Face lift for my Custom

rbraad68

Reaction score
Hey guys:

About 2 weeks ago I had stripped my custom down to a husk for a trade I was doing for another LP husk. Well turns out this person liked my TV yellow guitar so we did the deal with that guitar instead.. So i had my custom hanging on the wall stripped down and naked :=) .. Since i had just used some of the parts off this custom for a Chibson I had just finsihed.. I needed to find some parts soooooo I went thru my parts bin and found what i needed to put the custom back together. For the pick up rings i wound up using a set of cream rings off a Gibson Tribute . I thru a 50's harness in the guitar outa a 2020 50's standard I picked up for 10 bucks. I went ahead for now used this set of Slash PB's i took out of my slash since they still have the plug on them and i could just plug them in. I had a set of tone pro bridge pieces in nickel i used. For the tuners i just used a set of grovers i put the keyston buttons on. I will prob find some grover locking tuners for it one of these days. I think the guitar came out great. I like the guitar much better in Nickel than the stock gold hardware. I still need to button up some loose ends but i hope to have it strung up later on this weekend.
gibson rings 01.jpg
03.png 02.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
OK I think it's finished. I decided to use the black metal dome knobs. They are nice and clean looking. The whole point of this face lift was to make it nice and simple and clean. I think i nailed it... Time to string it up. Fingers crossed the Slash Proc Buckers sound good in this thing...??
black custom finished 01.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe a cream poker chip and some Blk reflector knobs to finish it off?? But honestly I like the metal dome knobs so we will see.. just got the board oiled and the frets cleaned up a bit. I want to order those fret erasers. Anyone ever try those things? They go from like 800 to 3000 grit i believe. Right now all i have is some .0000 steel wool and some scotch brite pads....
neck 01.jpg

Reaction score
I currently use the ones from Crimson Guitars for polishing after fret leveling and they work really well. I think their finest one is around 2200 grit. Nowadays if it's for my own guitars, it's erasers followed by micromesh to finish off - that gets it very shiny enough for me already. For other people's guitars, it's erasers, then finish with Fernandes fret polish (they call it "Scratch Mender", but it's basically a polishing compound). That'll usually get it to a mirror shine, but if not then a slight buff with a Dremel.

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
I currently use the ones from Crimson Guitars for polishing after fret leveling and they work really well. I think their finest one is around 2200 grit. Nowadays if it's for my own guitars, it's erasers followed by micromesh to finish off - that gets it very shiny enough for me already. For other people's guitars, it's erasers, then finish with Fernandes fret polish (they call it "Scratch Mender", but it's basically a polishing compound). That'll usually get it to a mirror shine, but if not then a slight buff with a Dremel.
thanks for the info .. I think for now the fret erasers and some of that polish will do the trick.....

rbraad68

Reaction score
That's the ticket!
Yeah I found a poker chip for it all i need now is some knobs for it. But honestly I like the metal dome knobs they give it that nice and clean look. I may leave it the way it is now.... The slash pro buckers sound decent with the 50's harness i put in the guitar. Deffintly not as good as they sounded in the 50's standard i had them in before but very usable for now.....

rbraad68

Reaction score
I found a good deal on a set of the Gibson Slash pups with the rings plastics and poker chip. One thing I have noticed about Gibson plastics is that they are slitghtly darker than Epiphone's ....
gibson 01.jpg

I really like the way these Gibson pups sound. The slash pro buckers sounded good in this guitar too but these Gibson pups just have that sound to them that the Pro buckers didn't.. These pups were going to go into my Slash guitar but I just got that one sorted out with a set of SD JB n 59 so i didn't want to mess with that guitar. Seems i made the right choice. Though I am still getting used to the Zibra's in this custom. I deff like blk pups over zibras but im starting to come along..... I was able to use the Gibson Rings and Jack plate from the Gibson on my Epi.. Fun Fact!!

Now i'm not sure how many Gibson heads we have in here but I prob wont use the harness part with the pots and caps and output jack with the plate. I would like to recoupe a little bit of my money if any of you are interested. Pickups are dated 9-2-21 so all this hardware was prob taken out of a new guitar all at once.....

Attachments

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Ok tonights project is going to be soldering a epi wire onto this switch craft so i can plug it into the epi harness... I need to order a deep nut for it as well......

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
Some of you are going to hate this mod but I like it :) I wound up putting black tone pro bridge pieces on the custom along with the blk dome metal knobs. Looks really well and deff a nice and clean look. Plus I can always change it back to nickel if I get tired of it but fuck it here check it out fixing to string it up....
custom face lift 01.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
Pretty happy with the results. The guitar plays nice. I still have a few tweeks i need to do to it but she's dialed in pretty good now. I love these Gibson Slash pups I think they sound as good as the SD APH2's. Gibson did a good job with these. I would of been happy with these in the Gibson's Slash model no problem at all ... So much hype about the Epiphone and Gibson slash models not coming with the Slash sig pups. I honestly like both sets the Slash Pro Buckers and these Gibson Slash pups they both sound great. I have all 3 sets and 2 of the sets in my guitars now. The PB slash pups are sitting on my desk waiting to go in one of my epi's.....
custom face lift 0123.jpg

Attachments

Latest Threads