Extending combo speaker cable

guitarbob123

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Marshall Studio Vintage 20 combo that I've got an attenuator on the way for (Weber Minimass) and the speaker cable currently is pretty short.

I could see there's a white plastic clip that was keeping the cable to the side, so I've unhooked the cable from that and now the length isn't an issue but the cable (shielded by its plastic coating, not bare) is close to touching the magnet at the rear of the speaker.

This shouldn't be a problem when playing, right? Or should I clip the cable back in place so it's nice and out the way until I can re-solder it with something longer?

From what I can tell the clip is just to keep things tidy and prevent any tension on the actual solders, if someone was to carelessly yank at the speaker cable (which I don't intend to do)

guitarbob123

Reaction score
Good to hear, I'd asked the question on the Marshall forum too and someone there's just replied the same thing at the same time as you.

Thanks for the help!

guitarbob123

Reaction score
You can also get one of these to extend with another cable - https://www.zzounds.com/item--CBI361IC
I did see a couple of things like that but a lot of people say they can drop out and that it’s probably not worth risking a transformer on it.

Weber themselves do a a cable extension with one end as a female jack and the other end as a standard male connector, but once I’ve added shipping in from the US it’d cost $60.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If it at all worries you, move the clip to an easier to get to spot. Unclip when using attenuator, reclip when not.

Harleytech

Reaction score
I did see a couple of things like that but a lot of people say they can drop out and that it’s probably not worth risking a transformer on it.

Weber themselves do a a cable extension with one end as a female jack and the other end as a standard male connector, but once I’ve added shipping in from the US it’d cost $60.
Don't believe that one bit ! I have used those extension speaker cables with no problem at all.. They work just fine...

madhermit

Reaction score
You can also get one of these to extend with another cable - https://www.zzounds.com/item--CBI361IC
Just a heads up that that one is likely not rated for speaker level signals. I tried to find one and couldn’t. I did find a Planet Waves one on Amazon that said in the description it could handle speaker levels, but when I got it, the packaging said specifically it was not for speaker levels.

I ended up buying a speaker cable and soldering a female 1/4” connector on in place of one of the male ends. Handy little cable. I will be making another one later this week too, but longer.

Latest Threads