Explanation For Finish Peeling on Murphy Lab LPs

calieng

Reaction score
This was my old '89. I sold it to a friend, but he loves it, so I bought an '87 recently as a replacement:

IMG-0097.jpg

Ha!

Whoever aged that one did not know what they were doing.....does not look anything like a Murphy Lab aged guitar!

:)

(a joke of course).

KS 5150

Reaction score
Ha!

Whoever aged that one did not know what they were doing.....does not look anything like a Murphy Lab aged guitar!

:)

(a joke of course).

It's crazy...the finish is still on it and not peeling off in chunks. Not at all accurate to real aging lol

amorrow

Reaction score
it was hard to take the decision to bring it back to my dealer and discuss options… best guitar I’ve ever played. It was sent back to the Custom Shop over 10 weeks ago and I still haven’t gotten any news back (besides it’s in the queue). Been told it was going to get refinished, but everyone affected by the defect say they received replacements. We shall see!

I hear you. It was a tough decision to send mine back, but I did even though the flaking wasn’t as severe. But I did receive it back and Gibson really did an outstanding job with it. Hope you have the same experience!

KeoRS

Reaction score
I hear you. It was a tough decision to send mine back, but I did even though the flaking wasn’t as severe. But I did receive it back and Gibson really did an outstanding job with it. Hope you have the same experience!

Wait!! They actually repaired yours? Its the first time I hear someone confirm this. Usually people receive replacements and have no say with what is given back to them. Any noticeable differences in the finish before and after? Have they touched the top? Is the ageing/color different?

Thanks for your time!

PageSide84

Reaction score
That peeling can be repaired by putting a sticker over the spot. People are so picky about how their guitars look. Besides, a Blink-182 sticker would look great on a Murphy-aged R9.

amorrow

Reaction score
Wait!! They actually repaired yours? Its the first time I hear someone confirm this. Usually people receive replacements and have no say with what is given back to them. Any noticeable differences in the finish before and after? Have they touched the top? Is the ageing/color different?

Thanks for your time!

Yes, Gibson repaired mine. Customer service was actually very good to work with, and offered me the option of replacement, partial refinish, or full refinish (I did call them).

The new finish feels as hard, but does look a bit thicker and is smoother over the checking. None of my Gibsons have such a smooth finish on the sides of the headstock, and they did blend the areas worn down to the wood more this time around...I can't feel the line at all where the neck is worn near the binding. Color is similar, but the back and neck are a bit brighter red, and the top is a bit darker with fuller burst than before. Aging is comparable to what it was before....a bit less checking especially on headstock, but maybe a bit heavier "wear".

Here are some pics. And I've posted other pics of it before the refinish if you want to compare.

All in all, I'm very pleased and think they really stepped up!

qGux6Vt.jpg

sfn3I90.jpg

5CdkhSh.jpg

2T6wDe4.jpg

0NYZ9tB.jpg

GhFQrT8.jpg

cahBehb.jpg

XR0PUCz.jpg

Last edited:

KeoRS

Reaction score
Yes, Gibson repaired mine. Customer service was actually very good to work with, and offered me the option of replacement, partial refinish, or full refinish. The new finish feels just as hard, but does feel a bit thicker and smoother. None of my Gibsons have such a smooth finish on the sides of the headstock, and they did blend the areas worn down to the wood more this time around...I can't feel the line at all where the neck is worn near the binding. Color is similar, but the back and neck are a bit brighter red, and the top is a bit darker with fuller burst than before. Aging is comparable to what it was before....but a bit less checking, but some additional "wear".

Here are some pics. And I've posted other pics of it before the refinish if you want to compare.

qGux6Vt.jpg

sfn3I90.jpg

5CdkhSh.jpg

2T6wDe4.jpg

0NYZ9tB.jpg

GhFQrT8.jpg

XR0PUCz.jpg
Awesome!! That turned out amazing! Really happy for you that it got resolved the right way. Fingers crossed for mine ;)

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, Gibson repaired mine. Customer service was actually very good to work with, and offered me the option of replacement, partial refinish, or full refinish. The new finish feels just as hard, but does feel a bit thicker and smoother. None of my Gibsons have such a smooth finish on the sides of the headstock, and they did blend the areas worn down to the wood more this time around...I can't feel the line at all where the neck is worn near the binding. Color is similar, but the back and neck are a bit brighter red, and the top is a bit darker with fuller burst than before. Aging is comparable to what it was before....but a bit less checking, but some additional "wear".

qGux6Vt.jpg

sfn3I90.jpg

5CdkhSh.jpg

2T6wDe4.jpg

0NYZ9tB.jpg

GhFQrT8.jpg

XR0PUCz.jpg
Wow Adam, that looks really good. Proves that Gibson can rectify this issue with what look like great results.

Chris @calieng was this never offered as an option for you, especially with that gorgeous top you sent back most recently?

calieng

Reaction score
Wow Adam, that looks really good. Proves that Gibson can rectify this issue with what look like great results.

Chris @calieng was this never offered as an option for you, especially with that gorgeous top you sent back most recently?

Nope. And I am still try to work something out on the last return. I just spoke to Gibson Customer Service today and they are still saying the ones with the bad pore filler are destroyed.

Maybe this other one had just some issues with the nitro itself and not the pore filler? Do we know the date of manufacture?

Thanks.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Yes, Gibson repaired mine. Customer service was actually very good to work with, and offered me the option of replacement, partial refinish, or full refinish (I did call them).

The new finish feels as hard, but does look a bit thicker and is smoother over the checking. None of my Gibsons have such a smooth finish on the sides of the headstock, and they did blend the areas worn down to the wood more this time around...I can't feel the line at all where the neck is worn near the binding. Color is similar, but the back and neck are a bit brighter red, and the top is a bit darker with fuller burst than before. Aging is comparable to what it was before....a bit less checking especially on headstock, but maybe a bit heavier "wear".

qGux6Vt.jpg

sfn3I90.jpg

5CdkhSh.jpg

2T6wDe4.jpg

0NYZ9tB.jpg

GhFQrT8.jpg

cahBehb.jpg

XR0PUCz.jpg
Looks great. So was this a partial or full refinish in the end?

amorrow

Reaction score
Thanks, it was a full refinish. That’s what Gibson recommended, and I think only offered to do spot repairs after I told them how much I liked the guitar and didn’t really want anything altered other than the areas starting to lift.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Thanks, it was a full refinish. That’s what Gibson recommended, and I think only offered to do spot repairs after I told them how much I liked the guitar and didn’t really want anything altered other than the areas starting to lift.

I loved the whole vibe of your guitar when you posted about it before, so I’m really glad to hear that the refinish has worked out for you. Fingers crossed that has sorted all the finish problems for good now.

I haven’t compared in detail the post-refin pics to the images of how the guitar looked originally, but it does look to me as though Gibson has done a good job overall. Even if they haven’t replicated each individual mark of the wear exactly, the vibe remains strong indeed!

More than anything else, I’m impressed they even attempted to refinish a guitar that appeared to have plenty of in-the-wood dings, chips, scratches, and buckle worming, from the first relic job...

Tell me, did you return the guitar to Gibson with the set of vintage Grovers installed, or did you put the original set of modern Grovers back on?

calieng

Reaction score
Mine had a 2/25/21 checklist date.

Thanks for the info. The replacement I received from my last return was a January 2021 build date. I am still thinking this was someone elses guitar that was touched up.

It is baffling that mine just get replaced with a new guitar and they tell me the defective ones are destroyed and others seem to be waiting months for repairs or refinishes or are given a variety of repair options. I wonder if it is just the support person you end up speaking with?

I have been dealing with Bob and Andrew at Gibson.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
It is baffling that mine just get replaced with a new guitar and they tell me the defective ones are destroyed and others seem to be waiting months for repairs or refinishes or are given a variety of repair options. I wonder if it is just the support person you end up speaking with?

I know I’m singing the same old song here, but for someone spending $$$$$ on luxury items that turned out to be defective, the customer service you have personally received from Gibson just ain’t good enough. And now we find out that it is actually within Gibson’s ability to get it right, but only sometimes...

Of course, it’s great news to hear that some customers are having more positive outcomes, but it’s a shame you didn’t get the same consideration.

amorrow

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I was very impressed with the feel and overall vibe of this one when I first got it, and I’m so relieved it came back as good as before. Some of the deeper scratches such as this big arching one on the back were kept, I imagine out of necessity, but I can’t even tell it’s been done a second time. They really did an awesome job of redoing everything without removing a noticeable amount of wood anywhere on the guitar.

And ha, yes I shipped it back with the vintage Grovers and all…came back just as it was. Actually think they did a better job than I did fitting my “custom” jack plate…cut from aluminum scrap used to make an oil cooler housing for my ‘70 Mustang awhile back, but looked fairly close in thickness to one on JP’s #1. Lol

spartacus slim

Reaction score
And ha, yes I shipped it back with the vintage Grovers and all…came back just as it was. Actually think they did a better job than I did fitting my “custom” jack plate…cut from aluminum scrap used to make an oil cooler housing for my ‘70 Mustang awhile back, but looked fairly close in thickness to one on JP’s #1. Lol
I’m just relieved to hear that no one at Gibson pulled a slick move about those modifications invalidating the warranty!:rofl::cheers:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just relieved to hear that no one at Gibson pulled a slick move about those modifications invalidating the warranty!:rofl::cheers:
thats a very good point, so we can give kudos for that at least. I think what someone at gibson missed though, was one customer had been disproportionally affected by this issue, and they really should have gone to bat and sorted that quickly.
Its a shame, as the launch of the older style lacquer was for me the final addition to the reissues. I didn't want the aging though, but on the light aged one i bought even though its heavy aged looking R8 it looks convincing enough.

Latest Threads