Extreme Dinghy Racing in Australia

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first I was like, EXTREME? Doesn't look that extreme...

Till I remembered that this is in AUSTRALIA! Can you imagine the horrific ways of dying that live in those waters?

cjpeck

Reaction score
there'r nutcases round here that race home made planing hydrofoils hulls in the sloughs. Only things in the water are salmon and seals though. And the odd sea lion. god forbid you hit a sea lion. fuckers'r biggr'n an f250 and half again as heavy.

Last edited:

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty similar to other things I've done, I'd hit it.

cjpeck

Reaction score
I had a maintenance guy working for me up in Everett my last day job who did slough racing. Guy was nuts, hung a hot rodded Mercury off the back of a plywood and fiberglass hull that didn't weigh 100 pounds. Sure was fun as hell until you had to turn. I nearly ate shit on the banks pretty much every turn in the slough. Mitch just laughed his ass off at me. Told me I steered like shit even for a sailboat guy. I turned down a second outing, told him he was insane.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love it! There's a great deal of skill involved with that sort of racing. The coordination between driver & navigator is like mind-melding. So very cool!

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Its like waterborne motorcycle sidecar racing.

(Except there's slightly less chance of being eaten by a crocodile on a motorcycle)
Nah - they said it's in Renmark, which is in SA, which is WAY too far south for Crocs. Probably still some decent snakes though - but it'll be a branch/tree that kills ya doing that.

Awesome stuff: "It's not a sport, unless there's a chance you'll die."

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Actually I reckon most of those guys are more likely to die from alcohol poisoning at some stage...

cheers.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Looks like fun. Except . . . like you said, Australia.

In Vancouver they used to race bathtubs (yup) across the ocean to Vancouver Island.

1610745511956.png

Bathtub races. :rofl:

Latest Threads