Explorer build - 1958/1963 style

Johan79

Reaction score
Hi,
The fingerboard is glued, I’m really happy with the result. I lived it alone for two days and just gave some tension to the rod and touched up the surface with my radius beam. I installed the side dots just before gluing the board. I won’t be able to do more this weekend.

I’m starting to really like that grain o_O

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

Johan79

Reaction score
I’m working on the neck shaft, starting with the facets method. Some work left to do.
Today I received the tuners and drilled the headstock. For the bushings I used this Stewnac reamer but the holes are too tight for the bushings, it‘s hard to press them in and impossible to get them out if I push them all the way.

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

pshupe

Reaction score
I’m working on the neck shaft, starting with the facets method. Some work left to do.
Today I received the tuners and drilled the headstock. For the bushings I used this Stewnac reamer but the holes are too tight for the bushings, it‘s hard to press them in and impossible to get them out if I push them all the way.

View attachment 541239

View attachment 541240

View attachment 541241

View attachment 541242
Looks great. Yes that is pretty standard for the bushings. I have the full set of reamers from Stew Mac. They have a 0.348" size as well. I find it really depends on the wood. If you want to string it up before finish you could screw in the tuners and not push in the bushings or you could push the bushings in most of the way leaving a bit of a gap to then be able to get them out. Recently I have just drilled the holes at 1/4" and only reamed after finish. I'm not sure whether the vintage Explorers were drilled all the way through with the bushing sized hole. They probably were. That way you could have a lip to push them out from behind the head stock. Lots of options.

Cheers Peter.

Latest Threads