Faber upgrades...

bhyatt1

Reaction score
Finally made the jump to setup my '16 Standard with the Faber tone-lock bridge and tailpiece. Already have the tailpiece, bridge will be here Friday along with the adapters for the Posts. Going to try the iNsert posts first, then might try out the BSWKit if I feel it's necessary. Not looking for huge tonal changes... The guitar sounds great, this is mostly for looks as I've always preferred the nickel hardware on my Les Pauls. It will go great with the Doyle Coil covers on my pickups. :dude:
Will update soon with pics and a brush up on any tonal changes (if there are any)

jbash

Reaction score
It will certainly sound different after the switch to Faber parts. Which may or may not be an improvement depending on what you want to hear.

if you love the sound of.the guitar, I wouldn't change a thing.

bhyatt1

Reaction score
Luckily I have 2 les pauls with polar opposite tonality... If it doesn't work on one, I feel it will work excellent on the other.

bhyatt1

Reaction score
Came in... Got her all setup. Sounds great. More of that vintage tonality IMO although not a drastic difference as you would get swapping pickups or other things.

Wyatt Earp

Banned
Reaction score
I replaced my Nashville bridge with a Faber-Germany ABHN. I love it!

hamerfan

Reaction score
I have both Faber Inserts and the BSW Kit. The inserts are easier to install, but the BSW sounds a tad better with more sustain IMO.

Last edited:

bhyatt1

Reaction score
I have the tap I need to do the bsw kit... I may try to do that before too long

sonar

Reaction score
I did the BSWKit on my Standard Faded.

Long story short, I wouldn't do it again. The mod is too intrusive with very little, if any, tonal benefit.

To be honest, except for the Tone-Lock I've never been all that impressed with the Faber stuff. Imo, Faber's reputation is based on a lot of interweb chatter and website hype, which in my case didn't deliver in the real world. At first I thought the "upgrades" were an improvement, but after the honeymoon wore off it was just kind of "eh." The guitar actually lost some sustain on the 2nd string (I suspect the bridge) and I regretted the BSW almost immediately.

Aesthetically, I hate the look of Nashville bridges, but there are options other than Faber for an ABR retrofit that I'd pursue after experiencing the Faber thing. Same goes with my preference for the look of nickel.

Again, if i had a do-over I'd only be interested in the Tone-Lock.

bhyatt1

Reaction score
Well... If it comes to that, the original hardware will go right back in. But I don't see that happening for me

Last edited: