Explanation For Finish Peeling on Murphy Lab LPs

GearHo

Reaction score
How to take one of the most iconic names in Gibson history, Tom Murphy, and turn it into shit in one year.

yes I am Talking to you JC, and your band of merry asshats, you make nice Things suck again.

Buy used, support your forum members.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
901589 was made in 2020 but finished on Jan 19th 2021 View attachment 559102

Yes the date was probably a mistake. Should have been Jan 2021 not Jan 2020. By the way the guitar being replaced was 9 digitis higher (1601) than the replacement so they likely were made on the same day with the same defective pore filler.

Customer: "Dear Ford - My 1972 Pinto explodes when hit from behind"
Ford Motors: "Dear Customer - Please accept this 1972 Pinto as a replacement of a color of our choosing"
Customer: "But won't it explode too???"

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Well the saga continues. Gibson Customer Services refuses to even contact Willcutt's to try to resolve this matter and work towards a refund.

I asked for my original guitar back so I can return it to the dealer. What are the chances they still have it or will give it back to me?

Will keep you posted....

Torshalla

Reaction score
Man sorry to hear… this will cost Gibson more than if they owned the issue professionnally…

GearHo

Reaction score
Well the saga continues. Gibson Customer Services refuses to even contact Willcutt's to try to resolve this matter and work towards a refund.

I asked for my original guitar back so I can return it to the dealer. What are the chances they still have it or will give it back to me?

Will keep you posted....

Matt Koehler is now on THE les Paul forum, answering questions……

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought..... really doesn’t help this thread much..... has anyone here ever emailed Gibson to tell them what a fantastic job they did building their guitar?...... I know it’s what is expected with a high dollar purchase.... it better be goddamn perfect.... yeah I get it.

But I’m sure a lot of us had perfectly built guitars... I think if you let them know they did.... they might pay more attention or be more responsible when they don’t.

Or maybe they won’t.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Matt Koehler is now on THE les Paul forum, answering questions……
yep, got that one on my watch list over there .... very interesting .... and everybody's playing nice too ....

Torshalla

Reaction score
If he comes to speak openly, it is fair to play nice and speak openly too.
I really want Gibson to succeed… and I hope the ML line turns out to be great…

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to ask Mr. Koehler why he trash talks Gibson of the past to embellish the crap their pushing now?

It seems to me it alienates and makes idiots of long time owners and buyers of the brand.

Matt’s Comments mean dirt to me.

Just my opinion

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
I would go over there and post something but I got banned for life for mentioning the Murphy Lab issues.....maybe someone can ask on my behalf why they send defective guitars as replacements for defective guitars....would really like to know.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
and everybody's playing nice too ....
like they have a choice.

It’s a controlled environment. The owners of that forum are in bed with Gibson… hence the deletion of Calieng’s thread and his permaban for posting what he did about Murphy Labs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if questions need to be submitted for approval prior to posting, lol.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
his comments are quite interesting actually, he does go into some detail about new improvements coming in the future and if it all comes to fruition I think everyone will be happy, myself I played my 2017 R8 all summer covered in sweat and the so called lacquer, after reacting with my skin, has turned the entire finish into a big, gooey, sticky mess which seemingly cannot be corrected other than wet sanding the entire instrument with 12K Micro-mesh to get the Goo-gone ... I hope the new ML hard lacquer does work out because I'm sick to death of the old crap .... it's a joke

Subterfuge

Reaction score
yeah, I'm sure it's Policed but some news is better than no news IMHO ...

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
his comments are quite interesting actually, he does go into some detail about new improvements coming in the future and if it all comes to fruition I think everyone will be happy, myself I played my 2017 R8 all summer covered in sweat and the so called lacquer, after reacting with my skin, has turned the entire finish into a big, gooey, sticky mess which seemingly cannot be corrected other than wet sanding the entire instrument with 12K Micro-mesh to get the Goo-gone ... I hope the new ML hard lacquer does work out because I'm sick to death of the old crap .... it's a joke

If they did it like Historic Makeovers - just shoot nitro straight from the can and thicker - then they would be fine. But I think they are using some additive because the guitars smell toxic when new from the factory.

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
Is it really a coincidence that Matt is on Les Paul Forum today?

I told Bob Burns from Gibson Customer Service yesterday in an email that I was posting about my issues with ML guitars on here and the Gear page and that some of the posts had been refered to on Youtube and online guitar sites and now Matt is doing damage control today??? Do they actually care about my online rants?

"Hi Bob,

I do not know if you got my other message but I am doing a claim thru Paypal to have the dealer refund my purchase price. If unsuccessful my net options are a chargeback thru Mastercard and then Small Claims Court.

Have Willcutt’s Guitars contracted you? I provided them the RMA and your contact info.

Ideally I would ask Gibson to work with the dealer to facilitate the refund and give them credit for the returned guitar.

I have had to deal with 9 returns of Murphy Lab guitars now - most for refunds but 2 thru Gibson via warranty and in both cases received guitars back that we not of equal quality and also had issues. I do not want to deal with exchanges anymore. I want a refund.

My posts about these issues online have been featured on Youtube videos and quoted in online guitar magazines and there are thousands of customers awaiting the hear how this most recent return is handled. You may look on My Les Paul Forum and The Gear Page Forum for those posts. It is in everyones best interest to facilitate a refund at this point so we can all put this behind us.

Please let me know if I can do anything further to help in processing a refund. You may also send a return label for the replacement guitar which is rejected.

Thank you."

P.S. Willcutts is ignoring this too. No response to the Paypal claim after several days. Judge Judy here we come!

GearHo

Reaction score
Matt replied on the LP forum, said he already stated why the finish is flaking off
100 guitars affected
does Not understand any issues with customer service regarding ML s

walked back the comments on the cc line, apparently he was misquoted, but would not say specifically what he did say.

Latest Threads