Facebook Meltdowns are FUN!!

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Wow....

I just got through a Facebook meltdown. It involved myself, my bass player, and my drummer.

The scoop:

For months I've been working on an album...Sin Nombre's "Curse of the Mariachi". (I did thank mylespaul on it! Hahahaha.) The drummer (who I was also in the cover band with)...was interested for a while, but once the bass player had to cancel a show because of skin cancer...eh, he wasn't into it.

So during this recording process: The bass player (who's also a recording engineer) offered to set him up with Pro Tools at his house and offered him up a deal on a mic consenser kit his father in law was selling. No dice...wasn't interested. So...we had to use EZ drummer for the demos...we invited him down...no interest. There was insistence on his end to record drums for the tracks...we left it up to him to book the time...he dragged his feet. Called one local studio with zero follow up. (We heard about this through the owner..."Hey, when is this guy gonna call me?" )

I finally had to all but beg him to collect on the studio time we won last year in the Battle of the Bands. The guy was a flake, but when he was ready, I had all but pull teeth to get him to call. We did the sessions...he wouldn't use a click track....drums came out sounding like hammered dogshit.

So..the bass player and I spent days and days recreating his drum tracks beat-for-beat with digital samples. What a nightmare.

So all of this is happening...the drummer from Day 1 was responsible for the artwork. He knew months in advance that he was going to submit the art, and since his livelihood is that of a professional graphics artist...I thought he knew what he was doing...this is what he submitted...(or a semblance of it. His formats were wrong and his cut lines were waaayyy off.)

the_sentry-albums-sin-nombre-curse-mariachi-cd-picture29867-sinsteve2.jpeg

So....my bass player submits this to Disc Makers on Monday after begging for WEEKS to get proofs with zero feedback. We get it kicked back on us...not only are the shadows, embedded text and the resolution shit for a CD, but the graphics were not the proper resolution per their specs, the text was embedded into the graphics...no flattened jpegs allowed...long and short...everything he used was flat out rejected...and there was no way to "fix" it.

Hell, he didn't even give it up in the right format....

I was pissed off when the bass player told me this. By then it was a burr under my saddle. I know for months the drummer was a bit butthurt that we resorted to EZ drummer, but at the end fo the day...he showed no interest in doing the tracks. I waited 3 months for him to make a phone call to a studio. He made ONE call...ONE... :rolleyes: .

So...Monday...we're twisting in the wind. The bass player's wife (who worked for a local graphics company) put this together working night and day for 2 straight days...

47464_1564264503827_1151799472_1697096_8225219_n.jpg

Disc Makers loves it...works with it...we'll be going into production later this week.

Now...the drummer sees it, throws a hissy fit on Facebook, says he's quitting the band and starts talkin' smack on his page. The bass player (who's been put off by this guy for months) launches in on him. From my perspective I loved his drumming, but it was obvious hindsight the guy didn't give enough of a rat's ass to read Disc Maker's bullets before cobbling together the skull cover.

So at the end of the day..I jumped in, begged him not to get ugly on his page...he ignored me...and it came back to him...as a graphics artist, not following compliance to make a CD cover...for a band that he's in.

It didn't help either of us to go there...I think it's worse for him because graphic art is his livelihood and over the coming months it's gonna come back: "So uh, hey man...why couldn't you design a CD cover for your own band?"

:laugh2:

Either way....a big black cloud over my CD debut...but it's goin' on itunes...I'm shopping another drummer right now. I also gave notice with my cover band because I don't think this is something that can be swept under the carpet, and to boot I need the dates open in the amazing event I do get a gig playing original music. (Saturdays are just...locked up).

I'm gonna miss Robust Rob...but at the end of the day...damn man...if you don't give a rat's ass, just say so. I feel like this whole affair's been strung out for months. What makes it worse is because the drummer has this tendency not to communicate (ie, he doesn't respond to emails or return phone calls) I've been a cipher between a pissed off bass player/recording engineer and a drummer I'd only see at cover gigs.

F#ck it. :laugh2: Gotta love the ongoing band drama. Either way...you know, in light of the circumstances I do like the new CD cover. It's something that doesn't necessarily look like a Hispanic hip hop album and it's something I ain't gonna mind looking at when I'm 60 years old.

(She also did all of the inside cover art...including the sluts!....unlike the drummer who probably grabbed his graphics off the web...thus, they weren't high enough resolution to use for printing...)

44436_1564266303872_1151799472_1697100_7918784_n.jpg

12 songs, 50+ minutes...

Sluts....

44436_1564266343873_1151799472_1697101_4742941_n.jpg

And thank yous...

44436_1564266383874_1151799472_1697102_65527_n.jpg

Damn...either way....they call it "Facebook" for a reason. It's not the place to air dirty laundry. I think it's gonna be really interesting around these parts in teh coming weeks...I have a gig with this guy on Saturday with the cover band. I hope they use the replacement. And although this puts a big black cloud over the CD release, at least I have a product I can shop a drummer with.

Sheesh...

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Shame about the grief but I LOVE the stage name!!:thumb::applause:

180gROC

Reaction score
Damn that bites. Sorry to hear. I was wondering what the drama was. Wasn't gonna ask...

You know if you need to borrow my beat monkey, he's a little slut and would fill in if you were stuck. I know ya'll can handle your business and all, but don't feel like you have to cancel any gigs because of rhythm section drama.

All's I would ask is that you give him back when you are done with him. :naughty:

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
It's too bad, I really liked the first design the guy did.

Let us know when the music is available to listen to with a link!

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Damn that bites. Sorry to hear. I was wondering what the drama was. Wasn't gonna ask...

You know if you need to borrow my beat monkey, he's a little slut and would fill in if you were stuck. I know ya'll can handle your business and all, but don't feel like you have to cancel any gigs because of rhythm section drama.

All's I would ask is that you give him back when you are done with him. :naughty:

I'll hit Steve up when he gets back from Colorado (He's leaving at the end of the week because his grandfather is dying.) But if we borrow the beat monkey, I wouldn't want to do that unless you came along for the ride, Stephen. (We're also talking with a local kid who's a hell of a drummer but is looking for something local.)

The CD will be back in a couple of weeks....I figure between production and shipping...eh, 2 weeks or so.

To be honest I'd do it all over again: At the end of the day all of this could have been avoided if the drummer made an effort to keep in contact. But when Steve the bass player was putting all of this together and working on it....he didn't return a single phone call.

180gROC

Reaction score
Oh believe me... if you borrow Johann, I *will* be there! I've gotta protect my interests! :D

I'm about to start a blues side project, and he is critical to that process. He's very easily influenced. I wouldn't want him thinking the grass was greener in Amador County, even though it is! lol!

Sorry to hear about Steve's grandfather. That's a tough situation.

Looking forward to the cd release!

brianugly

Reaction score
At least your album is finally out...and the new artwork looks great to me. You said its on Itunes, is there anywhere else we can buy it?

ajimrahal

Reaction score
I like the cover with the skull (a lot of different mexican elements in that), but (as you said it) probably is from the web.

Why don't you use the sluts image as the CD cover? It has more "punch" :thumb:

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
First, the guy was only ever going to hold the band back by his lack of commitment, ditch the bastard and don't waste a single tear.

Second, his design was amateurish. The second design, while perhaps not what you would have wanted is at least a unified design that looks professional.

Congrats on the album!

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Well, I did a special open jam tonight for the cover band which the drummer is a part of. I invited the bass player (who isn't a part of that band) so at least we could all at least air it out. I don't think it'll be water under the bridge.

Either way...the drummer was a no-show. Par for the course. :rolleyes:

Latest Threads