Face and neck tattoos

I Break Things

Reaction score
Some of the pictures in this thread are downright disturbing... Who comes up with this shit..?

pnuggett

Reaction score
Years ago when pay phones were around an experiment was done at an airport to see if clothing/image had an effect on peoples reactions. They dressed a guy in some old jeans and shirt looking somewhat disheveled and then in a suit and tie looking well groomed. He would try to get peoples attention and ask if they had some change for the payphone so he could make an important call. Guess the results.

I Break Things

Reaction score
Years ago when pay phones were around an experiment was done at an airport to see if clothing/image had an effect on peoples reactions. They dressed a guy in some old jeans and shirt looking somewhat disheveled and then in a suit and tie looking well groomed. He would try to get peoples attention and ask if they had some change for the payphone so he could make an important call. Guess the results.
I always look disheveled, except when I was able to work and had a job interview. Then, it was button up shirt, combed hair, nice jeans or slacks depending (don't overdress), and I actually wore my glasses.

Regularly, it's messy hair, t-shirt, jeans, and I can't see a damn thing. I hate wearing glasses and having something on my face, but I'm too broke and can't be bothered with contacts.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I always look disheveled, except when I was able to work and had a job interview. Then, it was button up shirt, combed hair, nice jeans or slacks depending (don't overdress), and I actually wore my glasses.

Regularly, it's messy hair, t-shirt, jeans, and I can't see a damn thing. I hate wearing glasses and having something on my face, but I'm too broke and can't be bothered with contacts.

Don't ask me for change for the pay phone. You ain't gettin' it.

Spartom

Reaction score
My son did a similar experiment for a middle school science project, seeing if a well dressed person browsing outside a car dealership would get approached by a salesman any differently than someone who looked homeless. Guess who got to be the car shopper.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I give plenty of handouts to bums... so long as they approach me with a level of caution that I see as being respectful. The ones who try to shake me down get fucked with.

I try to do these things in threes... like, when I smoked, if a bum tried to bum a cigarette, I gave him three. He wants a buck? He gets three. But ONLY if I like the guy.

I had this one bum who used to hit me up in the parking lot of a bar I once frequented.

One of the bummers about the burb bars is that bums hang out in the parking lot, hoping to shake down milquetoast types, to get those who are revolted by their mere appearance to hand over some coin just to make them go away... or who size the mark up as being somebody who will fall for a sob story.

So, this guy came up to me at least a dozen times. He was a younger man, early thirties, well groomed... not actually a bum, but instead a professional panhandler... and his inevitable approach was the sob story.

I'd shrug and give him three. I did that because one time I saw some old dude drop his his Harley FLH, and the guy didn't have the ass to get the bike back upright.... but even as I was dismounting my scoot to go over there and help out, that kid ran over and gave the guy the extra muscle to get the machine upright... and to my surprise, he never even hit the guy up for spare change! :hmm:

I shrug. There are all sorts of niches out there, and somebody is bound to occupy every last one of 'em... but this kid wasn't so bad. I've had to run off shakedown-style NOLa bums (who sometimes double as strong arm robbers), but this kid was nowhere nearly such an odious person.

Now, this kid's story never varied. His deal was always that he was outta gas and needed to get to Orlando, where his father was in the E.R. and about to undergo a dangerous type of emergency surgery... and blah-blah-blah.

Yeah, sure kid: here's your three bucks... and that's even though the same kid hit me up with the same tale of woe at least a dozen times over a two-year period... and always in that same parking lot at about the same time of night.

But then I stopped drinking at that particular bar-- didn't like the routine clientele; didn't fit in with 'em at all.

So, I never did see that kid again... or at least, not for almost three years. But as it happened, one fine day I was walking into a convenience store a good thirty miles from the parking lot where the kid formerly plied his professional trade... and guess who came walking up to me?

Yep! It was The Kid, whose dad is perpetually in the E.R., always about to undergo a dangerous emergency surgery... and for sure, the kid was outta gas. He had that simpering look going on his face and everything... I was already snickering a little before I even got off my motorcycle... :laugh2:

So the kid said:

"Mister, can you help me? I'm outta gas and my dad's in the E.R. in Orlando, about to undergo emergency surgery..."

Guess I must have gotten sick of the kid, even though he was nowhere nearly as bad as some panhandlers I've seen out there... or maybe I just finally got tired of that same stupid story... because after his usual message I said:

"So, your old man is in the E.R., in Orlando, and about to undergo a dangerous type of emergency surgery?

"Yes sir," the kid says politely.

I laughed and said, "You mean that old bastard ain't dead yet?" :rofl:

Wow, shoulda took a picture of the look of surprise on that kid's face... and even though I'd asked him that question in a joshing sort of tone, absolutely devoid of menace, he blinked at me twice-- then swiveled quickly on one heel and hurried away as though I might pounce on him or something.

I laughed even harder when I saw him doing that. If he'd have just had more of a sense of humor and was just a little bit more honest, I'd have given him three bucks.

--R :laugh2:

Last edited:

filtersweep

Reaction score
I’ve wondered what drives the face/neck tattoo. Is it some mis-directed display of individuality? A not so subtle FU to the establishment? Or is it a challenge of some sort? You know, ‘What are you looking at?’ type a thing.

I’ve worked with a lot of guys -and to a lesser extent women- who have tattoos. It’s somewhat typical when you work construction. I never gave it much thought until a was standing behind a guy at a union meeting with these enormous wings creeping up over his shirt collar ending at his jawline. Nice enough guy and the word was he was a pretty slick welder. But he definitely had an air of challenge to him. Unlike another guy who worked with my that had eyeballs tattooed on the back of his head. That guy was just a damn clown.
I saw some dude in the beach at Tenerife with a single tattoo— his entire neck and throat— all the way around— nothing else.

Who starts there!?!?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son did a similar experiment for a middle school science project, seeing if a well dressed person browsing outside a car dealership would get approached by a salesman any differently than someone who looked homeless. Guess who got to be the car shopper.
I've tried that.
Doesn't matter what I'm wearing or how fucked up what's left of my hair is.
I can't walk onto a car lot and be left alone to browse the inventory... salesguys are freaking vultures.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried that.
Doesn't matter what I'm wearing or how fucked up what's left of my hair is.
I can't walk onto a car lot and be left alone to browse the inventory... salesguys are freaking vultures.
Hey, a sale is a sale.
My brother had friend who tried to buy a Mustang and the salesman thought he was too young and told him not to waste his time. The lad opened his wallet and said "This could have been yours." and walked away. He drove back later to show the salesman his new Firebird.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, a sale is a sale.
My brother had friend who tried to buy a Mustang and the salesman thought he was too young and told him not to waste his time. The lad opened his wallet and said "This could have been yours." and walked away. He drove back later to show the salesman his new Firebird.
I learned over time that how folks carry themselves and interact with people speaks more than what brand name and ago of clothes they wear.... How they walk, facial expressions, speaking cadence, level, pitch changes, etc., speaks volumes. I live in an area full of veterans and active. Some things cannot be hidden.

Under one hat, I did the interviewing in my div myself. As has been said, interviews can be a trip....and real damn short in my case.... Bear in mind, this was in IT on a substantial scale.

- One middle aged lady came in to interview.
a. Dressed in nice quality clothes BUT looked like a train had ran over them. Maybe a week on a steam table MIGHT get the wrinkles out.
b. Dressed as she was, she was wearing a name tag on her blouse which told me she had actually shown up to work such. That in itself, blew my freaking mind.
Nawt.

- One guy in his twenties came in to apply/interview.
a. He was literally wearing cutoff jeans and a white undershirt type tshirt.
b. He was also wearing a Budweiser cap in our nice lobby.
c. QUOTE: "Y'all ain't hiring nobody right now, are you?"
Nawt. We're not. Ever. Don't check back later....

FTR: I did not care if they did not have at least a HS&M level suit to wear. Not an issue. If they showed up with a nice polo and nice jeans, no matter the brand or age, but clean and nice, I would give them the courtesy and respect to talk to them. First and foremost, I wanted to see folks with some pride, confidence, and the damn guts to say 'I don't know the answer to that but I want to learn.' My dad told me several times, 'Watch their eyes. Eyes never lie.' Hired a couple of high school students... They impressed me. Both did extreeeeemely well in their lives after working with us. They were raised right.

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned over time that how folks carries themselves and interacts with people speaks more than what brand name and ago of clothes they wear.... How they walk, facial expressions, speaking cadence, level, pitch changes, etc., speaks volumes. I live in an area full of veterans and active. Some things cannot be hidden.

Under one hat, I did the interviewing in my div myself. As has been said, interviews can be a trip....and real damn short in my case.... Bear in mind, this was in IT on a substantial scale.

- One middle aged lady came in to interview.
a. Dressed in nice quality clothes BUT looked like a train had ran over them. Maybe a week on a steam table MIGHT get the wrinkles out.
b. Dressed as she was, she was wearing a name tag on her blouse which told me she had actually shown up to work such. That in itself, blew my freaking mind.
Nawt.

- One guy in his twenties came in to apply/interview.
a. He was literally wearing cutoff jeans and a white undershirt type tshirt.
b. He was also wearing a Budweiser cap in our nice lobby.
c. QUOTE: "Y'all ain't hiring nobody right now, are you?"
Nawt. We're not. Ever. Don't check back later....

FTR: I did not care if they did not have at least a HS&M level suit to wear. Not an issue. If they showed up with a nice polo and nice jeans, no matter the brand or age, but clean and nice, I would give them the courtesy and respect to talk to them. First and foremost, I wanted to see folks with some pride, confidence, and the damn guts to say 'I don't know the answer to that but I want to learn.' My dad told me several times, 'Watch their eyes. Eyes never lie.' Hired a couple of high school students... They impressed me. Both did extreeeeemely well in their lives after working with us. They were raised right.
Sign said, "Long haired freaky people need not apply."

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew my hair while at my previous job, but cut it before I left and applied at Walmart. Wasn't necessary, I have to say.

Latest Threads