Explanation For Finish Peeling on Murphy Lab LPs

KS 5150

Reaction score
They have to pay for all the defective ones they took back and sawed in two.

But seriously the prices for lots of different models has gotten completely stupid. I doubt I will buy anything else new again. I'll just stick to my current gear and be happy with it.
We've been dealing with that in Canada since before the pandemic started. Nothing in stock and prices through the roof. I did notice that my local Long & McQuade have some new stuff, but the prices are ridiculous.

mjross

Reaction score
We've been dealing with that in Canada since before the pandemic started. Nothing in stock and prices through the roof. I did notice that my local Long & McQuade have some new stuff, but the prices are ridiculous.
My SA rep told me they are not discounting the advertised price on any of their Gibson Guitars!

mjross

Reaction score
Here is what I would have done, don’t pay cash.

Why is not important anymore, the fact that they are is all I need to know.

Personally I would buy vintage, or used. Real play wear vs aged, and never deal with this type of stuff again. Gibson makes Great instruments, their talking heads are A waste of time.

Move on my friend, let Your wallet do the talking.
Strange thing, I just purchased a 2003 triple pickup BB ”57” with real “honest play wear” and I’m really diggin it. Normally, I would not touch a guitar unless it was pristine or a relic. With all that’s going on right now with inventory and prices, “honest play wear” is making a lot more sense to me. Actually, this guitar reminds me of a “lightly aged” but at a much better price!

KS 5150

Reaction score
Strange thing, I just purchased a 2003 triple pickup BB ”57” with real “honest play wear” and I’m really diggin it. Normally, I would not touch a guitar unless it was pristine or a relic. With all that’s going on right now with inventory and prices, “honest play wear” is making a lot more sense to me. Actually, this guitar reminds me of a “lightly aged” but at a much better price!
I've had that too. I used to have an '89 LPC Custom BB that was naturally aged by heavy play by a previous owner. Unfortunately, had to sell it to help finance my '74.

mjross

Reaction score
I've had that too. I used to have an '89 LPC Custom BB that was naturally aged by heavy play by a previous owner. Unfortunately, had to sell it to help finance my '74.
I’m beginning to think that “honest play wear” is the next big thing, not that it hasn’t always been! With what’s going on right now with prices, it’s looking very attractive if you dig that relic thing. If you can find the right guitar owned by the right person, “honest play wear“ is difficult to distinguish from a high cost relic. This may not be an issue for some but their was a time when I would not consider a used guitar, however I have been making exceptions for relics. My used “57” is hard to distinguish from a 7K relic and probably sounds as good, maybe better. Something to consider in this current environment. YMMV…

Last edited:

framos

Reaction score
I also like this “honest play wear” idea.

It is hard to find one that had been used up to the "sweet spot" (if such thing exists), but when you do, it's really nice.

mjross

Reaction score
I also like this “honest play wear” idea.

It is hard to find one that had been used up to the "sweet spot" (if such thing exists), but when you do, it's really nice.
Hear that!

calieng

Reaction score
I’m beginning to think that “honest play wear” is the next big thing, not that it hasn’t always been! With what’s going on right now with prices, it’s looking very attractive if you dig that relic thing. If you can find the right guitar owned by the right person, “honest play wear“ is difficult to distinguish from a high cost relic. This may not be an issue for some but their was a time when I would not consider a used guitar, however I have been making exceptions for relics. My used “57” is hard to distinguish from a 7K relic and probably sounds as good, maybe better. Something to consider in this current environment. YMMV…

The biggest problem with real play wear is having to do a fret replacement or divots in the fretboard etc. But definitely have the mojo when played for years....

mjross

Reaction score
The biggest problem with real play wear is having to do a fret replacement or divots in the fretboard etc. But definitely have the mojo when played for years....
Lucked out on my 2003 “57” BB 3 pickup, frets show hardly any play wear and no divots in the fretboard! it has a few nicks and dings and a little worming on the back but overall, very nice! That’s why I mention previously about buying from the right person. What really surprised me was how well she played. Little heavy but otherwise a keeper. Glad now that I took a change and gave it a shot!

Last edited:

GearHo

Reaction score
Not to condone the finish issues with the Lab guitars, that is more personal preference of what you are willing to tolerate.

But in their defense look closely at this 1956 ES 295, and you can see the finish flaking off the top after all these years so it is not uncommon as far as vintage wear is concerned.

KeoRS

Reaction score
Not to condone the finish issues with the Lab guitars, that is more personal preference of what you are willing to tolerate.

But in their defense look closely at this 1956 ES 295, and you can see the finish flaking off the top after all these years so it is not uncommon as far as vintage wear is concerned.

sorry, this is nothing like what was happening with my ML. I would not have worried if that was on my guitar.

GearHo

Reaction score
I am sure it’s not the same as your ML, but i have noticed that there is a similarity. Post a pic of your ML so we can see what you aree looking at.

KeoRS

Reaction score
C90321CC-346B-40B8-A8DB-813FBF4E9588.jpeg
E5BB3401-E1D3-4407-A08C-0B356E89DA76.jpeg
D2D8F902-0F51-4B97-A2CD-1C1F0C3AD9CE.jpeg

What I can compare the two is that the vintage has chips, whereas mine was flaking off. The chips on the vintage are probably the result of having the guitar knocked on something. My ML’s paint was not adhered properly to the body and the paint was flaking off in chunks where the checking was produced during the ageing process. The chips on the vintage seem to have rounded off edges, where my ML had sharp edges leading to additional flaking.

GearHo

Reaction score
View attachment 562567 View attachment 562571 View attachment 562572
What I can compare the two is that the vintage has chips, whereas mine was flaking off. The chips on the vintage are probably the result of having the guitar knocked on something. My ML’s paint was not adhered properly to the body and the paint was flaking off in chunks where the checking was produced during the ageing process. The chips on the vintage seem to have rounded off edges, where my ML had sharp edges leading to additional flaking.
yup, that’s fugly…are you having it replaced?

KeoRS

Reaction score
yup, that’s fugly…are you having it replaced?
it was hard to take the decision to bring it back to my dealer and discuss options… best guitar I’ve ever played. It was sent back to the Custom Shop over 10 weeks ago and I still haven’t gotten any news back (besides it’s in the queue). Been told it was going to get refinished, but everyone affected by the defect say they received replacements. We shall see!

GearHo

Reaction score
it was hard to take the decision to bring it back to my dealer and discuss options… best guitar I’ve ever played. It was sent back to the Custom Shop over 10 weeks ago and I still haven’t gotten any news back (besides it’s in the queue). Been told it was going to get refinished, but everyone affected by the defect say they received replacements. We shall see!
good luck, I hope it turns out well for you.

KS 5150

Reaction score
This was my old '89. I sold it to a friend, but he loves it, so I bought an '87 recently as a replacement:

Latest Threads