Faded Fiesta Red vs Sonic Red

5F6-A

Reaction score
What's the difference? The former was used for the Chris Rea's signature Strat, the latter was used (and oddly enough discontinued) for some Player series Strats and Teles. Can you tell what the difference is? Top guitar is a 2019 Player model, the one underneath is the Rea's model from 1999.

strats red.PNG

anticarnist

Reaction score
There are a few threads on this topic. To my eye, the “faded” is not quite as vibrant and is known to have more of an orange hue in certain lighting. Love both colors and would likely face a challenge if asked to pick between them.

Yelir

Reaction score
Hard to say really when the lighting conditions are drastically different. The pickguard on the bottom looks like mint as opposed to an off-white.

Are they both stock?

judson

Reaction score
i think the bottom is faded fiesta red.....

im thinking of refinishing one of mine closer to that color

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Chris Rea’s original ‘62 Strat in Fiesta Red is looking a little the worse for wear these days!

It’s a strat that has always had a unique tone that worked perfectly for his style of slide playing.

He’s a woefully underrated artist on so many levels; songwriter, singer (with such a distinctive voice), multi-instrumentalist, and particularly from the point of view of this forum, a great guitarist with a very distinctive style to his slide that’s instantly recognisable once you know it.

This is the original ‘62 “Pinky”

72FFDBB7-B8A1-4843-90A8-DDC9380B081B.jpeg

Pinky at home with “Bluey” and the Italia Maranello that took over the main live slide role from “Pinky.”

5781961D-96BB-4AD5-BFA2-2E5B51AD339C.jpeg

Chris Rea in the studio with “Pinky” and “Bluey” — he was about as imaginative with his guitar names as Clapton was with “Blackie” and “Brownie”...!

He’s always used a little pocket made from gaffer tape as a pick holder, sometimes on the end of his guitar strap, sometimes directly on the guitar body — these have very much been hard-gigged instruments owned by a working player!

10CEA245-93EE-4A59-9DC3-FE1EA1B2DA40.jpeg

Rea playing “Pinky” live

EC9D8B81-602C-42C5-A3E6-28BA04CBF596.jpeg

It’s interesting to see how much of the Fiesta Red finish has been lost over time; I remember him playing that guitar about 30 years ago (!) and while it had always had the faded Fiesta Red that gave it its name, it was never that chipped and battered! While it looks more “red” in some of these photos, in real life it has always had that slightly-orangey-pink look of Fiesta Red that had faded over time.

From what I remember of his live gigs, before the Italia and other guitars took on more prominent roles in his line-up, there were usually just the two main Strats: “Pinky” in open-E tuning for slide and “Bluey” always seemed to be in standard tuning, looking at what and how he was playing.

For anyone reading this who has not heard of Chris Rea or who is only passingly familiar with his more commercial “pop” output, he’s definitely worth investigating again as some of his albums are real gems.

The long, haunting, guitar intro to “Nothing to Fear” ought to be regarded as an all-time classic piece of slide guitar:

The Chris Rea “signature” strat wasn’t really very much more than a limited edition run of the MIM Classic ‘60s strat (I’ve seen either 500 or 750 quoted as the number made) and Rea apparently donated all his artist’s royalties to a children’s charity.

26EBFBDD-828F-4DE2-9979-E3BAFD2448BF.jpeg

This photo does a better job of showing the pink-ish aspect of the faded Fiesta Red finish.

I still wish I had bought one of these Strats at the time; they’re not bad guitars but, other than the artist connection, it didn’t do anything my existing Strats didn’t already do. These days I’d grab one if I could find one and had the ready cash! It would, inevitably, end up tuned to open-E with a blocked trem...!! :rofl:

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
looking for a red fiesta recently....GAS has got hold of me

thanks for the vid post, never heard of Chris Rea...interesting to say the least :h5:

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Have a trawl back through some of his earlier work; it’s a bit hit-and-miss in places but he got messed about a lot by his record label in the early years as they wanted to market him as something he just wasn’t.

Nevertheless, there are some real gems to be found. I think my favourite albums are from the late-80s (Shamrock Diaries, On the Beach, Dancing with Strangers) but he always seems to be at his best with the quietly introspective and slightly melancholic tracks.

There’s a something very distinctive about his slide style. A bit like, say, Knopfler’s finger-picked fills and solos, it’s very recognisable once you know it.

Good look with the hunt for Fiesta Red! If money was no object, I’d be chasing something like this:

...and if I *really* had the cash, I could also go with this and complete the brace of Chris Rea-like Strats:

Short of an unexpected massive lottery win (!), I can’t see this happening any time soon (if at all...) but I can still dream and indulge in some online window-shopping!!
:rofl: