F***ing Deer

Frogfur

Reaction score
Its just a car..you are ok. That should be the big story here.Sorry though.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks R. It sounded a lot worse than it felt.

I think he committed suicide by car. He met me in my lane. By the time my brain processed what it was, my hood folded up and I couldn't see him.

Knocked the antlers right off his head, I did.
^^^^^^^^
Good for you!:applause:
We call them kamikaze deer around here. Dead bodies everywhere. Front lawns, ditches, roadside. I'm not buying that they are an endangered species anymore. Heck, WE'RE in more danger then they are.
I've lost enough headlights, marker lights, bumpers, doors and hoods to them over the years. And then to top it off, they get up and run away! They're not 'cute' to me anymore.
Dumber than a box of rocks too.
Glad you are alright!
Newer cars are made to fold up like that to absorb the impact to lessen what reaches you. Still sounds horrible, tho....:Ohno:

DotStudio

Reaction score
Texas and Pennsylvania rank number 1 and number 2 for deer collisions. :rolleyes:
I lived in PA for the majority of my life. Thought I dodged a bullet moving to Michigan. Hit one within the first six months. Booooooo

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I had one run head on into my car while it was parked. Knocked itself out.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one run head on into my car while it was parked. Knocked itself out.
Get out! I thought that only happened to me!:wow:
97 minivan, 1 on the road, two on the side. Stopped to let them cross.
Another come out of the woods by the side passenger door where my daughter was sitting. We waited for it to go around and follow the others.
Nope, launched itself right into the side door. Bent the crap out of it, at a standstill!
Stupid useless things! You can't even help them to help themselves!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Glad you are OK.

If you get the car repaired and they don't replace the lens on the driver's side headlight...hit that with some old school toothpaste and buff the shanizzle out of it to restore the clarity.

I have hit one (she bounced off the bumper of my jeep and into the snow bank, didn't leave a mark on my car). I had another one run into the side of my moving car, hit me on the rear quarter panel (and bounced off), shocked the sh*t out of me.

Glad it wasn't worse. I fear them on the motorcycle this time of year.
Just be thankful they have tapetum lucidum (reflective eyes). Moose don't. They are like a black hole on the road at night.

I used to come home at night to at least a dozen does and fawns milling around my property. The only decent sized bucks would appear for the rut and then disappear for another year. I guess that is how they get so big. I have had two, different, 12-point bucks in the yard (over 18 years or so). As big a pain in the ass as the herds of does and fawns can be (defoliation and sh*t everywhere), seeing the newborns and bucks make it worthwhile.

sk8rat

Reaction score
a guy I knew hit a deer, threw the thing in the back of his truck before the tow truck got there and cooked it up the next day :laugh2:

deers are stupid but remember, we are the ones speeding through their homes.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
a guy I knew hit a deer, threw the thing in the back of his truck before the tow truck got there and cooked it up the next day :laugh2:

deers are stupid but remember, we are the ones speeding through their homes.
They live on the Interstate? Or highways or even back roads? Then they really ARE too stupid to let live :)

If I hit one four wheelin' thru the hardwoods I would be inclined to agree with ya though... It could happen!:D

allwheelz

Reaction score
Damn things are running like crazy right now!!! I had my monte ss sideways a couple times last week trying to avoid collision. I remember racing my buddy a while back, i took lead over him, looked down at my speedometer which just hit 100, as soon as i looked back up, a deer darted out barely missing me, but my buddy nailed him square on. Totaled that car, but my buddy was ok. Damn lucky that thing didn't come in at him.

jkes01

Reaction score
Man, that does suck. Hard to tell from the pics, but might have structural damage to the "core" (radiator) support. If so, will complicate the repair and drive the cost up. If not, then replacing the parts is pretty straight forward.

Insurance companies will pay up to 70-80% of the value of a car to repair it. Often times they will write in "Like, kind, and quality" replacement parts. This means used (salvage yard) parts, aftermarket (cheaper, not as good as factory quality, fit, or finish) or refurbished (original parts, reconditioned). Many a "total" have been saved with junk yard parts, and there's nothing really wrong with that if done right.

It's really up to the adjuster and the body shop if they can fix it for that pre-determined value of what the car is worth, it just depends on who you get.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the rental car :thumb:

don71

Reaction score
Glad you weren't hurt. I've been through this and in fact most every member of family has too. Mid Missouri has lots of them. My biggest fear is an antlered deer breaking through the wind shield. Imagine that...ugly.

I like deer, but I sure don't like the property damage that can often be caused by these incidents.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Good thing it didn't "climb up" in your windshield!

A few years ago a deer hit my wife's car!
It came from the left and hit the left fender and side mirror, its tongue licked the window as she was getting past it!
She was driving at about 50mph.
They can be pretty reckless.

wizard1183

Reaction score
This time of year it's impossible to be aware enough to stay out of their way.
When the chase is one, they are moving!

I sometimes worry about getting run over walking from the driveway to the front porch.
Choot'em Jacob! Choot'em!:laugh2:

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sambar are a problem here too....another introduced species.

The General

Reaction score
That's a bummer, hope everything turns out ok. I hate those car killers.

I've hit 9 over the course of my life. They just seem attracted to me. 4 years ago I started at a new company and they gave me a company car. I hit 3 in the first 2 years. They changed our deductible policy because of me.

It's now a standing joke in the office that we have all these serious hunters that spend weeks camouflaged in the woods yet come up empty, while I can get one with the lights flashing and horn blowing. A few of them have threatened to make me sit in their blind with them since I seem to be more attractive than their doe scent.

I'm probably jinxed now.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
O have been ridiculously lucky to have never tagged one, but where I am now its just a matter of time. They are standing on the sides of the interstate IN TOWN. Like in front of hotels on the service road and ****. I drive a 2 lane highway 15 miles through the woods everyday and theres like no place to pass. Half the time I get stuck behind some slow ass dip**** that just refuses to click his high beams on. I just wanna reach out and strangle him, dammit, turn you lights on or let me by so I can. You cant see them bastards fast enough with lo-beams. They need to raise bag limits and encourage shooting does for a while to thin them ****ers out a little. We are lousy with them

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
I must have got them out off my system cause I haven't hit anymore in a very long time. I hit the first one around 2002 with my white 96 Corvette in Columbia, Md. with nothing but shopping area all around. The deer was killed and I was going about 35 MPH. Damage was very light but I did lose the left headlight as it was night time when I hit the deer. Mostly paint work was the biggest cost as the hood, headlight door, and front bumper had to be painted.

The car was drivable and know one would have guest I hit and killed a 150 lbs. doe. I take my Vettes to a guy who only does them. He got me a brand new hood from the insurance adjuster. The hood had some very fine cracks on the side by where the light was. He tried to get a hood first. The adjuster told him to just fix the tiny cracks. He told him that he would not guarantee they wouldn't come back explaining that the body panels on newer cars are thinner moldings not at all like the C1's, C2's and 3's. He also told him that it would cost much more because he would have to buy paint and materials twice to paint a new hood plus his time.

The adjuster happened to be on hand inspecting the repaired hood which looked great until the body man started buffing the hood. The cracks reappeared while the adjuster watched. I was suppose to get the car back that afternoon. I wasn't mad at all when my body man told me what happened and he got me a brand new GM hood. Plus the insurance company had to pay for more paint, materials, and his time. It ended up costing them around $1900.00 on top of the original $1600.00 and I got a new hood. I know it might seem trivial to some that some small hair line cracks shouldn't warrant a new hood but they weren't there before hitting the deer. So for trying to save $300.00 bucks more the adjuster cost Allstate almost $2000.00 more. Serves him right. :applause:

Latest Threads