The vibrola is identical to the one sold by WD Music and it has a phillips head screw attaching the arm. I spoke with the owner and he assured me that the vibrola is origina. What do you all think? What are the possible variations in original short vibrolas?
68 Special.jpeg
67 Special.jpeg

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
My first SG was a 1969 SG Special that I purchased second hand. The short vibrola was already missing. Later on I purchased a second hand 1963 SG Special with short vibrola pictured below.

Crazyparts also sells repro short vibrolas.

With the style in the photo of the 1967 SG Special, I have seen them where the lip with the three mounting screws has square corners and others that have a radius corner. Not sure if those were factory stock or repros.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
My first SG was a 1969 SG Special that I purchased second hand. The short vibrola was already missing. Later on I purchased a second hand 1963 SG Special with short vibrola pictured below.

Crazyparts also sells repro short vibrolas.

With the style in the photo of the 1967 SG Special, I have seen them where the lip with the three mounting screws has square corners and others that have a radius corner. Not sure if those were factory stock or repros.
That ‘63 is a looker!

smk506

Reaction score
There are several styles of both type maestro trem. The ones with the spacers and the bent metal lip AND the ones utilizing the base that holds the leaf spring are correct.

The other style of maestro more commonly, but not exclusively seen on 60’s epiphanies also had at least two variants.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
There are several styles of both type maestro trem. The ones with the spacers and the bent metal lip AND the ones utilizing the base that holds the leaf spring are correct.

The other style of maestro more commonly, but not exclusively seen on 60’s epiphanies also had at least two variants.
Thanks. Is it common to see both slotted head and phillips head screws attaching the arm?

smk506

Reaction score
Thanks. Is it common to see both slotted head and phillips head screws attaching the arm?
I believe so.

There may be some kind of breakdown of which year/model saw which features, or it could be a simple manufacturing variance, I’m not sure to be honest.

You can see some of the different examples out there by searching for maestro trem or maestro vibrola on reverb and then filtering by decade to the 60’s.

It would be great to know more about them but I haven’t stumbled upon any one good resource.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I believe so.

There may be some kind of breakdown of which year/model saw which features, or it could be a simple manufacturing variance, I’m not sure to be honest.

You can see some of the different examples out there by searching for maestro trem or maestro vibrola on reverb and then filtering by decade to the 60’s.

It would be great to know more about them but I haven’t stumbled upon any one good resource.
I appreciate your help. You are so right. There does need to be a resource for this information. A daunting task, for sure.

Deftone

Reaction score
My '67 came to me as shown, but the three screw holes are still visible.

IMG_1947a.JPG

I've considered getting a repro. It won't be original but it's not original anymore anyway.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
My '67 came to me as shown, but the three screw holes are still visible.

View attachment 548285

I've considered getting a repro. It won't be original but it's not original anymore anyway.
I really don't mind reproduction parts I just appreciate it when a seller discloses which parts are reproduction. Sometimes the use of replica parts insures the survival of some amazing vintage guitars. In the case of the vibrola I imagine that many were removed and thrown away. I doubt that there are enough original vibrolas around to restore all of the incomplete vintage guitars.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
My '79 SG Std came originally as a hardtail, adding just the plate removed from another's trem. Maybe my plate goes with one of the previous guitars with no-plate trems? LOL

ajory72

Reaction score
My '79 SG Std came originally as a hardtail, adding just the plate removed from another's trem. Maybe my plate goes with one of the previous guitars with no-plate trems? LOL

Perhaps someone likes Dereck Trucks SG :)

Latest Threads