Face and neck tattoos

BigJim

Reaction score
I'm kinda fascinated with the people that dedicate their limbs for the "art". I'm too conservative to ever get one, and I totally respect anyone's individual rights to do with their body what they choose. I know ink has special meaning to some, and their tattoos are an homage to people or past events.

I was at a metal show, knee deep in the mosh pit, got hit with a "misplaced heel" and had to get away from the mellee.

I younger girl was nearby, we struck up a chat, as I was admiring her huge shark tattoo on her thigh.

"What's the reasoning behind the shark?" I asked her
"I love Shark Week on Discovery", she replied, "so I got this tattoo to show the love"

:dude::hmm::shock:o_O

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
I'm kinda fascinated with the people that dedicate their limbs for the "art". I'm too conservative to ever get one, and I totally respect anyone's individual rights to do with their body what they choose. I know ink has special meaning to some, and their tattoos are an homage to people or past events.

I was at a metal show, knee deep in the mosh pit, got hit with a "misplaced heel" and had to get away from the mellee.

I younger girl was nearby, we struck up a chat, as I was admiring her huge shark tattoo on her thigh.

"I love Shark Week on Discovery", she replied, "so I got this tattoo to show the love"

When strangers ask me the meaning of my tattoos, i usually lie (an elaborate one), or depending on the person...maybe I just say "it's personal".

I'm the only one that needs to know why I got it or what it represents to me. For anyone looking at it...it's art. Enjoy it and interpret as you will.

Just food for thought. You can certainly ask, but you won't always get an answer you're looking for. And hey, some people are happy to talk about it and be truthful. My close friends get to know, but not strangers.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign said, "Long haired freaky people need not apply."
I didn't even care about long hair as long as it was neat, and didn't look like they had been struck by lightning twice....

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Please, please, please... tell me that you fucked the shit out of her after the show. I know that taking advantage of the stupid is borderline criminal, but you gotta pick the low-hanging fruit sometimes.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FTR: I did not care if they did not have at least a HS&M level suit to wear.

My aunt was a master seamstress at Hart Schaffner Marx in Phila back in the 60's & 70's. She sewed the full customs, some that cost deep into four figures.

When I graduated college she sewed me an IBM-blue pinstripe, and also a grey windowpane suit.

HSM donated everything, including her time. I was blown away.

Best dressed entry-level employee - LOL

truckermde

Reaction score
LOL! You guys are like a bunch of church ladies at a sewing circle!

Anyway, I've been heavily tattooed for over 30yrs now, and went on to my neck & hands more than 20yrs ago.

It was a lot more radical then than it is now, I can tell you.

My life has not been stymied by my tattoos in any way. I own my own business, and my wife and I enjoy a million-dollar property covered with redwoods which is 5min from the beach, and paid for.

In my experience, the tattoos work as an excellent people filter, so my time isn't wasted by shallow people. They have served me well. :)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I went to my clothier/tailor, he several times pulled HS&M suits down. He said they were closest to right. and when he was through, they would be perfect.

It may sound silly to some, but going to a real clothier/tailor can make things so simple......AND you would get a quality product that would be sometimes timeless in style and would damn sure last longer than you'd want to wear it....

I could go him and he would tell me 'I need to know the occasion/purpose, where it is, and who will be there. ' I would answer all his questions and he would select without ANY hesitation. You could. see the wheels turning in his head.

When I went to final fitting check and pick up the suit, everything would be assembled waiting on me. Shoes, socks, shirt, tie, suit, etc.. He would tell me when I bought the last dress shoes and why they wouldn't be appropriate for that suit.

I rather enjoyed not having to make the decisions. I'm not that picky. He would explain the psychology of different shoes, ties, suits, depending on the occasion at hand and how to affect perception. I could look at two pairs of shoes that looked almost the same and he'd 'No, you can't wear those black shoes with this suit, it's just not appropriate. You must wear these black shoes. If it is work related, you can wear those but you should wear THIS tie instead of the one I've selected for the occasion.' Ok. Didn't matter to me as they both looked very close, shoes and ties....but not to him. It was pretty cool. I had gone to him over thirty+ years. He could tell me everything I had bought there and even the first suit my dad bought from him years before I was born when mom and dad were first married and would tell me he still had the silver dollars my dad paid him with.... End of an era when he retired old as hell.... There were also some dress shirts and such sold dirt cheap for some HS Seniors that couldn't afford a real nice shirt for grad.... Amazing how some things went on sale real quick like. Hell of a man.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Try flying with them. What a PITA. I wore one almost every biz day for many years. It's not just the suit(s) that you have to deal with. It's everything else that goes along with them: ties, shoes, shirts, cuff links, etc. And, in winter, the overcoat.

You always had to "touch them up" a bit, too. Steam them out in the shower, or sometimes pressing the trousers and the shirts. A nightly ritual in the hotel. Finding a shine for the shoes - usually in the airport or hotel lobby.

Biz casual came too late in my career, sadly. Even then, as an exec many times I suited up anyway. It was expected in certain places, events and cultures.

I haven't had a suit on my ass since I retired.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Uh-UH!
I think I know her.

Works at the Terrible Herbts gas station in Santa Cruz.

Started with a couple teardrops for her man in Soledad. That was a while ago…
You "know" her enough to know she's not a dude?

:hmm:

Wow!
Hats off to you my Man!
:naughty:

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I guess it’s better than a face or neck tattoo..

7041CD27-B6BB-47BF-9D4A-ACCAF2FFDB51.jpeg

Unless the person is in a widely known successful rock/metal band..people who sport a neck/face tattoos aren’t exactly killing it at life anyhow.. and likely don’t have a desire to. If only they worked as hard at life as they do posting inspirational quotes in FB. Messages about how God will put them where they need to be and how only the strong survive.. GTFO here with that..

Granted that’s a piss poor generalization but in my personal experience with people around this area… it rings true.

Latest Threads