Fake or real?

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ok dude, you win...but my friend had better not EVER tell me he called and verfied a serial number with a manufacturer and then I call that same manufacturer and get told it is a fake TWICE.

offer him $100 for it......if you want to sell it...put it on CL, someone will buy it (I hear).....

Just sayin'

emerald81

Reaction score
Fake les paul, the shape of the body... :hmm: Then the inlays, no nibs...

shane2mc

Reaction score
ok dude, you win...but my friend had better not EVER tell me he called and verfied a serial number with a manufacturer and then I call that same manufacturer and get told it is a fake TWICE.

you want to sell it...put it on CL, someone will buy it (I hear).....

Just sayin'

Actually, I misquoted what he told me about his call to Gibson. A few weeks ago when he first showed me the guitar, he told me that he called Gibson and the serial number checked out. That was the extent of what he said. I took that to mean that he verified the serial number and everything, but that's not what he meant. I asked him again today, right before I called Gibson myself, what Gibson told him. He said he called and asked them how to interpret their serial numbers. The person he talked to explained how to decipher their 8-digit serial numbers. Since this one had an 8-digit number, he took that as a good sign. He didn't ask them to check on the specific serial number.

I could go on for a couple pages detailing my decades-long friendship with this guy, but I don't feel the need. He's a great guy, and he would take a bullet for me before he'd try to cheat me. It was my bad for misunderstanding what he said, and now I feel bad for typing out my misunderstanding here and making him look bad - even though none of y'all know him. Regardless....the guitar is a fake Gibson, and he's gonna keep it. I wouldn't even consider trying to buy it and then pass it off on someone else.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't get the impression that your friend was trying to cheat you at all....so it's all good.

I think the wisest person is always the person who asks questions and listens to the answers. Don't "feel bad" for being wise :)

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
The seller said he wondered about it as well, so he called Gibson and gave them the serial number and they said that serial number was a white Custom just like what he had (other than the mods). I'll want to call and talk to Gibson myself to verify, although the seller is a friend of mine and I trust him.

OK, I got the serial number and called Gibson. It's a counterfeit. I actually called them twice and spoke to two different people, just to see if they'd both tell me the same thing. They did.

There's no way to say this nicely, so I won't bother trying.

Your friend is full of $hit, lied to you and was trying to cheat you. There is no way Gibson told him that guitar was legit. He either lied about calling them (which he would only have done if he knew it was fake) or he did call, was told it was fake and lied to you about it.

You called twice and there was no question at all from either person. They told you it was fake just as they would have told him and the hundreds of others that have called with the same serial number. In fact, as soon as you said white Custom, I could have told you the serial number. I've surprised more than a couple people on here by telling them they had an 020055 serial number before they posted it.

The guitars themselves aren't evil, just the scumbags that try to pass them off on unsuspecting buyers.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Follow up...

In the time it took me to type the previous post, you elaborated on your friend's original call to Gibson. If that's the case, I'll take you at your word.

I do however, find it hard to believe he never actually mentioned the serial number. If he had, they would have told him right away.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Looks like it would be a nice axe were it not for........you know :)

I had the same thought. Imagine an actual LP Custom in all-white with the black binding and black split diamond? Awesome . . .

. . . Gibson . . . said that there are hundreds of known fakes that have stamped serial numbers that begin with 020055 . . .

Yes, that series of serial numbers is FAKE...

I always wonder . . . weren't there any real Gibsons stamped in Nashville on July 19, 2005? Anybody who owns one must be facing a lifetime of frustrating explanations: "No it's REAL! I swear! I bought it at an authorized Gibson dealer . . . oh, screw it!"

shane2mc

Reaction score
I always wonder . . . weren't there any real Gibsons stamped in Nashville on July 19, 2005? Anybody who owns one must be facing a lifetime of frustrating explanations: "No it's REAL! I swear! I bought it at an authorized Gibson dealer . . . oh, screw it!"

There probably were some made that day. It was a Tuesday (I checked). But the serial number on the guitar in question here would indicate that it was the 585th guitar made that day. I don't know how many they made that day, but I assume it wasn't that many since Gibson said they never produced a guitar with that serial number.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
No offense, but if you need to ask if that guitar is fake, you probably shouldn't be looking to purchase a Les Paul.

shane2mc

Reaction score
No offense, but if you need to ask if that guitar is fake, you probably shouldn't be looking to purchase a Les Paul.

My misunderstanding of my buddy's conversation with Gibson about the serial number is what threw me. I told him I thought it was a fake when I first saw it. That prompted him to call Gibson.

But if you can direct me to the certification program that I need to pass before purchasing another guitar I'd appreciate it. I hate to think that I've been in non-compliance in past purchases. I need to fix that. :D

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
See Bro, I do not agree with that either..if there's something that looks a little off, doesn't feel right or is just plain strange....you ALWAYS ASK!!

That is how you learn...I still ask questions and I promise I know how to purchase an LP.....

However (and I swear, I will stop bashing your friend :) ) the people at Gibson did not veryfi it was a WHITE CUSTOM with the serial number unless they also verifyed it was a FAKE WHITE CUSTOM!!

ok....I have gotten it out of my system...we can procede with your LP Edumacation.....

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think we should respond to everyone we see with that number and claim to have store receipts and factory paperwork to prove it is ours....

shane2mc

Reaction score
Yes, that series of serial numbers is FAKE...

00c0c_i9OPw1gIKa4_600x450.jpg

Matching numbers.

PixMix

Reaction score
The body is obviously off by a mile. Both the white one and the clown are cut from the same template.

Latest Threads