Explanation For Finish Peeling on Murphy Lab LPs

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a problem with the pore filler mix originally but there is also some concern about the nitro thickness and brittleness. We shall see how this one turns out.

I would take plenty of photos of it now so you can have a catalog of “as-it-arrived” pics to compare if issues appear in the future.

KeoRS

Reaction score
I would take plenty of photos of it now so you can have a catalog of “as-it-arrived” pics to compare if issues appear in the future.

and a 5-6 hour long time lapse of the case closed inside your house before take those pictures (proof that you’re following Gibson instructions to a T)

calieng

Reaction score

Yes good idea because on the previous one you could barely see the finish cracks at first but then after a few days they became more noticeable. I think the finish was shrinking as it off-gassed the volatile additives.

Tarcisioo

Reaction score
Once again looks like a nice guitar but the top is still not close to the one I originally purchased. Hard to even call it a flame top. More like a figured top that used to go on '58s rather than a '59.

IMO, the new guitar looks way more convincing and have a very vintage vibe. I like it better, and I like the top way better on it. You shouldn't worry about it. I would even consider letting it sink some sunrays on it, a little fading here and there. It sure is a looker. Great guitar you got there, hope you bond with it

calieng

Reaction score
IMO, the new guitar looks way more convincing and have a very vintage vibe. I like it better, and I like the top way better on it. You shouldn't worry about it. I would even consider letting it sink some sunrays on it, a little fading here and there. It sure is a looker. Great guitar you got there, hope you bond with it

Thanks. I'll see how it works out. Keeping my fingers crossed that the finish stays on this time.

calieng

Reaction score
I just got the UPS notice of another shipment from Gibson tonight. That will be the heavy aged '59 to be delivered this Friday.

Really hoping it has a nice top....or I will be throwing the biggest internet hissy-fit you have seen in years...

crying-baby-istock660.jpg

GearHo

Reaction score
True Historic
play authentic
””Fans”
”deflake- gate”

asshats anonymous has three new members.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Once again looks like a nice guitar but the top is still not close to the one I originally purchased. Hard to even call it a flame top. More like a figured top that used to go on '58s rather than a '59.

New Guitar
View attachment 558400

Original
View attachment 558402

The top on the new replacement guitar does have a vintage vibe, but then so did your original which to be frank looked like a superior, nicely flamed example of a vintage ‘burst - the type that would command a premium. Your replacement is still a nice guitar, no doubt, but it’s unavoidable that the original was way prettier.

Gibson sending out any random guitar they select as a replacement may be the minimum they have to do by the terms of their warranty agreement, but it’s garbage level customer service when dealing with customers who paid $$$$$$ for premium guitars. Not to mention a customer returning multiple guitars, and having previously received a defective replacement.

I do hope the heavy aged you receive is a fair replacement for the one you sent back.

calieng

Reaction score
The top on the new replacement guitar does have a vintage vibe, but then so did your original which to be frank looked like a superior, nicely flamed example of a vintage ‘burst - the type that would command a premium. Your replacement is still a nice guitar, no doubt, but it’s unavoidable that the original was way prettier.

Gibson sending out any random guitar they select as a replacement may be the minimum they have to do by the terms of their warranty agreement, but it’s garbage level customer service when dealing with customers who paid $$$$$$ for premium guitars. Not to mention a customer returning multiple guitars, and having previously received a defective replacement.

I do hope the heavy aged you receive is a fair replacement for the one you sent back.

Thanks. I'll post pics of the replacement on Friday. Let's hope for the best.

This was the one being replaced.

901601-4_5000x.jpg

901601-1_2000x-2.jpg

Last edited:

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think it would be easy for them (Gibson) to send an email saying, "We've received your defective guitar and are set to replace it. Please choose A, B, or C guitar" with 3 pictures/choices attached to the email.

I suppose that opens up a can of worms for the "what else ya got" question from the buyer, but I gotta say I would not accept a guitar I didn't pick out myself as a replacement.

KeoRS

Reaction score
You would think it would be easy for them (Gibson) to send an email saying, "We've received your defective guitar and are set to replace it. Please choose A, B, or C guitar" with 3 pictures/choices attached to the email.

I suppose that opens up a can of worms for the "what else ya got" question from the buyer, but I gotta say I would not accept a guitar I didn't pick out myself as a replacement.

T'is my dream (if they replace mine)... I would find it really weird that mine gets repaired and not replaced like calieng's... 7 weeks since I saw my ML. :doh:

kelsodeez

Reaction score
T'is my dream (if they replace mine)... I would find it really weird that mine gets repaired and not replaced like calieng's... 7 weeks since I saw my ML. :doh:
They might've just forgot about you. Seriously. It happens with gibson customer service. They forgot about the protector case I sent back them for two weeks until I called them and asked wtf was up. Then I had a refund later that day.

calieng

Reaction score

I agree with you but when you buy a guitar from Gibson you accept the terms of the warranty as part of the purchase contract. It say Gibson can replace your guitar with one of their chosing. The downside for them is an unhappy customer who will rant and rave all over the internet and never buy a new guitar from them again (like me perhaps).

I will try to stay positive and hope they send something nice. Bob at Customer Service did put in the warranty notes that the replacement must be of equal quality top and I also included a letter saying the same.

But I do agree with you. If Curt at HOG can send dozens of photos of new guitars at the Gibson factory to choose from (or any other dealer for that matter) then why not Gibson Customer Service?

calieng

Reaction score
They might've just forgot about you. Seriously. It happens with gibson customer service. They forgot about the protector case I sent back them for two weeks until I called them and asked wtf was up. Then I had a refund later that day.

Agreed. Mine have been 3 weeks turn around time (all three times so far).

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the second replacement for the UL aged ML '59 today.

Still the strong nitro smell. Fresh off the production line. I will leave it in the case for a week and see if the finish changes at all. It is in the 70 degree range here in San Diego today so there should be no temperature change issues to effect the finish.

Received in just a few weeks after sending in the second defect so that is good turn around time. Just still dissapointing not to get a better top.

No sign of my heavy aged replacement yet. That one had a killer top so I will not be accepting anything less than the same for that one.

New Guitar
View attachment 558400

Original
View attachment 558402
The flames not as punchy, but it terms of quality the new top is better, no mineral streaks in it which is how tops used to be selected for use as guitar tops from what i've read. I also truly hope your new ultra heavy aged is not just properly done, but an absolute belter.

KeoRS

Reaction score
The flames not as punchy, but it terms of quality the new top is better, no mineral streaks in it which is how tops used to be selected for use as guitar tops from what i've read. I also truly hope your new ultra heavy aged is not just properly done, but an absolute belter.

Is it just me (or maybe just the picture), but the new one seems to have more gloss in the finish?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone noticed that the flow of ML guitars seems to have slowed? Wildwood hasn't had any up on the new arrivals page for a month seems like.

I've said myself in the part that Gibson is not really set u p to strip and repaint guitars at the CS, and that the most likely thing that will happen if you send in a guitar under warranty, is that they'll send you a new one.

One feller here returned one for a horrible crooked tuner, and they sent a new guitar.

Thought is that they bandsaw them in half and that's that.

But maybe they can't bandsaw them fast enough if they're all messed up. Maybe they've shifted to fixing ones they have in house, at dealers, and returned ones.

Dunno, I'm interested to see what goes on here.
Same in uk, no new stock on shelves for a while, although i assumed covid was the reason why. Although most retailers sold all of their initial allocation, one small chain in UK has 34 in stock. I think they will struggle to shift them, given Gibsons handling of the whole mess. Which, whilst is providing a remedy of sorts, is not reassuring/filling potential customers with confidence in the ML brand and who would have, given we don't know beyond what C has been told, and that 'storm in a teacup' press release, what the real reason is and have they really fixed it?. Literally handed the other makers a PR gifthorse.

calieng

Reaction score
Is it just me (or maybe just the picture), but the new one seems to have more gloss in the finish?

The new ones are very glossy. The whole concept of aged is totally blown with these UL aged models. Only reason I like them is the thinner harder finish - assuming it stays on the guitars. To say it is aged though is a complete joke. It's a new guitar with a cracked finish. I actually would have preferred no aging just the thinner harder finish.

This particular guitar did sound very nice acoustically. Have not tried it more than a quick strum as it is in the case for a week as part of the experiment. But I still believe the thinner finish has something to do with that. And it does feel a little nicer than VOS (smoother not sticky)

By the way the necks seem to be getting smaller. Really seems like a '60s V2. It feels not as wide and not as deep as my other R9s. Will measure it when I get a chance. Probably just less shoulders.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
Same in uk, no new stock on shelves for a while, although i assumed covid was the reason why. Although most retailers sold all of their initial allocation, one small chain in UK has 34 in stock. I think they will struggle to shift them, given Gibsons handling of the whole mess. Which, whilst is providing a remedy of sorts, is not reassuring/filling potential customers with confidence in the ML brand and who would have, given we don't know beyond what C has been told, and that 'storm in a teacup' press release, what the real reason is and have they really fixed it?. Literally handed the other makers a PR gifthorse.

From July 29 to Aug 16 between the production of my first replacement to my second replacement the serial number increased by 107.

I assume that is for all '59s made not just ML.

I have no idea how that compares to normal production.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
I do feel for the retailers who now have the task of selling Gibson’s latest and greatest product while the manufacturer itself pulls the rug out from under them with a PR mess.

It’s also pretty grim for any customers caught in the dilemma of either playing ‘wait and see’ in the hope that the finish on their ML guitars doesn’t develop problems, or deciding whether it might be best to return a guitar now before its too late for a simple refund, meaning they’d have to go down the warranty/replacement route if finish starts to flake off later.

What could make the situation better for those like Calieng & KeoRS who sent guitars back for repair or replacement would surely be for Gibson to go ‘above and beyond’ with their response instead of merely doing what they are ‘required’ to. Seems to me that even just a little bit of extra communication in terms of offering a choice between a small selection of possible replacement guitars would go a long way towards alleviating some quite understandable customer dissatisfaction.

The company needs a reality check if they don’t understand that these are customer’s crazy-expensive dream guitars they are replacing, not some free promotional novelty toys ordered with cereal box tokens, and that there is a certain level of care and service that people might reasonably expect when they are paying lots and lots of money...

Latest Threads