Explanation For Finish Peeling on Murphy Lab LPs

framos

Reaction score
This and the other pic that someone posted with the finish issue next to the knobs.

Perhaps the pore filler explanation is nothing but smoke screen.

danzego

Reaction score
This and the other pic that someone posted with the finish issue next to the knobs.

Perhaps the pore filler explanation is nothing but smoke screen.
Or they’re wrong about it. Maybe the aging process they’re using now is tearing the ass out of these things.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Here’s a Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged ‘58 being sold as B stock due to finish flaking on the front of the guitar:

The actual finish loss is very minimal so far, but I guess the question for any prospective buyer would be whether more extensive flaking might occur in the future.

DDB3EB0A-9460-4810-9088-30F1A22BFCD2.jpeg

goodguy

Reaction score
They didn’t use old growth Honduran mahogany in those years. That’s unsubstantiated Internet blather. Not to say yours isn’t a fine guitar but most of the pre 2012 Historics I’ve played and owned, well over 50, were by in large tonally numb sounding definitely softer, muddier than my vintage Gibsons, replicas and post 2012 Historics.
Here’s your proof they were pulling old growth wood out of a National rainforest bud:
https://www.terrain.org/articles/19/smartwood.htm

Last edited:

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s your proof they were pulling old growth wood out of a National rainforest bud:
https://www.terrain.org/articles/19/smartwood.htm
That’s about as far from proof of anything I’ve seen bud.

Bottom line, if Gibson ever offered old growth mahogany they would be touting it in every marketing brochure and video not to mention charging a premium for it like they do with Brazilian.

Get real, this “good wood years“ nonsense is what I see every time someone wants to dump their pre 2013 Historic and try to convince some sucker that these older less accurate spec’d Les Pauls have some sort of extra value.

My Brazilians say Brazilian on the COA. If your COA doesn’t say old growth Honduran mahogany then it’s a load of BS.

calieng

Reaction score
Well Gibson sent me another guitar today. Arriving Tuesday.

Which one is it? The ML Heavy Aged '59 or the ML UL Aged '59? Who knows there was no communication again. I hope they picked a nice guitar for me this time!

It will be like Christmas morning opening the box to see what surprise awaits...."Happy NGD to all and to all a good night!"

Big John

minimize sucking
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson could fix this finish bullshit once and for all if they would just stop the PR diversion tactics, swallow their damn pride, and ask other pro finishers for help. There's good people around the world that know. Shit, get ahold of the guys that work on 6-figure Les Pauls. It isn't that tough to figure out.

DanD

Reaction score
It's about doing the aging quickly for Gibson. It's a profitability issue.

They are well aware that they could slow the process like many do but that doesn't fit into their profit model.

I still think the problem is the use of methods, like compressed air, that is breaking the finish down too quickly causing the 'shatter' that we see.

My guess is they're backing off on the compressed air treatment so as not to create the shatter areas that lift and peal off.

I seriously doubt they will ever slow the process for a better result.

KeoRS

Reaction score
Well Gibson sent me another guitar today. Arriving Tuesday.

Which one is it? The ML Heavy Aged '59 or the ML UL Aged '59? Who knows there was no communication again. I hope they picked a nice guitar for me this time!

It will be like Christmas morning opening the box to see what surprise awaits...."Happy NGD to all and to all a good night!"
Hi calieng and the MyLP forum crew.

This is my first post. Been following the different ML paint issue threads because I am affected by this as well. Thanks for everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge on the matter, and calieng: sorry for all the hardship experienced with your guitars.

I live in Canada and I purchased a 58 LP ML ultra light aged in June (bourbon burst with dark cherry back). It's the most amazing guitar I've ever owned and played. As soon as I received the guitar, it already had a flake of paint missing from the top of the headstock. A large seem with a delaminated chunk was visible in the cutaway. However, its my first aged guitar and I thought it may have been intentional. The look overall was amazing to be honest.

However, day after day a few small chunks of paint would come off around the back edge near the strap pin. Didn't think much of it... thought it was about to get the heavy aged treatment soon enough and for free haha. But when a larger chunk simply flacked off near the strap pin close to the neck... I grew suspicious that this is supposed to be normal. So when I found threads on MyLP and other sites, I understood that it was a defect.

I contacted Gibson and they asked that I visit my dealer. The dealer was really understanding of the situation, and the complications of having fallen in love with a specific guitar which brings stress to know what will happen next? Should I ask for Gibson to fix it? Will it be as nice if I do? What about not touching it? Would that affect the lifespan or playability of the guitar down the road? But I bit the bullet and accepted that my dealer send it to Yorkville Sound. Turns out Gibson solely deals with this company as their Canadian distributor.

Yorkville assessed the guitar and sent it to Gibson Custom Shop for repair. It has been a little over 6 weeks and the last news my dealer heard is that the guitar is getting repaired. It's actually the solution I preferred given I had really connected with THAT guitar. However, seeing what is currently happening with calieng, I worry that I may just get a new one. If I get it repaired, will it be as nice? Better? Worse? ... not the same soul? (haha guitarist-speak going on here).

All in all, I have to say Gibson really seems to want to help out with this. I can't wait to play my ML again... Have an awesome day everyone.

calieng

Reaction score
Hi calieng and the MyLP forum crew.

This is my first post. Been following the different ML paint issue threads because I am affected by this as well. Thanks for everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge on the matter, and calieng: sorry for all the hardship experienced with your guitars.

I live in Canada and I purchased a 58 LP ML ultra light aged in June (bourbon burst with dark cherry back). It's the most amazing guitar I've ever owned and played. As soon as I received the guitar, it already had a flake of paint missing from the top of the headstock. A large seem with a delaminated chunk was visible in the cutaway. However, its my first aged guitar and I thought it may have been intentional. The look overall was amazing to be honest.

However, day after day a few small chunks of paint would come off around the back edge near the strap pin. Didn't think much of it... thought it was about to get the heavy aged treatment soon enough and for free haha. But when a larger chunk simply flacked off near the strap pin close to the neck... I grew suspicious that this is supposed to be normal. So when I found threads on MyLP and other sites, I understood that it was a defect.

I contacted Gibson and they asked that I visit my dealer. The dealer was really understanding of the situation, and the complications of having fallen in love with a specific guitar which brings stress to know what will happen next? Should I ask for Gibson to fix it? Will it be as nice if I do? What about not touching it? Would that affect the lifespan or playability of the guitar down the road? But I bit the bullet and accepted that my dealer send it to Yorkville Sound. Turns out Gibson solely deals with this company as their Canadian distributor.

Yorkville assessed the guitar and sent it to Gibson Custom Shop for repair. It has been a little over 6 weeks and the last news my dealer heard is that the guitar is getting repaired. It's actually the solution I preferred given I had really connected with THAT guitar. However, seeing what is currently happening with calieng, I worry that I may just get a new one. If I get it repaired, will it be as nice? Better? Worse? ... not the same soul? (haha guitarist-speak going on here).

All in all, I have to say Gibson really seems to want to help out with this. I can't wait to play my ML again... Have an awesome day everyone.

I have had good luck in that Gibson has been sending replacements within 2 weeks of receiving the defective guitar back. I will have to see what I get this Tuesday but it would not be a repaired guitar in that short time. It has to be a replacement again. I am surprised to hear that they are actually repairing yours because I was told by Gibson that they cannot be repaired. You may have gotten some bad info.

In any case always ask or demand a refund whenever that is even a remote possibility and be determined. There will always be another nice guitar.

Good luck with yours and please let us know how you make out.

MikeyV

Reaction score
Anyone noticed that the flow of ML guitars seems to have slowed? Wildwood hasn't had any up on the new arrivals page for a month seems like.

I've said myself in the part that Gibson is not really set u p to strip and repaint guitars at the CS, and that the most likely thing that will happen if you send in a guitar under warranty, is that they'll send you a new one.

One feller here returned one for a horrible crooked tuner, and they sent a new guitar.

Thought is that they bandsaw them in half and that's that.

But maybe they can't bandsaw them fast enough if they're all messed up. Maybe they've shifted to fixing ones they have in house, at dealers, and returned ones.

Dunno, I'm interested to see what goes on here.

calieng

Reaction score
Anyone noticed that the flow of ML guitars seems to have slowed? Wildwood hasn't had any up on the new arrivals page for a month seems like.

I've said myself in the part that Gibson is not really set u p to strip and repaint guitars at the CS, and that the most likely thing that will happen if you send in a guitar under warranty, is that they'll send you a new one.

One feller here returned one for a horrible crooked tuner, and they sent a new guitar.

Thought is that they bandsaw them in half and that's that.

But maybe they can't bandsaw them fast enough if they're all messed up. Maybe they've shifted to fixing ones they have in house, at dealers, and returned ones.

Dunno, I'm interested to see what goes on here.
If the finish is peeling off the back and sides due to the defective cherry pore filler mix then they are destroyed and a replacement sent. The wood is contaminated and would be too much work to try to refinish (as told to me by Gibson Customer Service).

If they are being sent back due to thin brittle finish like on the top or headstock with a few minor chips then maybe they get repaired and returned.

Still waiting to hear from anyone else who has sent one in for warranty work who has actually gotten the guitar back yet (other than me).

calieng

Reaction score

calieng

Reaction score
Well I got the second replacement for the UL aged ML '59 today.

Once again looks like a nice guitar but the top is still not close to the one I originally purchased. Hard to even call it a flame top. More like a figured top that used to go on '58s rather than a '59.

Still the strong nitro smell. Fresh off the production line. I will leave it in the case for a week and see if the finish changes at all. It is in the 70 degree range here in San Diego today so there should be no temperature change issues to effect the finish.

Received in just a few weeks after sending in the second defect so that is good turn around time. Just still dissapointing not to get a better top.

No sign of my heavy aged replacement yet. That one had a killer top so I will not be accepting anything less than the same for that one.

New Guitar
IMG_3621.JPG

Original
Gibson-Custom-Shop-1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue-Ultra-Light-Aged-Electric-Guitar-Southern-Fa...jpg

KeoRS

Reaction score
Well I got the second replacement for the UL aged ML '59 today.

Once again looks like a nice guitar but the top is still not close to the one I originally purchased. Hard to even call it a flame top. More like a figured top that used to go on '58s rather than a '59.

Still the strong nitro smell. Fresh off the production line. I will leave it in the case for a week and see if the finish changes at all. It is in the 70 degree range here in San Diego today so there should be no temperature change issues to effect the finish.

Received in just a few weeks after sending in the second defect so that is good turn around time. Just still dissapointing not to get a better top.

No sign of my heavy aged replacement yet. That one had a killer top so I will not be accepting anything less than the same for that one.

New Guitar
View attachment 558400

Original
View attachment 558402
Thanks for the update! I gather you didn’t have a chance to notice any differences in the finish given you want to keep it in the case for a few days? (I.e. perceived thickness/brittleness, ageing/checking quality, etc.)

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
What are they spraying on these? It doesn't look like the finish has bonded correctly with the wood. I had this happen on a Strat neck i finished once, turned out to be the lacquer that was faulty and I had to re-do it.

calieng

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I gather you didn’t have a chance to notice any differences in the finish given you want to keep it in the case for a few days? (I.e. perceived thickness/brittleness, ageing/checking quality, etc.)
Looks and smells identical to the prior replacement I received that started flaking after a few days. Serial number is even pretty close so I do not think they are selling a bunch of these at the moment.

But for both replacements yes the finish is different than the originals. The cherry color looks a little more wine than red of the original. The finish also looks a little more translucent than the more opaque original. Hard to say on the thickness. Maybe the same or just slightly thicker.

Latest Threads