Fake on eBay

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
There are MANY ways to tell a fake. If you don't know how to tell, well then you haven't been looking at enough real ones, and that's ok. If you don't know for sure, just ask here and don't jump to conclusions (don't buy either). So, don't ask someone to tell you how to spot one, because no one can really do that, it's just something that comes with experience...

jsadctnfn1

Reaction score
Most fakes will be without nibs though.

you don't say? :hmm:

I was just saying you can't see a LP style guitar and just because it DOESN'T have nibs, think it is fake. I can spot a fake bro, you don't have to tell me. I was trying to let the OP know that just because they are not there....

kasu

Reaction score
you don't say? :hmm:

I was just saying you can't see a LP style guitar and just because it DOESN'T have nibs, think it is fake. I can spot a fake bro, you don't have to tell me. I was trying to let the OP know that just because they are not there....

It wasnt meant as criticism against your post or you. The point was that its not a good way of identifying a fake, just as you yourself pointed out.
:)

jsadctnfn1

Reaction score
It wasnt meant as criticism against your post or you. The point was that its not a good way of identifying a fake, just as you yourself pointed out.
:)

Exactly... nibs, or lack of is one of many things, other than they just look cheap as hell.
It's all good bro... but, how many chinese fakes have nibs?
Where did you get yours from? Does it say gibson on the headstock? Have you got any pics to post?

Callaway

Reaction score
The movements used by fake Rolexes are cloned Chinese versions of ETA's as real ETA's would be far too expensive.

Rolex only use in-house movements so the difference is easily spotted.

Not anymore Swiss ETA are starting to show up in higher end fakes an unwitting dimwitted friend of mine recently bought one without asking anyone about it he thought got a real steal rather pissed when we told him he got drilled. The only marginally good thing was he only got clipped $350.00 for a very low end Swiss 2824-2 loaded in a fake Seadweller. Yes I know Rolex uses an in-house movement done quite a bit of business with them through the years, point being a lot of unwitting people would never think or even have the resources to crack the case to see the goods so to speak before the scam is over.

The unwitting are who the prime targets are for this crap however the buyers who know full well there is no possible way a Les Paul Historic costs $300.00 or a Rolex Seadweller costs $350.00 I feel no sympathy for in the least.

kasu

Reaction score
Exactly... nibs, or lack of is one of many things, other than they just look cheap as hell.
It's all good bro... but, how many chinese fakes have nibs?
Where did you get yours from? Does it say gibson on the headstock? Have you got any pics to post?

Very few I suspect. I traded mine for a strat copy from a friend. It has the G-logo yes. I have posted it in another "fake"-thread. The "problem" is that I love it and of course got torched for it, cant do that on MLP. Ill survive though :D

With that said, I dont like people getting screwed..Ill report any fakes I see on ebay thats being sold as genuine...

But since you ask, heres picks anyway of my (modified and refinished) china girl, headstock omitted of course, in accordance with MLP rules:
DSC_0006a.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

flashbak

Reaction score
OMG, look at the nut slotting. It still has material from the nut slotting process on the end toward the fretboard! :lol:

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
The main reason I mentioned the nibs is because the AFD model on display on the Gibson website has them.
Something bad must have happened if a guitar of this age needs a refret (some luthiers remove them when doing a refret though, so it's not 100% proof)

Reaction score
The afd auction is still running..
Ebay isn't doing anything.
It even has a bid now from a zero feedback user too....

Guitarhack

Reaction score
No bueno.

I wish the Mods would create a sub section in the "Buy, Sell, or Trade" section to cover "Stolen Gear, Fakes, Frauds, and Scams"

Just seems like it would be easier for everyone to keep an eye out for it all.

I keep trying but they are not interested.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tip. I think if someone is brave enough to bid for that guitar can take it for free.
Paypal will have a full refund for being fake and no one will ask you to send it back.

Actually, when it comes to counterfeit/fake/Trafemark infringing items, Paypal will ask for it to be destroyed by the buyer, before a refund is issued, and proof of said destruction provided.

jsadctnfn1

Reaction score
Very few I suspect. I traded mine for a strat copy from a friend. It has the G-logo yes. I have posted it in another "fake"-thread. The "problem" is that I love it and of course got torched for it, cant do that on MLP. Ill survive though :D

With that said, I dont like people getting screwed..Ill report any fakes I see on ebay thats being sold as genuine...

But since you ask, heres picks anyway of my (modified and refinished) china girl, headstock omitted of course, in accordance with MLP rules:
DSC_0006a.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

Man... I wanted to see the whole guitar, headstock and all. Thanks for the pics though. What bridge did you put on that?

kasu

Reaction score
Man... I wanted to see the whole guitar, headstock and all. Thanks for the pics though. What bridge did you put on that?

Ah, no use in upsetting people with headstock pics. It is a counterfeit so... oh yeah, I did suggest a solution in some other thread (see pic, now for christmas I would like to suggest red socks though, (the one on the left would fall more under the term "replica" I guess, that whole discussion makes me giggly by the way))

The bridge is an ABR1 from Allparts.

This guitar was a ~56 goldtop copy with p90s to start with. Stripped it totally and refinished it with nitro, The original poly finish was well made but cheap looking as you said, goes for most poly finishes IMO though.

The thread I posted it in I think was called "Chinese knockoffs any good?" few more picks there, with the usual discussion to follow of course, pretty much like the one here.

DSC_0005-5.jpg

Latest Threads