Fake 2015 Gibson?

danisnotstan

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Forgive me if this has already been discussed and before anyone throws any rocks my way, please know that I did use the "search" function haha

Has anyone run across a fake 2015 Gibson? I know that there are things to deter that like the hologram but I came across a guitar for sale tonight where the hologram was what concerned me the most about it... it looked like it had been peeled up by a finger nail and then put back down. It looked like it was on top of the guitar instead of under the clear coat. The owner swears it is under. The pics were low quality of course. I'm pretty familiar with the "tell" signs of a usual fake so I'm sure I would be able to easily tell in person and smell if it were real or not. This may be ironic considering how much hate there is for the 2015's but... Has anyone seen a fake 2015 Gibson?

Attachments

• 2015 peeling.jpg
    2015 peeling.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 260

Reaction score
No, I haven't seen a fake.

I understand some of the hate of the hologram and understand why some radicals would want to take it off.

There are a lot of features of the 2015s that would be easy to detect and difficult to fake. Have you checked the other features?

danisnotstan

Reaction score
No, I haven't seen a fake.

I understand some of the hate of the hologram and understand why some radicals would want to take it off.

There are a lot of features of the 2015s that would be easy to detect and difficult to fake. Have you checked the other features?

I have not seen the guitar in person. I have an opportunity to see it tomorrow but I didn't want to waste my time depending on the feedback I received. I understand all of the complaints about the 2015's (and I agree with most) but the price is decent and it might make for a fun project. I'm curious if anyone has actually gone to the trouble of removing the hologram?! Haha

filtersweep

Reaction score
Is it peeling? Or is that the 3D aspect of it as captured by a bad photo?

Reaction score
I play a 2015 on semi regular basis, and I never notice the hologram. Whether it is there or partially there or torn off would not be a deal breaker. if it were partially off, I'd certainly use that against the asking price, then yank it off after the sale. But if it is indeed 100% under the clear coat, no big whoop. Unless you are a poser, you'll forget about the hologram in a month or two.

TheX

You're not the boss of me!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play a 2015 on semi regular basis, and I never notice the hologram.

I have a '15 junior and totally forgot that it was even there.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I have a '15 junior and totally forgot that it was even there.

Right, but is the sticker over or under the clear coat? I always assumed it was put on after the finish was applied but I have never seen a 2015 in person.

ThinLizzy

Reaction score
It's under, but a little minor surgery could probably remove it pretty easily. Maybe that's what happened here.

Bartmuley

Banned
Reaction score
I play a 2015 on semi regular basis, and I never notice the hologram. Whether it is there or partially there or torn off would not be a deal breaker. if it were partially off, I'd certainly use that against the asking price, then yank it off after the sale. But if it is indeed 100% under the clear coat, no big whoop. Unless you are a poser, you'll forget about the hologram in a month or two.

Yeah right. How could you forget about that ridiculous hologram? Seriously, it just looks ridiculous.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
That's crazy talk - faking a 2015. Seems like they would be losing money just like Gibson.

At the same time, if they are faking the GForce, maybe Henry is onto something.

bwillard

Reaction score
I have two 2015 guitars. Both of them look and feel like they are peeling on one side. It's normal.

danisnotstan

Reaction score
That's crazy talk - faking a 2015. Seems like they would be losing money just like Gibson.

At the same time, if they are faking the GForce, maybe Henry is onto something.

I agree that it would be crazy to fake something that is generally disliked and doesn't sell well (both based off of what I have read on this site and seen in local stores) but I also wouldn't be totally surprised either. What did surprise me was that when I Googled "2015 gibson peeling hologram", I got nothing but crickets... same result for "2015 gibson fake". As of right now, Googling both shows this thread in the top search results. I have seen numerous people complain about the smallest finish imperfections on their new guitars, how is it that no one would say anything if the hologram was peeling out from under the clear coat? (sounds like the guitar equivalent of flesh eating bacteria! haha)

bwillard

Reaction score
The hologram isn't peeling from under the nitro. It's just raised on one side.

Reaction score
Yeah right. How could you forget about that ridiculous hologram? Seriously, it just looks ridiculous.

I don't have a childish preconception of the hologram.

I don't let a sticker ruin the enjoyment of the guitar.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Never seen a fake 15 (why would anyone fake a 15 :laugh2:)

The hologram is under the lack. I would assume the previous owner tried to remove it.

Rob H.

Reaction score
I saw some new 2015s at GC, the guitars weren't beat up or anything like that....

The hologram was under the lacquer, but it was raised up as tho it had been decoupaged on. With the way lacquer ages around the MOP headstock inlay on some Gibsons, I wouldn't be surprised if the damned thing worked itself loose as the lacquer continues to cure.

danisnotstan

Reaction score
I just played a 2016 in GC yesterday and it was like the old school (no Les Paul 100 script, no G-Force, no brass nut, normal neck width, no hologram) so I guess there is no need to fake a 2015 when it would appear easier and cheaper to fake the 2016 instead! Haha JK

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Nitro + Vinyl Sticker = Shrinkage

I've seen a handful of 2015s where the Intel Inside sticker is bubbling, raising, creasing as the nitro cures. Vinyl wasn't meant to be overcoated with nitro. Another asinine move on Gibson's behalf.

And yes... who in their right mind would copy a 2015? They can't even sell the real ones... who would want a copy?

stgreg

Reaction score
Nitro + Vinyl Sticker = Shrinkage

I've seen a handful of 2015s where the Intel Inside sticker is bubbling, raising, creasing as the nitro cures. Vinyl wasn't meant to be overcoated with nitro. Another asinine move on Gibson's behalf.

And yes... who in their right mind would copy a 2015? They can't even sell the real ones... who would want a copy?

^ Agree.. And the nitro is over - pic looks like someone tried to dig the thing off (which would be the honorable thing to do).

Latest Threads