Face and neck tattoos

filtersweep

Reaction score
The local Sunday newspaper magazine profiled some people with face and neck tattoos.

One guy not only heavily tattooed his face, neck, and hands, but legally changed his name to 'Lucifer.'

His profession was listed as 'unemployed.'

I might sound old-fashioned or judgmental, but is anyone surprised?

In all fairness, I know a few people with a few face/neck tattoos who didn't change their names to Lucifer, who are getting by in life. None of them work as judges or partners at law firms, but they pay their rent. I am pretty sure I would not hire someone with a tattoo above the collar, though full sleeves don't bother me in the least. When I see kids today, already I see loads of neck tattoos. The whole inked thing is getting more extreme. It is just a matter of time before I interview an awesome candidate with a neck tattoo. Is a face tattoo a black and white warning sign that someone lacks good judgment? Or are they starving for a certain kind of the wrong attention? Or is it just the next evolution in decorating one's body?

Would you want to deal with a cop with a neck tattoo? Or a judge with a face tattoo? Or does it really even matter? Loads of service jobs still forbid any visible tattoos. Would you want your kids inking their faces?

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not only would I not hire anyone like that, but I'd fire my admin for putting one of them in front of me for an interview.

Sorry. Not sorry.

While people are free to do whatever they want to/with their bodies (well, almost - but, I digress), they need to be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions. Part of those consequences are the lack of acceptance by others.

I have no animosity toward inked people. But, appearances matter - especially in the professional world.

Olds442

Reaction score
Not only would I not hire anyone like that, but I'd fire my admin for putting one of them in front of me for an interview.

Sorry. Not sorry.

While people are free to do whatever they want to/with their bodies (well, almost - but, I digress), they need to be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions. Part of those consequences are the lack of acceptance by others.

I have no animosity toward inked people. But, appearances matter - especially in the professional world.
fucks given regarding face tattoos = 1.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
have one on my arm,would be covered by a t-shirt.sometimes i look down and think"that was stupid."couldnt imagine tats on face or neck,that goes beyond stupid.

filtersweep

Reaction score
Capture_.PNG

This is one of the actual photos from the article--- not of Lucifer. Just pointing out they are not as extreme as some of the photos in this thread.

This woman is a single mother of two.

Even if she is well-adjusted, I'd regard these tattoos as some sort of warning sign.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Even if she is well-adjusted, I'd regard these tattoos as some sort of warning sign.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that she is not well-adjusted. Not even close.

Plus, I am trying to imagine my mother looking like that. I can't even begin to understand.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
View attachment 559223

This is one of the actual photos from the article--- not of Lucifer. Just pointing out they are not as extreme as some of the photos in this thread.

She looks like she likes to party. I'm in.

sonar1

Reaction score
Tattoo protocol: the higher on the body, the higher the honor.

My youngest son (41yo) has a tattoo in honor of his late mother (my late wife) on his neck.
I have “tribute roses” on my arm for a late son and my wife. I can wear a sleeved shirt and none of mine (I started in 1969 while in the Navy) will show. I’m old school.

BTW my youngest son makes serious money in sales.

I’ll finish with my usually comment:

8F3B58DC-397E-4BD4-9060-BDE2063684A8.jpeg

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can work in your favor as you expect one thing and get another.

six-string

Reaction score
people can do what they like with their bodies.
i don't need any cartoons on my skin.
i admit that is my prejudice. as a kid growing up, the people i knew who had tattoos were either jailhouse losers or former prisoners of war. i didn't want to be either of those.
i know...i know...it's "art" now. okay.

filtersweep

Reaction score
What about fat people? Would you hire fat people? Would you be OK with a fat judge?

I hate tattoos. Especially on women. Many years ago, a young pretty girl I knew got a “tramp stamp” long before they were being called tramp stamps.

We were talking about it, and I voiced my opinion.

She said “you’re starting to get fat. Getting fat is something you do by choice. For most people, it’s as permanent as a tattoo.

When you get fat, you will look worse and be unhealthy and it was your decision.

When I got my tattoo, it didn’t affect my health and I’m still good looking”.

She was right. It’s been almost 30 years since that conversation. I’m still fat. I wonder if she’s still pretty.

I’ve thought about what she said many times over the years. Tattoos are something people choose that alters their appearance. So is getting fat. One choice will marginalize you (depending on the location of the tattoo), the other is pretty normal.

I guess the big difference is, people who get fat likely very much wish they weren’t, while people with tattoos are generally OK with the choice. So which person is better suited for a job, a person who likes their body transformation, or a self-loathing fattie?
Most fat people don’t become fat in order to call attention to themselves. Getting a facial tattoo is done to make a statement. Obesity is something quite different.

There is a big difference between a tramp stamp and a facial tattoo. I have a good deal of ink below the neck. I understand tattoos. Facial tattoos are in a league of their own.

Latest Threads