Explorer build - 1958/1963 style

Johan79

Reaction score
The second veneer is glued on the right place and the headstock is at the right thickness and then cut to shape. Now I’ll have to buy tuners before I can drill the holes.

IMG_5032.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

Last edited:

pshupe

Reaction score
That looks awesome. What tuners are you going to get? I know Tom Bartlett has struggled to find something vintage correct.

Regards Peter.

Johan79

Reaction score
Hi,

No update today but I have a question : I wonder if I should route the pickup cavities flat or angled? I’m leaning toward flat routes.

That early explorer looks like the pickup route is flat. What do you think?
DB1F64EB-CFD2-4692-9CFA-9A28AC332D21.jpeg

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the drawings I have seen have them flat. Also, flat is easier :)

Johan79

Reaction score
Hi,
I made a template for the neck mortise and the pickups ears routes.

IMG_5044.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

Now I really need to make a box tenon jig to cut it at an angle. That is my goal for tomorrow.

dcomiskey

Reaction score

Johan79

Reaction score
Hi,
I worked on a tenon jig, inspired by Lee’s adjustable jig and Freddy’s table router jig.
I really miss a table saw and I hate MDF dust!
Unfortunately I don’t have any router table, I thougtht I still had my crappy DIY-made one but I must have dumped it when I moved, so no routing today :mad:
I just ordered a phenolic insert for my Triton router and I’ll convert an old ikea chest of drawers into a router table.

The jig is designed to be at 0° when the mobile part is set flat thanks to the four 16mm thick limba inserts. The 6mm dowels make it adjustable. I will use this jig flat on its sides on the router table for the cheeks of the tenon and standing with a overhead router jig in order to route the botom of the tenon flat at 0° and at the correct thickness. I know I have to reduce the heigth of the jig to adapt to patern bits size.

IMG_5058.jpg

I love that level box!

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

Now screwed in place for 2.7° angle of the Explorer. I’ll make a 4.0° fixed position when I‘ll make a LP.

IMG_5065.jpg

Last edited:

Johan79

Reaction score
Hi,
my neck angle jig is done and my pseudo router table too. I have cut the tenon today.

The cheeks :

IMG_5072.jpg

The bottom :

IMG_5071.jpg

After a little clean up :

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

The body side need a little touch up and that will be a good joint.

Bainzy

Reaction score
What size is your router table Johan? I'm looking at options for mine and wondering how big enough it needs to be for luthiery.

Johan79

Reaction score
What size is your router table Johan? I'm looking at options for mine and wondering how big enough it needs to be for luthiery.
It’s not really a router table but a converted ikea chest of drawers. 80cm x 48cm (31.5” x 18.9”). I used the 48cm side for that operation because this is a shitty particle board and it already started to sag. I will reinforce it with cleats.

Bainzy

Reaction score
Thanks, that's my fear. In our humid climate it's been a pain getting things to stay flat and my workbench is quite warped now.

So I'm leaning towards a cast iron top for a router table for that reason, the more affordable, compact ones are about 68 x 40cm which seems ideal but without using one it's hard to be confident I wouldn't end up wanting something larger. I guess you could always build extensions onto it if needed though.

Johan79

Reaction score
The edge radius looks larger than normal. Is that what you're going for?
Not criticizing, just commenting...
You’re completely right. I’m not happy with that at all. I read in a Tom Bartlett‘s build thread that it was a 1/4“ radius so that’s what I did and immediately regret it :( . I think 3/16” radius is the right bit to use.
I’m currently reworking the body trying to attenuate the big roundover.

pshupe

Reaction score
You’re completely right. I’m not happy with that at all. I read in a Tom Bartlett‘s build thread that it was a 1/4“ radius so that’s what I did and immediately regret it :( . I think 3/16” radius is the right bit to use.
I’m currently reworking the body trying to attenuate the big roundover.
Most of the build details for the Explorers were the same as the bursts and other Gibson guitars of that era. That would mean a standard 3/16" round over. Tom uses a 3/16" round over. Most of the things I learned about those vintage guitars I learned from Tom. I'm sure it will look fine once it's complete. We agonize over such small details when building and then never think of them again. Great thread and build. Looking forward to the completed guitar again great job. I will hopefully be making one of these soon.

Cheers Peter.

Johan79

Reaction score
Thanks Peter :)
I’d like to see you build an Explorer.

Johan79

Reaction score
Hi,
today I have made the radius of the fingerboard and have made a caul for building another caul : the fb gluing caul that is 12” radius concave in width and slightly convex in length. Next are the side dots and gluing the fingerboard. I will fret after.

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

Last edited:

Johan79

Reaction score
I made small cleats to prevent any slippage.

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

And now it’s gluing time. I used hot hide glue. Hope it won’t bow in the wrong way. :Ohno:

IMG_5100.jpg

Latest Threads