Faber vs Kluson ABR-1

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
Anyone had experience with both of these? I need an abr with raw brass saddles. The Kluson is about $30, the Faber about twice of that.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
The Kluson will have a very slight clearance between the bridge and the bridge posts. The Faber locks down solid with no clearance. Faber is made in Germany. If you buy a Faber and decide you don't like it, you get your money back. Faber works best when you get the bridge, bridge posts, etc. Faber is a whole system designed to work together. I bought a Faber locking bridge with the E-Serts, steel bushings, aluminum tailpiece and tone lock kit and it really opened up the sound of my Les Paul and my ES335. Faber is built with the highest of quality. The Kluson is good, but the Faber is another whole step above the Kluson in quality.

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I am not replacing other parts, by the way, and won't be going with the locking system. I know the Faber is machined, and not die cast. How about the Kluson? If its not, that would warrant the price difference I'd say.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
I just went on Kluson's web site and they don's say if their tune-o-magic bridges are cast or machined. The do say their Harmonica bridge is CNC machined from a solid billet. After looking at their bridges, I would go for the Faber. At least you know what you are getting.

moreles

Reaction score
Kluson is consistently less precisely or finely made than Faber (or than several other brands as well) though in my experience they are getting better. I do not purchase Kluson stuff when I can go with an alternative. Though I know you are just going with the bridge, I will repeat the recommendation from David Ramey as I, too, find that the locked-down bridge gives you a more complete harmonic spectrum with which to work. Loose fitting parts function as unintended tone filters, sometimes for better, more often for worse.

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
Thanks, I will follow your advice then and get the Faber locking bridge. Just realized it can be used with existing posts.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
Check your posts and wheels with a magnet and see if they are steel. If they aren't, then you might want to get the Faber posts and wheels also.

Mickey_C

Reaction score
Kluson, hands down.

Kluson IS the manufacturer of the Gibson Historic parts, including their ABR-1. The only difference now is the one they OEM for Gibson has Gibson ABR-1 on the bottom. Otherwise 100% identical, as it's the same piece. The other parts are not labeled, and what you get from Kluson is what's on the historic les paul.

Consistently in every bridge AB I've done, even including the precisely machined Callaham, the Kluson wins.

The value of locking down your bridge is questionable; while of use while all of your strings are off (which you should avoid anyway), otherwise the bridge is pressed at alternating pressure against the thumbwheels. The pressure alternates as the force of the string vibration is applied downward on the bridge at the respective frequencies. Locking your tailpiece is a good thing - locking your bridge? Questionable... as you are now transferring all the pressure directly through the alen screws into the posts, and not onto the wheels into the post. Traditionally that is why the metal of the wheels mattered. I would go vintage style all the way on the bridge.. it sounds better to my ears.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
Gibson bridges used to be made by Schaller. OP, try the Faber bridge. If you don't like it, you can return it and get your money back (except shipping). You have nothing to lose and a lot of tone to gain.

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
I have never AB'ed this stuff, but I am thinking good mechanical contact is important for energy transfer. Thanks for taking the time to comment, but not sure I am following your physics, Mickey.

NotScott

Reaction score
I have compared the non-locking Fabers to Gibson Historics on a few guitars now. Changing only the bridge, the Faber made the guitars sound bigger, more open, with more lows and highs. The Historic sounds tinny, midrangey and small in comparison. It is an obvious difference that you don't need Eric Johnson ears to hear. Everybody I know who has tried the same comparison has ended up with the Faber.

jlee

Reaction score
I have compared the non-locking Fabers to Gibson Historics on a few guitars now. Changing only the bridge, the Faber made the guitars sound bigger, more open, with more lows and highs. The Historic sounds tinny, midrangey and small in comparison. It is an obvious difference that you don't need Eric Johnson ears to hear. Everybody I know who has tried the same comparison has ended up with the Faber.

I had the same experience swapping to Faber non-locking from a Gotoh. Wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference, but I could hear a huge improvement from the first chord.

viking20

Reaction score
People , while Faber the company is located in Germany , the parts are made in China.
I dont care , the parts I have from them work just fine

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
PIGTAIL

But between the 2 choices...

FABER 100%

I also would use the whole system, with either 1 of them I decided to use.

MojoAxe also makes good stuff.

PigtailMusic.com Home

PigtailMusic.com Home

winexprt

Reaction score
Faber USA is having a 20% off everything sale until Monday!!!

memorial_day_sale_2016_banner.jpg

Latest Threads