Face and neck tattoos

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I don't even remember what I saved 10 minutes ago.
Let's see...

OK. Now I realize...

:eek:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"You don't even realize."

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else here hate wearing suits? They make me feel claustrophobic. The sooner I can be rid of it, the better.
I didn't mind it at times.... A nice suit that fits, and NOT traveling, I had no issues whatever.... That being said, would much rather be in Levi's and a work shirt....usually DIckies or Amazon brand dark work shirts... Wear em every day to my shop... Where I get lunch, some folks think I'm a mechanic..... I just like work shirts... especially the Amazons.... Solid colors without the Dickies armpit stripes... Better shirts...

For the last several years, I have avoided anything that would prompt me to even consider a suit outside of Mom's funeral last year, or my son's wedding past spring... ;)

filtersweep

Reaction score
I didn't mind it at times.... A nice suit that fits, and NOT traveling, I had no issues whatever.... That being said, would much rather be in Levi's and a work shirt....usually DIckies or Amazon brand dark work shirts... Wear em every day to my shop... Where I get lunch, some folks think I'm a mechanic..... I just like work shirts... especially the Amazons.... Solid colors without the Dickies armpit stripes... Better shirts...

For the last several years, I have avoided anything that would prompt me to even consider a suit outside of Mom's funeral last year, or my son's wedding past spring... ;)
I like them. Loads of pockets, i get treated better no matter what I am doing. I don’t need to think about what to wear.

Reactions: ehb

PeteK

Reaction score
I have a friend and coworker who has a lot of tattoos. None on his face, but some on his neck and full sleeves down to his knuckles. He's actually a pretty smart dude other than the questionable tattoo decisions, but he acts surprised when he doesn't get chosen for management positions and they tell him he "lacks proper computer skills" or whatever bullshit reason they want to use. Everyone knows it's the tattoos.

The crappy thing is, he told the company in his interview before being hired that he has aspirations for management and he knows some people don't like tattoos so he asked them upfront if they were going to be an issue for him. They told him the tattoos would only be an issue for a position that deals with the public. I know for legal reasons they probably can't just say it outright. It just seemed kinda messed up they told him it wouldn't be an issue and it clearly is. But he chose to get the tattoos so what ya gonna do?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend and coworker who has a lot of tattoos. None on his face, but some on his neck and full sleeves down to his knuckles. He's actually a pretty smart dude other than the questionable tattoo decisions, but he acts surprised when he doesn't get chosen for management positions and they tell him he "lacks proper computer skills" or whatever bullshit reason they want to use. Everyone knows it's the tattoos.

The crappy thing is, he told the company in his interview before being hired that he has aspirations for management and he knows some people don't like tattoos so he asked them upfront if they were going to be an issue for him. They told him the tattoos would only be an issue for a position that deals with the public. I know for legal reasons they probably can't just say it outright. It just seemed kinda messed up they told him it wouldn't be an issue and it clearly is. But he chose to get the tattoos so what ya gonna do?

Sometimes the most talented and efficient person in a shop is the least likely to be picked out of a shop photo for being such.

Sometimes the guy in the shop photo that looks like he would be the #1 prize racehorse in the stable is the dumbest son of a bitch on the planet.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Regarding hiring and face/neck tattoos, it all depends on the job being hired for.

Bartender at an edgy downtown club / bar? Face & neck tattoos are fine. Financial advisor for high net worth clients? Probably not.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

That does suck, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the guy made a career move "thinking" he had a shot at a leadership role. He never had a shot. They might have served him better to not hire him in the first place. The hiring manager didn't look far enough out in the future to see that this was a possible problem waiting to happen.

It may just be a matter of time before he figures it out. The question then is, does he make a scene? Especially in todays workplace, the very mention "discrimination" causes a stir. What would the leadership team do then?

All of that could have been avoided if they just passed on him back in the beginning. Cruel? Maybe. But like the Mafia always says, "It's not personal. It's just business."

PeteK

Reaction score
That does suck, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the guy made a career move "thinking" he had a shot at a leadership role. He never had a shot. They might have served him better to not hire him in the first place. The hiring manager didn't look far enough out in the future to see that this was a possible problem waiting to happen.

It may just be a matter of time before he figures it out. The question then is, does he make a scene? Especially in todays workplace, the very mention "discrimination" causes a stir. What would the leadership team do then?

All of that could have been avoided if they just passed on him back in the beginning. Cruel? Maybe. But like the Mafia always says, "It's not personal. It's just business."
Well, he wasn't interviewing for the management position. He was very qualified for the position he was interviewing for. But he was trying to make his future intentions clear. I guess the short sighted management decided to not care about that and just hire him anyway knowing they would never consider him for a promotion. He's in his early 50's now and I think he likes this area so his career options are pretty limited without relocating so he's just going to be disgruntled until he retires. Had he known this was going to be an issue, he probably wouldn't have accepted the position.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Getting a face tattoo is like saying "I don't ever want a corporate / desk job". That's cool, but they should have to warn you before they commit it to ink...

That said, I could have my entire face and body covered in tattoos and it wouldn't matter as A) I work remotely (since long before Covid) and B) I never turn on my camera.

YMMV

PeteK

Reaction score
I seem to be in the minority for my age group. I'm 39. I have zero interest in ever getting a tattoo. Never have. They don't appeal to me at all. Occasionally I'll see an attractive woman with some tastefully done tats, but I'd just assume they weren't there. Not my thing. :dunno:

BigJim

Reaction score
Please, please, please... tell me that you fucked the shit out of her after the show. I know that taking advantage of the stupid is borderline criminal, but you gotta pick the low-hanging fruit sometimes.
Dude, it was such a shitshow that night.

My metalhead buddy got corporate box seats for this show. It was an all day "metalfest" but we were just going there to see Killswitch.

We go to the show, camp out in the corporate box, start pounding beers. "Sharkweek" and her merry band of slutty metal chix are in the corporate box next to us, and they have WEED! So we bogart a few pulls off their bowl, and pass a few beers to them.

20 mins later, me and my buddy are grabbed by security. "You guys are stealing beers, you need to leave". We are like "WTF are you talking about, we are sitting here enjoying the show". Then some dweeb comes up to us, he is the "owner" of the corporate box. "You guys are giving beers to people outside of this box, that's stealing"

At this point the show was about over, so we shrug and leave.

We took a train to the show (Newark NJ), so we head back to the train station, hop on the train back to NYC.

My buddy then realizes he doesn't have his keys. We get back on the train, ass all the way back to the arena (that has now emptied out and was about to be closed), spend an hour tryin to get back into the arena to get the keys. We finally see the security guards that tossed us, they have the keys with them...

My buddy did connect with the Sharkweek girl on Facebook, every once in a while he sends me a picture of her and that silly tattoo and we get a good laugh..

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Getting a face tattoo is like saying "I don't ever want a corporate / desk job". That's cool, but they should have to warn you before they commit it to ink...

That said, I could have my entire face and body covered in tattoos and it wouldn't matter as A) I work remotely (since long before Covid) and B) I never turn on my camera.

YMMV
Your real problem is that you are a lefty.
And anyway you wanna look at it,
it has to be in a mirror for the Les Paul to look "right".
I'm sorry for you.

;)

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
When I'm hiring people, I'm not hiring burger flippers or grocery store sackers or other low level people...I'm hiring professionals because I'm in a professional career...dealing with other professionals. So, when I hire someone I need to make sure that they are qualified, trained, intelligent and team players. I don't need drama or BS from my team.

I have a brief time to interview potential candidates and I'm limited by law as to things that I can't ask during the interview and some people are REALLY good at bullshitting and putting on a good front. Resumes and references are often unreliable and don't tell a complete story about a person.

What a person looks like, how they carry themselves, how they choose to present themselves, naturally comes into play. If someone comes in to interview with me and they don't look like they want to participate in "normal" society...I'm probably going to pass on them...nothing personal...I'm just not willing to take a chance, it costs too much money and time to find out if they're going to be a fit or not.

I don't care if you like tattoos, like to dress and present as someone of the opposite sex, like to wear your hair long or oddly colored or have natty dreds...those are personal decisions you make and you have to deal with the consequences...I don't.

PeteK

Reaction score
When I'm hiring people, I'm not hiring burger flippers or grocery store sackers or other low level people...I'm hiring professionals because I'm in a professional career...dealing with other professionals. So, when I hire someone I need to make sure that they are qualified, trained, intelligent and team players. I don't need drama or BS from my team.

I have a brief time to interview potential candidates and I'm limited by law as to things that I can't ask during the interview and some people are REALLY good at bullshitting and putting on a good front. Resumes and references are often unreliable and don't tell a complete story about a person.

What a person looks like, how they carry themselves, how they choose to present themselves, naturally comes into play. If someone comes in to interview with me and they don't look like they want to participate in "normal" society...I'm probably going to pass on them...nothing personal...I'm just not willing to take a chance, it costs too much money and time to find out if they're going to be a fit or not.

I don't care if you like tattoos, like to dress and present as someone of the opposite sex, like to wear your hair long or oddly colored or have natty dreds...those are personal decisions you make and you have to deal with the consequences...I don't.
Your cancellation notice will be delivered shortly.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m all about personal freedom but my philosophy has always been that I can’t fathom liking anything enough to have it in permanent ink ANYWHERE on my body, let alone my face, neck or hands.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Does anyone else here hate wearing suits? They make me feel claustrophobic. The sooner I can be rid of it, the better.
i think the last time wore suit was at my son in laws moms funeral a few years back.normally its shorts,tank top,and sandals.but i only have one tattoo.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
My son did a similar experiment for a middle school science project, seeing if a well dressed person browsing outside a car dealership would get approached by a salesman any differently than someone who looked homeless. Guess who got to be the car shopper.
last car i bought i was dressed in shorts,ratty tank top,and old sneakers.imagine the salesmans surprise when i wrote the check paid in full for my new camaro.ok,so my wardrobe is limited.i do have a pair of coveralls for the few cold days we get here.

Latest Threads