Fake or refinish????

CarolinaGarageCloset

Reaction score
Good morning all you grizzly Les Paul and SG enthusiasts. I’m hoping for a little assistance or at least some explanation. I recently picked up what was reported to be a 1973 SG standard. The seller said he’d had it for 25 years. He reported it had never been repaired or refinished. Floyd rose bridge was professionally installed at some time. There are some little things that stick in my brain that don’t quite add up and I’m hoping you can help me with. I don’t recall early 70s Gibsons with this shade of red. I’m guessing it has been refinished. The binding on the neck is very white and although it is very well done I think it may have been repaired/replaced. The “Made in USA “ and serial are convex. Not stamped into the wood. Has anybody seen this? I’m having trouble uploading pics to the forum.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Doesn't look like any Gibson factory color I've seen in the early 70s.
You can check the cavities and under the kahler for signs of a refin.

none2low

Reaction score
Serial number is strange for sure. Color looks like it could be Cardinal Red to me, but I'm not sure if that was ever offered in '73 or if it was available as a special order.

Have you tried emailing Gibson pictures of the serial number and body? I believe they can still look up the serial number and tell you what they have it listed as.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Looks legit, but refinished. Might be grain filler in the old serial number depression that either swole when wet paint hit it or gradually began to sit proud of the wood around it as it shrank and/or settled over time. Not unusual to see that same sort of raised effect along glue seams, etc from the same phenomenon.

none2low

Reaction score
Looks legit, but refinished. Might be grain filler in the old serial number depression that either swole when wet paint hit it or gradually began to sit proud of the wood around it as it shrank and/or settled over time. Not unusual to see that same sort of raised effect along glue seams, etc from the same phenomenon.
Not going to say this couldn't be a possibility, but those numbers, and letters for that matter, look awful clean and sharp around the edges to my eye. I'd be really interested to know the actual cause of this.

moreles

Reaction score
A cavity search will reveal the paint history. The color does look strange, assuming the pics are good. The raised SN is unusual and suggests a refin.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
WTF is going on with that bridge?!!?!?!??

Some kinda custom plate covering a kahler route with a Floyd on it????

Reaction score
Excuse me but I personally would not have bought it. Who would be too insane to put a floyd on a khaler bridge, a gag behind a nut?
The color does not look original either and it looks like polyurethane, not nitrocellulose

The body may be original, but for me it was a very bad taste modification. I insist, excuse me for being rude, it is just my opinion and personal tastes may be totally different.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
Is it set up like a regular Floyd underneath??? More Pics!!!

Crazy shit isn't always bad right? sometimes crazy can be good. :dude:

neoclassical

Reaction score
That was a special FR bridge made for TOM/Nashville type anchor without routing. There used to be more info about them, but I couldn't find the old site. Here is a Reverb listing for one (not mine btw). https://reverb.com/item/19533733-floyd-rose-les-paul-1980s-chrome-kramer It has been replaced by the FRX. They stopped making these by 1990 prolly a few years earlier IIRC.

I just saw the route job, holy shite, maybe they were just meant for LP's and this was how it was made to fit an SG.

Last edited:

Latest Threads