Explanation For Finish Peeling on Murphy Lab LPs

calieng

Reaction score
Matt replied on the LP forum, said he already stated why the finish is flaking off
100 guitars affected
does Not understand any issues with customer service regarding ML s

walked back the comments on the cc line, apparently he was misquoted, but would not say specifically what he did say.
100 guitars - ha! I have returned 9 just little old me. Actually 10 when I send back this latest replacement.

How many ML guitars with cherry backs were made from fall of 2020 to mid 2021? More than 100.

Can you ask him why Gibson is sending out old stock with defective pore filler as replacements for defective guitars - seriously can you ask in a nice way so the post does not get deleted?

kewl kat

Reaction score
Not if it’s the usual Gibson propaganda. Are they going to blame the customer again for the finish falling off?
They call them "Fan Bois". I believe the PRC is currently calling - that kind - "Girlie Men". :rofl:

Butt li##ers, ass ki$$ers, I wouldn't wanna be one...

Cheers. :cheers:

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve largely abandoned the LPF. Everything has slowed to a crawl over there, there’s nothing remotely close to The Backstage, and from what I can tell, Tom Wittrock doesn’t post as much anymore, and he was a main draw for me.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
100 guitars - ha! I have returned 9 just little old me. Actually 10 when I send back this latest replacement.

How many ML guitars with cherry backs were made from fall of 2020 to mid 2021? More than 100.

Can you ask him why Gibson is sending out old stock with defective pore filler as replacements for defective guitars - seriously can you ask in a nice way so the post does not get deleted?
I posted this:

“Hi Mat!

Let me preface my inquiry with this: I have no dog in this race but in the interest of picking your brain, I’ll ask my question with no reservations but also without any note of accusation or hostility.

It’s come to my attention, as I’ve been following developments surrounding the finish issues at Murphy Labs, that there are now documented, albeit isolated cases, of Gibson replacing defective ML instruments affected by the pore filler issues with ML guitars also exhibiting finish issues affected by the pore filler issues. In these isolated cases, the replacement guitars themselves seem to be ML guitars that were repaired and/or affected ML old stock and shipped to customers affected by the original pore filler issues.

Can you shed any further light on this?”

calieng

Reaction score

Thank you for doing this. My replacement guitar received just a week or so ago was made in Jan 2021 and was a serial number 9 digits lower than the one it was replacing. Likely made on the same day and certainly has defective cherry pore filler.

So from all that we can conclude that nothing can be believed that is uttered from the mouths of current Gibson staff.

I am so disgusted and feel so ashamed of the 10s of thousands of dollars I have spent on these guitars....

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Historic Makeovers shoots nitro straight from the can with no additives. And they apply the finish thicker than Gibson. They learned from trial and error over the years.
HM has certainly had their share of errors...I would take a Murphy Lab with the paint flaking off over HM's hit-or-miss any day of the week.

3 years later and I still don't even want to hear the mention of their name.... :laugh2:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Thank you for doing this. My replacement guitar received just a week or so ago was made in Jan 2021 and was a serial number 9 digits lower than the one it was replacing. Likely made on the same day and certainly has defective cherry pore filler.

So from all that we can conclude that nothing can be believed that is uttered from the mouths of current Gibson staff.

I am so disgusted and feel so ashamed of the 10s of thousands of dollars I have spent on these guitars....
I can 100% see why you feel this way after being a loyal customer all those years .... I think your experience has acted as a warning to others ... be very careful, 9K is a lot to lose on a dud guitar

GearHo

Reaction score
Here is what I would have done, don’t pay cash.

Why is not important anymore, the fact that they are is all I need to know.

Personally I would buy vintage, or used. Real play wear vs aged, and never deal with this type of stuff again. Gibson makes Great instruments, their talking heads are A waste of time.

Move on my friend, let Your wallet do the talking.

calieng

Reaction score
Here is what I would have done, don’t pay cash.

Why is not important anymore, the fact that they are is all I need to know.

Personally I would buy vintage, or used. Real play wear vs aged, and never deal with this type of stuff again. Gibson makes Great instruments, their talking heads are A waste of time.

Move on my friend, let Your wallet do the talking.
Yes I would be happy to move on once I sort out this last return. Hopefully issues do not arise with the SG, ES-335 and Goldtop MLs down the road because I still have a few of those....

Lesson learned - do not be an early adopter. I relied on Tom Murphys years of experience but I should not have as it turns out.

calieng

Reaction score
HM has certainly had their share of errors...I would take a Murphy Lab with the paint flaking off over HM's hit-or-miss any day of the week.

3 years later and I still don't even want to hear the mention of their name.... :laugh2:

Sorry to hear that. Kim mentioned they had their share of trial and error with the finish along the way. But he seems like a nice guy and I have had good luck so far.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

calieng

Reaction score
I can 100% see why you feel this way after being a loyal customer all those years .... I think your experience has acted as a warning to others ... be very careful, 9K is a lot to lose on a dud guitar
Thanks for your post.

I hope my irritating Gibson serves in a small way to help the next guy out. Matt (from Gibson) over at Les Paul Forum says when you return a guitar you get a replacement guitar with the same SKU. That is not right. They need to send some photos of replacement options as others have suggested. The guitar I bought for $9k was not just sitting on a shelf at Walmart with a dozen others with the same SKU. It was unique as all guitars are.

Hopefully I can bug them enough that they get that message and use more care in the return process. I am sure the Gibson legal department is going to be asking Customer Service WTF is going on when they start getting paperwork from San Diego County Court to appear and provide their emails with dealers regarding Murphy Lab issues for evidence.....that should poke the bear a bit.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Kim mentioned they had their share of trial and error with the finish along the way. But he seems like a nice guy and I have had good luck so far.
Admittedly, I know too much...and I know what exactly what doesn't look right.

Even today, HM has stuff that just flat looks and IS wrong....but everybody goes gaga.

'59 LP replica/copy builders have "upped their game" in recent years because people have become more discerning.

Eventually a large chunk of the HM stuff is going to get refinished AGAIN once people get "discernment" on finishes.

That stuff very often SCREAMS wrong to me...but now and then...they nail it.

Go figure.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score

Even today, HM has stuff that just flat looks and IS wrong....but everybody goes gaga.

'59 LP replica/copy builders have "upped their game" in recent years because people have become more discerning.

Eventually a large chunk of the HM stuff is going to get refinished AGAIN once people get "discernment" on finishes.

Go figure.
I am having a couple True Historics done by them primarily to shave the necks down. I asked for no aging because I have become a convert to the school of age the guitar by playing it. They did a good job with my Ace Frehley but I understand if some people did not have the same experience.

Thanks.

Rhye

Reaction score

Go figure.
I know it's off topic but any chance you could share more of your knowledge on this? I'd love to learn what's still in missing in HM's work

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know it's off topic but any chance you could share more of your knowledge on this? I'd love to learn what's still in missing in HM's work
HM consistently uses a dull pale yellow undercoat colorant. Their guitars end up looking (overall) pink or tan, but not yellow or amber.

It is the wrong hue and not nearly as vibrant as it should be.

They did it to one of my guitars even after I ASKED IN WRITING, that they put a double hit of yellow on it to make sure it was vibrant enough. They did not.

I asked them to do 3 things. They didn't do 1 of them.

Never again.

2017_0_Paint_HM.jpg

KeoRS

Reaction score
Thanks for your post.

I hope my irritating Gibson serves in a small way to help the next guy out. Matt (from Gibson) over at Les Paul Forum says when you return a guitar you get a replacement guitar with the same SKU. That is not right. They need to send some photos of replacement options as others have suggested. The guitar I bought for $9k was not just sitting on a shelf at Walmart with a dozen others with the same SKU. It was unique as all guitars are.

Hopefully I can bug them enough that they get that message and use more care in the return process. I am sure the Gibson legal department is going to be asking Customer Service WTF is going on when they start getting paperwork from San Diego County Court to appear and provide their emails with dealers regarding Murphy Lab issues for evidence.....that should poke the bear a bit.
I just noticed that the list price for my Murphy Lab model, the 58 LP Ultra Light Aged in Bourbon Burst, increased from 6500$ Cdn to 7200$ Cdn overnight! Hmmm, wonder why? :shock:

calieng

Reaction score
Apparently lighter red pore filler is far more expensive that dark red pore filler...:facepalm:
They have to pay for all the defective ones they took back and sawed in two.

But seriously the prices for lots of different models has gotten completely stupid. I doubt I will buy anything else new again. I'll just stick to my current gear and be happy with it.

Latest Threads