Fake or real?

shane2mc

Reaction score
I found a Les Paul Custom for sale locally, but I want to make sure it's not a fake. It's not original. Neck has been sanded down, has EMGs in it and Telecaster knobs. Other than that, it is in great shape. The seller said he wondered about it as well, so he called Gibson and gave them the serial number and they said that serial number was a white Custom just like what he had (other than the mods). I'll want to call and talk to Gibson myself to verify, although the seller is a friend of mine and I trust him. We just wonder.

The one thing that I wonder most about is the headstock. Rather than ebony faceplate with MOP and abalone logo and split diamond Custom inlay, the faceplate is painted white with painted black Gibson logo and split diamond design. Truss rod cover says Les Paul Custom.

What about the painted faceplate? Legit?

PixMix

Reaction score
Pics would help, but the white headstock (???) raises some questions without even looking at pics.

shane2mc

Reaction score
I don't have pics right now, but I'll get some. The white headstock makes me wonder too.

TKOjams

Reaction score
Gibson has done white overlays before

Headstock.jpg

shane2mc

Reaction score
Gibson has done white overlays before

Headstock.jpg

Cool. Thanks. I'm gonna get the serial number and call Gibson to get them to tell me all the details of the guitar as built, just to find out for sure if it's legit and then what is original and what is a mod.

paco1976

Reaction score
The only thing clear so far in this thread is that we all want a white headstock LP now...

Farquad

Reaction score
While not a custom, here's a LP with a white headstock (this is the USA version, the CS version had ebony)

shane2mc

Reaction score
OK, I got the serial number and called Gibson. It's a counterfeit. I actually called them twice and spoke to two different people, just to see if they'd both tell me the same thing. They did. They both said that there are hundreds of known fakes that have stamped serial numbers that begin with 020055, same as the one I'm looking at. Oh, and a Custom should have a shorter serial number as opposed to the 8-digit number on this one. It is apparently a Chinese counterfeit, from what they believe.

It does look great, and it plays great. But not a Gibson, so it goes from $2,000 or so to $200 or so I guess. That's a bummer for my buddy. He did a bunch of work on a guy's car a while back, and after he didn't get paid he went to collect. He came home with the guitar instead of cash.

dteverhart

Reaction score
Sorry for you Buddy being taken. But that White Overlay looks sharp.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
More often than not, when you ask "fake or real", it's usually the former.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you haven't seen it yet.....

Sorry for you Buddy being taken. But that White Overlay looks sharp.

so shane, it sounds to me like your "friend" the seller, tried to take you??

The seller said he wondered about it as well, so he called Gibson and gave them the serial number and they said that serial number was a white Custom just like what he had (other than the mods). I'll want to call and talk to Gibson myself to verify, although the seller is a friend of mine and I trust him. We just wonder.

you should find you some new friends dude.....

just sayin'

OK, I got the serial number and called Gibson. It's a counterfeit. I actually called them twice and spoke to two different people, just to see if they'd both tell me the same thing. They did

BTW, I have a Custom with an 8 digit SN......

paco1976

Reaction score
OK, I got the serial number and called Gibson. It's a counterfeit. I actually called them twice and spoke to two different people, just to see if they'd both tell me the same thing. They did. They both said that there are hundreds of known fakes that have stamped serial numbers that begin with 020055, same as the one I'm looking at. Oh, and a Custom should have a shorter serial number as opposed to the 8-digit number on this one. It is apparently a Chinese counterfeit, from what they believe.

It does look great, and it plays great. But not a Gibson, so it goes from $2,000 or so to $200 or so I guess. That's a bummer for my buddy. He did a bunch of work on a guy's car a while back, and after he didn't get paid he went to collect. He came home with the guitar instead of cash.

I'm sorry for your buddy... I believe he was unaware of the fake.
Now the chinese make fakes than even sound good, bad news... very soon we won't be able to know what is fake and what is not.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LMAO...his buddy told him that HE CALLED Gibson and it checked out???

I really like the fact that no one has said a word about the heafstock being "painted"???

shane2mc

Reaction score
No, my friend wasn't trying to take me. Not at all. He wanted to give me the guitar, actually, as I've been helping him a good bit over the last several months. But I wanted to pay him a fair price for it, as he is trying to get back on his feet after some bad times the last couple of years. (long story)

Anyway....here are a few pics, just for education's sake. Maybe it'll help somebody else if another one pops up somewhere.

20140428_133259-L.jpg

20140428_133313-L.jpg

20140428_133323-L.jpg

Oh...and he took the EMGs out of it and put some humbuckers in recently.

Fritz44

Reaction score
Looks like it would be a nice axe were it not for........you know :)

Latest Threads