Fake les paul custom

Fez Bear

Reaction score
Take a look at this.....

Black Gibson Les paul Custom on eBay (end time 02-Dec-10 12:40:58 GMT)

I am a noob here, but i do own a genuine gibson les paul, and to my knowledge this listing shows a genuine gibson les paul custom in the first image.

But the next three images show, in my opinion, amateur photos of a fake, as...
  • it does not have a CS serial number
  • a seemingly incorrect shaped headstock
  • no MOP gibson logo
  • a case that does not have a custom shop logo as the first image shows
  • and what i can just about see being no 'nibs' on the fretboard

Usually I dont feel the need to raise the issue of fakes being sold on ebay, as long as they state there copies i have no issue. My only problem with this is that it does not say on the listing that its a copy, and when i challenged the guy he seemed to think it was real.

You guys are the experts, would i be correct in reporting this to ebay??

Peace.

Fez Bear

Reaction score
yeah i have done now as well too, cheers guys.

jrnic

Reaction score
I once spotted a very similar "LP Custom" guitar for sale at a guitar show of all places! It was on a seller's table set up right smack in the middle of over 30 dealer tables. It had a price tag of well over 2 grand (I don't remember the exact amount.) I had to look at it a few times to really convince myself that it was a fake. The main reason was I never expected to see a fake in a place like that! I pointed it out to the dealer and his comment was something like that he was surprised that he got it so cheap. Anyway, after a little while I went back to that table and saw that he lowered the price to $400 and listed it as a LP Custom "copy." I guess I should give the benefit of the doubt to the dealer, and to his credit he lowered the price, but what if he knew and was trying to rip someone off? You have to be vigilant in every purchase you make today.

Csharp

Reaction score
I always look at their other sales, if any. This guy has stuffed bears and a paper tray for a printer, JUST the tray. Yeah, he knows it's fake.

The rosewood fretboard is a quick sign of fakeness.

Fez Bear

Reaction score
challenged him on the serial number issue (see below) and didn't really give me an answer. As jrnic said, its right to give people benefit of the doubt i guess, but i am highly suspicious he knows they are copies. Why put a professional photo of a real gibson? Plus hes selling two of them, identical listings too, suggesting profit is his motive.

i don't know. reported him anyway.

Dear fezbear,

sorry i dont know i will try and find out the picture is from source and the serial of the one sold will be unique to iself

- antoniothered
Reply in your email program or through My Messages

To: antoniothered
Subject: Other: fezbear sent a message about Black Gibson Les paul Custom #330501286888
Sent Date: 28-Nov-10 00:30:28 GMT

Dear antoniothered,

can i ask why the serial number does not begin with 'CS'?
regards

- fezbear

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Fez Bear, that one is a fake of course but just so you know depending on what year a legit Custom is made will determine whether it should have a CS number, only after 2004 or so should have them.

Pinkie

Reaction score
Serial numbers guys look how deep they are in the wood dead give away as well as all the buffing compound still in there, why do you miss this?It's a fake no doubt.

Louie

Reaction score
I like how the tuners are gold tulips in the first pic and nickel kidneys in the last.

L60N

Reaction score
I hit report too. I'd hate for someone to pay through the nose for a cheap fake.

The sequence I used to report (theres a mire of options):

Reason for Report
Counterfeits & Breach of copyright

Detailed Reason
Potential Trademark infringement

Additional Information
Other replica or counterfeit items

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
08015 = 801st day of 2001...?

Reported also.

fourdogslong

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if Les Paul Custom have always been made only by Gibson Custom?
I mean, is there any Gibson USA Les Paul Custom?

thanks

Latest Threads