Faded LP Special TV Yellow Tung OIl/Shellac etc

ugmold

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a Faded Gibson LP Special, TV Yellow that I've owned for years, love it.
I applied a Formby's Tung Oil finish (6 years ago) on it because I found the faded finish wearing right off. Probably did about 15 coats.
I thought it would fill the grain, but no it didn't. Not bad, but I would like to fill the grain and end up with a non glossy finish.
Someone suggested using Shellac, then a grain filler, then more shellac. (not sure what type of shellac or grain filler.
Any Suggestions?

1.jpg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shellac is a pain…

i pore fill with either ca glue(2p-10) or z poxy finishing resin…
then sanding sealer…then paint…then 15 layers of nitro over the course of 5 days..if satin I spray it on last 2 coats only…

only way I know to fill pores is before the paint goes on or after the dye…
_—————————————————

if u don’t want to paint:
you could simply spray 36 layers of nitro and sand between every 9 coats…nitro can fill pores but it takes forever because it gasses off so much…plus it’s easy to sand thru

pore filling needs to be done prior to paint Unless u want to spray a zillion layers(36 minimum is just a guess) of nitro

hope that helps

maybe people in the luthier section know a better way but that’s i do it…
-chris

ugmold

Reaction score
Shellac is a pain…

i pore fill with either ca glue(2p-10) or z poxy finishing resin…
then sanding sealer…then paint…then 15 layers of nitro over the course of 5 days..if satin I spray it on last 2 coats only…

only way I know to fill pores is before the paint goes on or after the dye…
_—————————————————

if u don’t want to paint:
you could simply spray 36 layers of nitro and sand between every 9 coats…nitro can fill pores but it takes forever because it gasses off so much…plus it’s easy to sand thru

pore filling needs to be done prior to paint Unless u want to spray a zillion layers(36 minimum is just a guess) of nitro

hope that helps

maybe people in the luthier section know a better way but that’s i do it…
-chris
Thanks Chris,
I don't have the setup to paint. I know the shellac, hand rubbed with cloth, will allow a grain filler to work. I have heard it won't work on tung oil. That is why I want to go this route and preserve the original "color".

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris,
I don't have the setup to paint. I know the shellac, hand rubbed with cloth, will allow a grain filler to work. I have heard it won't work on tung oil. That is why I want to go this route and preserve the original "color".

me neither…I use rattle cans
works great..I get color tone nitro from stew Mac
It’s not hard to work with…I am not talented and have no problem with it…just takes patience and YouTube videos :h5:

-chris

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Is a great 3 part series on spray cans

i stain/dye most of the ones I do but the pore filling and gloss is identical…

this is as fun as playing imho…I love it

ugmold

Reaction score
Yes I watched it. I think I would have to sand to bare wood, paint does not like tung oil. Maybe I'll try the other forum, I just saw more traffic here.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is yours, but why screw up this guitar?

go buy you another one.....keep this one as is....they are fairly cheap.

They made TV Yellow in a couple of different finishes...some were thick and gloss....others were more opaque and showed the grain and pores.

This guitar was finished this way on purpose......and in my opinion is the ultimate TVY finish.

of course, my opinion is not worth much.......

Last edited:

ugmold

Reaction score
It is yours, but why screw up this guitar?

go buy you another one.....keep this one as is....they are fairly cheap.

They made TV Yellow in a couple of different finishes...some were thick and gloss....others were more opaque and showed the grain and pores.

This guitar was finished this way on purpose......and in my opinion is the ultimate TVY finish.

of course, my opinion is not worth much.......
You Buy me another one, :)

Maybe you didn't read my post. I put on the Tung Oil finish initially becaus e a months worth of playing wore it 1/2 off the back of the neck and some off the lower bout and I wanted the finish, so all I wanted to do was preserve it with some tung oil. It doesn't look bad, I'd just like to make it look better. I'm not planning selling it, it is my favorite.
Thanks

Latest Threads