Explorers: Modern body shape compared to '58 body shape? Yay or nay?

Kostas.

Reaction score
Just a reminder for those who want an(y) Explorer: It doesn't have to write Gibson on the headstock. Others do it as well and even better. I'm glad we are not in the 50's anymore and we have choices.

Cdntac

Reaction score
I also have a modern Super Distortion in the bridge of my Explorer, and I agree it sounds great. I find its more balanced than the overly hot 500T...it was too spiky sounding to me.

It's interesting how they used to come with hotter pickups --- keeping with the musical tastes of the day I suppose.

The Custombuckers in mine measure 8.2k in the bridge and 6.99k in the neck. Back to the lower output PAF similarities I suppose.

Oddly enough, another set of Custombuckers I own have the same bridge resistance but the neck is about 7.3k.

naveed211

Reaction score
I'd have to see them in person to notice any difference, if there is any. From these pictures it seems like the korina guitar is angled slightly upward for the photo while the black one is either straight ahead or angled slightly downward. Any differences between the two body styles would have to be minute judging by these pictures, at least.

I'd go with the korina one because it looks cooler.

02_1958Explorer.jpg

content_284829_703703492.jpg

Here you can see the differences, the 58 on top and modern on bottom. the lower left and upper right areas are different. I prefer the bigger, rounder shape of the 58

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I love a nice korina Explorer. Nice fat neck, very light and sounds incredible. :naughty:

IMG_20151226_145316280.jpg
IMG_20151226_145642167.jpg

Last edited:

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
From these pictures it seems like the korina guitar is angled slightly upward for the photo while the black one is either straight ahead or angled slightly downward. Any differences between the two body styles would have to be minute judging by these pictures, at least.
While it is true that the guitars are photographed at slightly different angles, there are differences to be seen :)

Start with the pickguard, look at the squared off end under the bridge - i'd say it is appr. 1 CM /~ ½ inch wider on the old one (and that one is even slightly angled back in the pic) - but the lower edge of the pickguard follows the lower horns bottom outline just like on the new one so the entire lower half of the old body must be wider.

Next there is the lower horn itself, on the new model the outline of the pickguard does not follow the upper horn edge - but the pickguard still ends at the neck pickup, in the same place as the old styled one does.
The "cutaway" seems to have a bigger radius on the old one (if you look at is a part of a circle) and therefore the entire horn is shaped differently.

Then there is the upper right area (where the upper horn would be) On the old style the corner is ever so slightly further away from the pickup, so that the angle at which it tilts to the waist of the guitar is a tiny bit steeper.

And lastly there are the two opposite sharp corners (upper left and lower horn) that simply are more rounded than on the modern counterpart.

But yes, these are small differences, and even though i actually like the slimmer modern body a tiny bit better, i certainly would not hesitate to get an Explorer in the old style, if i had a chance.

Standard

Reaction score
I like the older shape better for sure.

Actually, Gibson themselves have proven that replicating even their own product is all but impossible.

Have you not noticed that for every year in the past 25 years there have been new and improved (i mean, every new edition is always even more accurate than the one from the year before) recreations of the fabled Les Paul and they still haven't got it entirely right?

...what i don't get is why people obsessed with history buy these, by now they should know that an even more accurate remake will appear next year :laugh2:

So no, even if Gibson wanted to, they wouldn't be able to recreate the '58 Explorer, so let's just be happy that we get to buy Explorers in the first place, original or not :)

They know how, they just don't want to do it all at once because then how could they improve it every year and raise the price? Simple marketing.

BWOTW

Reaction score
While it is true that the guitars are photographed at slightly different angles, there are differences to be seen :)

Start with the pickguard, look at the squared off end under the bridge - i'd say it is appr. 1 CM /~ ½ inch wider on the old one (and that one is even slightly angled back in the pic) - but the lower edge of the pickguard follows the lower horns bottom outline just like on the new one so the entire lower half of the old body must be wider.

Next there is the lower horn itself, on the new model the outline of the pickguard does not follow the upper horn edge - but the pickguard still ends at the neck pickup, in the same place as the old styled one does.
The "cutaway" seems to have a bigger radius on the old one (if you look at is a part of a circle) and therefore the entire horn is shaped differently.

Then there is the upper right area (where the upper horn would be) On the old style the corner is ever so slightly further away from the pickup, so that the angle at which it tilts to the waist of the guitar is a tiny bit steeper.

And lastly there are the two opposite sharp corners (upper left and lower horn) that simply are more rounded than on the modern counterpart.

But yes, these are small differences, and even though i actually like the slimmer modern body a tiny bit better, i certainly would not hesitate to get an Explorer in the old style, if i had a chance.

Now I can't unsee these differences, thanks :thumb:

BWOTW

Reaction score
:D You're welcome :D

...now, which shape would you prefer?

I'm partial to the '58 style now (though I wouldn't say no to a new one :naughty:). Not so with V's, though, those I like the late 60's style better.

Guitarzandstuff

Reaction score
Just a reminder for those who want an(y) Explorer: It doesn't have to write Gibson on the headstock. Others do it as well and even better. I'm glad we are not in the 50's anymore and we have choices.

Yep... Gibson 58 and Early 80s Tokai. Not much difference.

16114796_10209826359707938_8550902189355951695_n.jpg

For the record as well... not just the body shape of the newer ones are different but headstock, neck heel and many other things. Funny, the original 1976 versions are closer to a 58 than they are to the '76 reissues.

Latest Threads