Factory or not?

dlbx2

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2012 Standard. The bridge and stop bar both have hex head set screws. It was my understanding that Gibson factory Tune-O-Matic bridges don't have set screws. The only ones that I have seen has been Tone Pros, and these screws are in the same position on the bridge and stop bar that the Tone Pros are. I questioned him about it and he says that it is all original factory. I hate to directly, or indirectly accuse someone of being dishonest, particularly since I am still learning myself. How about it guys, am I being round-housed, or did/does Gibson put set screw Tune-O-Matics on 2012 Les Paul Standards. Thanks, DLB

Tom.Ashworth

Reaction score
To my knowledge they do not have screws to keep them in place but this is a common aftermarket change to guitars

dlbx2

Reaction score
Tom, thanks for the reply. I realize that it is a common aftermarket change due to the tailpiece falling off, or the bridge, when changing strings if you aren't careful. But, when you are looking at a $2000 price tag, and you ask point blank about specific items, then you should get an honest, accurate answer. Here are the question and answer;

Hello, 2 questions.
1. Does this guitar have the quick release electronics panel?
2. It appears to have Tone Pro bridge and stop bar, as Gibson doesn't have set screws in the factory ones. Are there any other non-factory items?
Thank You,

1.) yes - you mean plug and play PCB board for pickups right?
2.) everything is stock

It wouldn't be an issue, as I kind of like the locking ones, if it were advertised as such. Am I being unreasonable! If you think so, say so. My feelings won't be hurt and I won't be offended. I bought and sold collector grade S&W vintage revolvers for years, and if you asked about ANYTHING with regard to an item that you were considering as a purchase, you expected full disclosure in the answer. DLB

jeffy

Reaction score
The 2012 Standard comes with Tone-Pro's locking Bridge and tail piece. The Tone-Pro's have been standard equipment since the 2008 Les Paul Standard

Even though the Les Paul Standard page has been updated since 2012, it still has the same specs.

"The innovative pairing of a locking TonePros™ Tune-o-Matic bridge and Stopbar tailpiece ensures solid sustain and precise intonation..."

Here's my 2012 when it was new. You can see the locking bridge screws.

DSC_0139.jpg

logen99999

Reaction score
Tom, thanks for the reply. I realize that it is a common aftermarket change due to the tailpiece falling off, or the bridge, when changing strings if you aren't careful. But, when you are looking at a $2000 price tag, and you ask point blank about specific items, then you should get an honest, accurate answer. Here are the question and answer;

Hello, 2 questions.
1. Does this guitar have the quick release electronics panel?
2. It appears to have Tone Pro bridge and stop bar, as Gibson doesn't have set screws in the factory ones. Are there any other non-factory items?
Thank You,

1.) yes - you mean plug and play PCB board for pickups right?
2.) everything is stock

It wouldn't be an issue, as I kind of like the locking ones, if it were advertised as such. Am I being unreasonable! If you think so, say so. My feelings won't be hurt and I won't be offended. I bought and sold collector grade S&W vintage revolvers for years, and if you asked about ANYTHING with regard to an item that you were considering as a purchase, you expected full disclosure in the answer. DLB

Honestly, if you dont feel you are getting accurate answers about the product, I would pass. There are TONS of LP Standards out there to buy. The classifieds section here, on TGP, and Reverb is where I go to look.

It could be the seller simply is ignorant to the facts, and that's fine. But if you want better answers, maybe look somewhere else. Like you said, it's a lot of money to spend..

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Yup he's Speaking the truth, they do come with tone pros, which in my mind just saved you some more money, because the first thing I would do if it didn't have it is go and add it!

tzd

Reaction score
If you're talking about the tiny locking hex screws, yes they do come on the 2012 Standards. The Grover tuners are locking as well.

dlbx2

Reaction score
I am smiling from ear to ear. You guys are the best source of information around. I now feel better about the guy's answers. I have watched every factory tour video I could find, and nowhere have I seen Gibson talking about using anything but Gibson parts. Once more, you learn something new every day. Thanks to all! David

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Standards as mentioned, get tonepros stuff at the factory.

Pretty darn cool.

It's a popular and worthwhile upgrade, and gibson decided to start doing it for us. More expensive versions of this type of upgrade, like the Callaham and Faber systems, are still out there for the gear hounds to chase. I'd stick with the tonepros. I've always been happy with their stuff. Very well made and easily found at major retailers and gear sites... second hand, too! ;)

Latest Threads