FAKE 1959 Gibson Les Paul guitars and the factory ledgers. A Wall Street Journal story 7-10-2020

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Joe B has said that he's not going to keep all his gear forever. He's just taking care of it and sharing it with people until the next owner. It's one of the things I enjoy about him and Charlie Daughtry, they share with others.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eric, if it's only half that you see are fake, you are a long way up the food chain! Relatively convincing fakes must outnumber the originals by a long way. I can still remember when it was reworked Tokais in a pre-internet era.
To put it more accurately: Half of the ones I'm PAID to look at are fake. They've usually been partially vetted when I get involved.

The ones I am merely ASKED to look at (non-paid) are overwhelmingly fake! :laugh2:

There are a few details in the article that need further explanation or miss the accuracy mark....bur considering the author wasn't a "guitar guy," he did better than some guitar magazines I've read!!!! :yesway:

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe B has said that he's not going to keep all his gear forever. He's just taking care of it and sharing it with people until the next owner. It's one of the things I enjoy about him and Charlie Daughtry, they share with others.
Like one of Joe's t-shirts says...

"Buy, Sell, Trade... Mostly buy"

pocket-back--grey.jpg

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I've always thought that copies of the 50s guitars must be pretty good by now. It is the one thing that has made me hesitant to buy an expensive vintage guitar (I mean besides also not having a suitcase of cash lying around). The LP plans have been available for ages. There are specialty shops replicating old nitrocellulose paint recipes. There is an entire industry of people doing "relic" finishes. I've read that even the blacklighting method can be tricked. Sure, there might not be that much old growth mahogany available, but how would you know the difference?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see any that are extremely accurate....for a variety of reasons.
It's a matter of human beings being unable to create something that is truly random, while nature excels in it.
Conversely, human being are very adept at recognizing patterns and irregularities.

Even when duplicating actual natural wear patterns, there are still signs of repetitive procedures.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's a matter of human beings being unable to create something that is truly random, while nature excels in it.
Conversely, human being are very adept at recognizing patterns and irregularities.

Even when duplicating actual natural wear patterns, there are still signs of repetitive procedures.
The "fake aging" is one thing....the paint formula (what I was referring to) is something totally different.

But yes, good points.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard the rumor that one of the "originals" off which Gibson created a CC is actually a fake? That and "which guitars in BOTB aren't real" are two questions that have always intrigued me.

masterglazier

Reaction score
What I really meant to say was, So how many are accounted for , and how many are real?

Last edited:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Whoa, says that Joe B now owns eighteen '59's? Last time I was reading about his collection he said he had four !!

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh my bad, I had no idea you were at the show, in that case, can you please elaborate as to what you witnessed?
The most I have ever seen in 33 years of doing guitar shows is maybe 2 dozen at any given show....and that was decades ago...

masterglazier

Reaction score
I am surprised that someone would come to a guitar show and try and pass a fake right in front of known collectors, and dealers. What is the reaction when they are found out? I mean, you have people that know everything to look for beaming in on the example!

Latest Threads